Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Tell Me Your Sad, Sad Tale

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt15550 View Post
    Ah. So there’s a Mrs TheJerkman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can't make such assumptions these days.
    AGG likes this.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

OK,

So on May 9th this year, they wife and I drove up to Denver from San Angelo. The purpose of the trip was to pick up all the 'accessories' for my 1970 Kaiser Jeep deuce and a half that make it parade ready. I drove my 05 Excursion 4x4 for this trip. I got as far as Parker (south of Denver) to go hang out with a long time friend of ours. We didn't make it.

About four miles from my buddies house, the truck starting making an extremely loud knocking sound. Kinda of like a metal coffee can with two hand fulls of small rock, then shake the can. That's what it sounded like.

So, I pull into the parking lot of Advance Auto Parts. I asked them if they knew anyone who could do an engine swap. The Brakes Plus across the parking lot was their reply.

I get the truck towed over to my buddies place (4 mile tow - $100). We do a one way rental (NOT CHEAP) from Parker to San Angelo. Then the wife and I discuss what we are going to do? With the engine in good shape my Ex is worth $15k approx. WITHOUT the working engine, it's worth about $5k. A new vehicle would run $25k - $35k. A new V10 engine from Ford is $6k, plus $800 core charge and shipping.

After talking about it for two weeks, we finally decided to fix the Excursion. It's in great shape and I've replaced a lot of parts that needed to be replaced. It's comfortable and it's our dog mobile.

So, we decided to keep it. Then I started looking what to do.

My buddy in Parker found an engine assembler that was in Denver. His quote was $5500, installed. But he didn't do any machine work, just used basically refurbished used parts and assembled engines with those.

I contacted three different Ford dealers and ask about crate engines. Their quotes started at $5500 and went up to $8000. Plus core and shipping.

Then from the Excursion forum, one of the members found a 2016 V10 pulled out of a Class C motor home. It had 4300 miles on it. And they wanted $4300 which included shipping and the core charge. I bought it. I had the Ex towed to where the engine was shipped at Brakes plus (another $100).

It has been there about three weeks. They are ALMOST done. Though they should have been done last Friday (it's Wednesday).

Here is my tale of woe from the FTE Excursion forum.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...10-engine.html

By the time it's all done, I will probably drop $8k. We had to rent another one way rental (not cheap) to come get the truck and pick up the deuce stuff, rent a Uhaul and take it all back, INCLUDING the V10 engine that is broken (beginning to look like a timing chain at least).

So yeah, been a long fracking six plus week.

Oh also, during this time frame, while we were in Denver the first time, we went to our dentist in Denver for an exam. Then scheduled what needed to be done. Three root canals and a clean up on another root at the top for me. So I flew up for one day, went to my dentist and he did all the work. Then back on the plane - back to Lubbock - then drive back to San Angelo. Today,we went to our dentist for me to finish the work - put in two new crowns and drill and fill three cavities and then clean my teeth.

I went by my mechanic this afternoon and posted some pix of it over on Excursion forum. HOPEFULLY, he will get it wrapped up today and get it fired up and running with the new engine either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Then it's over to Midas to install the Banks headers I purchased for the Ex.

So, over all, a bundle of money spent. But you cannot purchase a new Excursion. The last year of manufacture WAS 2005. If you could, they would cost in excess of $80k. We might purchase a new car in a year or two. But right now, we will be happy once we get our Ex back in working condition.

So, hows that for 'bad luck'? When we left to come up to Denver on Monday, my Mom in San Angelo, was going to have dinner with my sister. I never heard if they actually got to eat. Because my Mom's blood ;ressure was so high, my sister took her to the hospital where she spent 24 hours. They don't know WHY it was elevated. But after that it dropped back down they let her go home.

When it rains, YOU GET SOAKED SOME TIMES.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT - OK, after the engine was in and the Banks headers were ready to be put on. The Brakes Plus people took my Excursion over to Midas yesterday and the GM (Josh) said he would have it finished NLT Sat morning.

I got a call last night FIVE MINUTES BEFORE MIDAS CLOSED and Josh said his mechanic had NOT DONE ONE THING ON MY TRUCK. They would start on it Sat AM and get it done by 2pm so I could still pick up my trailer.

I went over to Midas this morning BEFORE they opened and waited for the GM arrived at 7:20 and asked if they did not get it down by 6pm would they then comp the job an Josh said NO PROBLEM. Then he called me about thirty minutes later and he said he talked to the owner and he told Josh to just give me my truck back WITHOUT WORKING ON IT.

So Josh lied to me when I talked to him on Monday. He LIED to me on Wednesday when I spoke to him face to face and again he said there were no problems and they would be happy to install the Banks headers. JOSH LIED TO ME ON FRIDAY (yesterday) when I went over after my truck was delivered to him so he could install the Banks headers.

So now when I talked to him this morning, HE LIED TO ME AGAIN.

The death of our country won't be by sociallist storming the walls. It will die at the hands of all the folks that were born AFTER 1965 who believe that they are special and they deserve a trophy just for showing up. AND THEY DON'T HAVE AN ACTUAL WORK ETHIC. The can't spell WORK ETHIC and actually know that it means that your word is your bond. THEY DON'T FRAKIN CARE.
    Last edited by wallew; 06-22-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

"When the pin is pulled, MR GRENADE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!!"

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something!!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt15550 View Post
    Ah. So there’s a Mrs TheJerkman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well a future Mrs. Jerkman. Or would she be a jerkwoman? June 20th, 2020

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

SO Mr Jerkman, a year from TOMORROW you gonna tie the not?

That's excellent. I asked the wife to marry me back in 1980. She said no. We lived together for 26 year and THEN we got married. That was almost 40 years ago. It WILL be 40 years ago February 14th next year. We've alway considered Valentines day our anniversary. That was our first date all those years ago.

And 40 years passed in the blink of an eye.

I wish you the same luck that I have had.
    TheJerkman and MSOGDAWG like this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    You can't make such assumptions these days.
    next you will be trying to tell me that there really IS such a thing as an assault weapon
    AGG and TheJerkman like this.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yep, sits on the kitchen table right next to the pepper weapon

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flybynt View Post
    next you will be trying to tell me that there really IS such a thing as an assault weapon
    Everyone knows they are for enjoyment.

Tell Me Your Sad, Sad Tale-edafe1e3-4fe9-443b-abfe-209ff472e4ce.jpeg
    TheJerkman and flybynt like this.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    SO Mr Jerkman, a year from TOMORROW you gonna tie the not?

That's excellent. I asked the wife to marry me back in 1980. She said no. We lived together for 26 year and THEN we got married. That was almost 40 years ago. It WILL be 40 years ago February 14th next year. We've alway considered Valentines day our anniversary. That was our first date all those years ago.

And 40 years passed in the blink of an eye.

I wish you the same luck that I have had.
    We've been together 5 years now and decided to pop the question on a glacier when we were in Iceland a month shy of our 5 year anniversary of being together. Of course she said yes! The saddest part of it all was that rock probably cost me quite a few very nice guns that I'll have to wait to purchase now lol. It was either get a sear or get engaged. Being in NY where autos are illegal the choice was rather easy
    GuntherRommel likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    Everyone knows they are for enjoyment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDAFE1E3-4FE9-443B-ABFE-209FF472E4CE.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	235694
    They are all closet "blasters"!!!

Tony

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJerkman View Post
    We've been together 5 years now and decided to pop the question on a glacier when we were in Iceland a month shy of our 5 year anniversary of being together. Of course she said yes! The saddest part of it all was that rock probably cost me quite a few very nice guns that I'll have to wait to purchase now lol. It was either get a sear or get engaged. Being in NY where autos are illegal the choice was rather easy
    back in 2004. the wife wanted a new car. WE PAY CASH for our cars. So I sold my HK collection and put togehter enough money to get her the car she wanted - a new 05 Subaru Outback Impreza Wagon. She told me 'one day' you can purchase them again and I'll give you the money. That happened in 2015 as she decided to retire. And good to her word has given me all the money I wanted for my HK collection.

So, no worries. Just have patience and you will be mightily rewarded.
    Last edited by wallew; 06-20-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    TheJerkman likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links