HKPRO Forums banner

Can someone explain why the MR556 and MR762 are special?

6K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  RegularGuy461969 
#1 ·
I’m a HUGE fan of HK pistols and carry one every day. That being said, what is so special about the MR556 and MR762? All I see are a couple AR clones with piston uppers. What am I missing?

#9 ·
Basically they are both the civilian versions of the HK 416 and HK 417

From an HK history stand point, I believe that HK came up with the direct pistol design for those two rifles. Then when they made the civilian models, that carried over.

It's not like you are buying an off the shelf AR Clone. This is a seriously engineered and manufactured rifle. The US military bought a lot of the 416's for our soldiers.

#10 ·
Just cause the military bought some does not mean there special!!! Both military and L.E are cheap look at glock 90% LE carry them why??? Or goes bang every time you pull the trigger!!!! Does not mean it’s special!!!!! People are hung up on brand that’s all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
Which is why the US MILITARY puts out RFP's asking for firearms manufacturers who are willing to put their firearm up for testing - they ALWAYS have to meet certain specifications. They have to compete against all comers. And even then, some times the best weapon is not chosen.

WHY? PRICE POINT. THAT'S ALL.

So, you have to make the best firearm, you have to go head to head in testing against all the other firearm manufacturers willing to compete for the contract.

And even if you win the quality test and adhere to all the specifications, and are ACTUALLY THE BEST FIREARM PRESENTED TO THE US MILITARY, yet you could still lose contract. Because someone else offers up something 'close' but cheaper.

ME? I always put quality first, price second. But I'm weird like that.

#24 ·
I'll tell you why, although no one will believe me - even though I have a witness. I sighted in my new MR762 yesterday. At 100 yards it was shooting 3/8" 3 shot groups with Federal 168 GMM. Not 1 MOA. 3/8" three shot groups.

Piston guns don't shoot like that. Semi-auto 7.62s don't shoot like that. But this one does, and that's special... Worth every penny I paid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Yeah...groups like that and no pics...

Over on the hide, there's a dude ragging on KAC's offering money to anyone who can show proof of 6x5 (that's 6x 5-round groups...which really weeds out statistical anomalies) of 3/4 or 1/2 MOA...I can't remember or better from a semi auto...get on that; make some money.

Piston guns can shoot well
Semi Auto's can shoot well...it's often the people that simply don't know how to drive them. I'll argue that learning to drive a large-frame 308 semi auto from real-world positions (not bench) is one of the hardest disciplines I've faced in shooting to date, but it can be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.