This Might Be a First
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This Might Be a First

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default This Might Be a First

Decided it would be cool take my first brown bear in Alaska with my HK91. Dropped a Bill Springfield Trigger in it and had no problems. Heart and lung shot at 92 yards with diopter sights, no problem. Not bad for a 34 year old rifle!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

awesome pic...thanks for sharing!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've been wondering if a .308 battle rifle would be creditable weapon in hunting, you know, 'non sporting pourposes' and all that. I guess you are the exception.

Are you just up there for the hunting or are you living in the The Last Frontier? I hear stories about what types of weapons work in the freezing temperatures and which ones don't. For example, while both are excellent examples of rifles, the German 98's would freeze up in the Russian winters where as the Mosin Nagants wouldn't. Same goes for the Enfields, which became a favorite of some folks up there. As I understand it, that is why the northern hunters prefer certain style rifles. Personally, I would think that the AK styles would fair well in the freezing temps where a fine crafted HK 91 wouldn't do so well. Any experiences with your 91 in critical weather? Any issues to note about that topic or anything in your hunting trip?
    Be excellent to each other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are opening up yourself to comments from 2 different types of users, Hunters and Non-Hunters (Animal people).

It's obvious you like to hunt, but why kill a bear? I doubt you needed it for food, so is this just a Trophy Kill?

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

Incredible--- thanks for sharing!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice. What ammo/projectile ?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Location : North of one border South of another East and West of the others
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I trust the 308 for all things. However, for a Brown bear, unless I had a distinct advantage site, I do not know I would have taken a brown with less than a 338. Congrats! Nice pics too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyWhisper View Post
    I've been wondering if a .308 battle rifle would be creditable weapon in hunting, you know, 'non sporting pourposes' and all that. I guess you are the exception.

Are you just up there for the hunting or are you living in the The Last Frontier? I hear stories about what types of weapons work in the freezing temperatures and which ones don't. For example, while both are excellent examples of rifles, the German 98's would freeze up in the Russian winters where as the Mosin Nagants wouldn't. Same goes for the Enfields, which became a favorite of some folks up there. As I understand it, that is why the northern hunters prefer certain style rifles. Personally, I would think that the AK styles would fair well in the freezing temps where a fine crafted HK 91 wouldn't do so well. Any experiences with your 91 in critical weather? Any issues to note about that topic or anything in your hunting trip?
    I do live in Alaska, and I have taken this rifle on trips with temperatures ranging from -30 to 80 and it has functioned fine. One trip it's was so cold all the other guys who brought bolt guns bolts locked up. My rifle was the only functioning rifle out of all of them. It seems to stand up to extreme cold weather very well.

Quote Originally Posted by hkfanman View Post
    You are opening up yourself to comments from 2 different types of users, Hunters and Non-Hunters (Animal people).

It's obvious you like to hunt, but why kill a bear? I doubt you needed it for food, so is this just a Trophy Kill?
    Not a trophy kill. In this area of Alaska there is an extremely large brown bear presence, almost 2 for every square mile. They have wiped out the deer and moose population in the area, which we do hunt for food. We call these predator control hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Landry308 View Post
    Nice. What ammo/projectile ?
    Lake city 168g boat tail.

Quote Originally Posted by estesmonkey View Post
    I trust the 308 for all things. However, for a Brown bear, unless I had a distinct advantage site, I do not know I would have taken a brown with less than a 338. Congrats! Nice pics too.
    308 is fine as long as you have proper shot placement, I would rather have 20 rounds of 308 in thick brush than a 5 shot 338 or 300WM boltgun!
    Last edited by sotic; 05-10-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkfanman View Post
    why kill a bear? I doubt you needed it for food, so is this just a Trophy Kill?
    Acceptable answers to this are:
    1. Because it was there.
    2. Because I wanted a rug to shag ladies on in front of the fire.
    3. STFU.

OP, you're a brave man. I wouldn't have thought to take a carnivore with a .308, but I guess you'd have many F/U shots and it would take him a while to cover 100yds. I guess there are probably crazy mofos out there that hunt them with bows. Either way, I'd definitely be wearing my brown pants that day!
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=bastardsonofelvis;1797032]Acceptable answers to this are:
    1. Because it was there.
    2. Because I wanted a rug to shag ladies on in front of the fire.
    3. STFU.

I cant stop laughing!! Good kill Sotic!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links