Why is the 416 "better"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the 416 "better"

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is the 416 "better"

i've been looking around on the web about the 416.....and the only reason people say it is better than a regular AR is because of the gas piston. that can't be the only reason why it is better. don't get me wrong i think it is a nice looking gun and i am a strong believer of "spend your money on whatever you want." i know it may have been covered but it hurts my brain going through old threads looking for gold.

i am looking to get an AR within the next year and i know the mr223 or whatever it will be called is coming out sometime..."i think"...soon.

its gonna be pricey...i already know this, but i just don't like the idea of buying something because of the name "only". well actually i don't mind but with the ar platform....i do.

there has to be something that makes it more reliable besides the piston. something with the recievers maybe.....something! otherwise i will just buy another brand with the piston system.

if you could get me some feedback that would be great, and remember i am not taking a dumb on the rifle i know nothing about. it is a gorgeous rifle!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Since this is an HK site, obviously a lot of people here are going to be attracted to the 416 simply because of the brand.

As for the "superiority" of a piston AR over a standard direct impengement (DI) AR, a piston system runs cleaner since the gas is trapped in the gas piston assembly instead of being blown back into the bolt carrier and bolt like with the DI system. In therory it's a little better and if my life absolutely depended on it on a daily basis, or was planning to running 10,000 rounds through it without cleaning, then it might be something that I might consider. But, I think for 99% of the civilians who own ARs, use decent ammo, and keep them reasonably clean, the standard DI system will probably be reliable enough.

You can also talk about the 416's sights, rails, stock, etc, but that's all furniture, and you can get all kinds of stuff for the AR platform.

I think the main draw for the HK fans is that it's HK.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with dwillhk. The brand says it all. Other than the guys who use these guns in the most extreme conditions, we like it because it's cool. We like it because it's different and it's good for show and tell for all the boys and girls. Just like most men, most of us like cool gadgets you know? Plasma tvs, ipods, i-phones, and HK416. Any civilian or LEO who is lazy enough to let their DI AR get so dirty to the point of malfunction probably needs a serious kick in the rear. A lot of it is human psychology too. Lots of people like knowing that they have something that will exceed what they need by a huge margin. Anyone here own an expensive sports car? I wonder how many Dodge Viper Owners and Porsche owners have really taken their cars close to 200 mph. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people buy those cars for showboating and the coolness factor.
    Last edited by FChen17213; 02-21-2009 at 01:08 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thank you. very true, very true....i didn't think about why i wanted another piton gun, just did. what the hell is wrong with a regular ar....not much huh. you are absolutley right. i had a bushmaster and sold it to get a 556. the only reason, as a civilian who just shoots for fun, to go with piston is that there is way less cleaning. i remember bringing that ar home and it was filthy. i love to clean guns....almost more than shooting. there is nothing more relaxing than putting on some nice music, disassembling your guns, and going to town. that being said i do get a little bored after the 4th or 5th gun. that sig 556 is very clean even after putting 2 to 3 hundred rounds through it.

well i thought i had the right idea and it was just the name, but thanks again dwill for answering my question.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well actually i think alot of them do. i do not have a nice car or a car at all right now (mine got stolen) but a very close friend of mine does and he gets together with all his "fancy car" buddies and they hall ass north where cops are few and the law doesn't show its head very often. just throwing my two cents in. i hear people make the fast car reference alot and i don't think it is true. put a firecracker in someones hand and they will light it.

i do not have nice things. i do have some pricey guns though. the only thing i spend my money on. i get you though. is all has to do will good old.....

ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

It's mainly the brand. There's an interesting article in SAR with Reed Knight, they asked him about piston uppers in general, and the HK416 specifically. He said they had done piston conversions as well, and of course he feels that the DI is just as robust as the piston as long as it's maintained properly.

But he mentioned one thing I hadn't heard before. On DI systems, some of the gas pressure is behind the bolt as well, so it unloads the locking lugs. On a piston system, that doesn't exist, and there is more load on the locking lugs, causing failures in some cases.

Those of you with 416s, has the lug system been strengthened, or is this just Reed Knight sticking up for Stoner's "baby"?
    Hidden Content

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The theory on the DI system sounds correct in that since the gas goes into a chamber inside the bolt carrier, some of the force goes to push the bolt forward , as well as pushing the carrier back. I guess that could, in theory, cause problems if you convert an existing DI system and use the standard bolt. However, I suspect that since the 416 only exists in piston form, it's bolt is set up to handle the loads. Plus, HK has experience with the G36 since it's a similar piston driven system using a multi-lug bolt.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there is nothing wrong with a standard DI AR rifle and I will never ever need anything more. AT ALL!!! With that being said, I will be the first one on my block with a MR556 and probably a MR762 to go along with it!
    If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns

Pain By Steel Rain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My M4A1 has never failed me once in the going on 5 years that I've had it in the Corps. The magazines have, but not the rifle itself. I couldn't tell you the thousands of rounds that I've put through that puppy without cleaning while on "ammo dump" ranges. Where your only task was go through all the ammo that other units didn't get through because the ammo tech didn't want to return it all to the ASP.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks again guys for the info.

there is one thing that we an all agree on though.....the 416 is GORGEOUS!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links