HKPRO Forums banner

The Abominable Snow Monster

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  bastardsonofelvis 
#1 ·
Or 'Bumble' for short. Still has plenty of teeth, even after running into this elf dentist.

Now before the chorus of "how could you do that to a HK91" and demands that it get sent to the Island of Misfit Roller-locks, know that the 91 was in pretty rough shape and needed a whole lotta TLC, courtesy of Jeff at PCS. It even came to me sans furniture. Jeff stiffened the receiver with rails, welded a pic rail on top, replaced the guts and worked his magic with the bolt gap. I used an extended AIM m-lok rail and had a local machinist cut off the front sight ring and trim off enough of the front for my suppressor to mount. Still waiting for the Form 4 for the SOCOM mini. It got a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 in a Larue, an old Atlas I had laying around, a VFG, and a Troy micro HK-style flip up front BUIS. Fortuitously, the sight is exactly the same height on the front rail as the triple tree front sight was. I haven't zeroed the irons or optic yet but I'm hopeful the BUIS will work well with the rear drum. Magpul PRS2 and a battle pack of new steel mags rounded out the package and it went off for paint to Lockhart Munitions in Alabama. Guy named Ben does fantastic cerakote work. The shooting mat, rear bag and sling came from TAB, along with one of their biathlon slings for skiing (not pictured). I sent Tony the material and he whipped me up some softgoodies.

I think the end result is fit for Yukon Cornelius himself. I'm hoping to get out soon and pop some yotes. If anybody wants to get me a Christmas present, I want a thermal optic -- your choice!

Snow Winter Freezing Frost Ice
Snow Winter Freezing Ice Blizzard
Snow Freezing Winter Blizzard Soldier

See less See more
#11 ·
That is absolutely BADASS! I love how you went all-in and did the optic too! So many people just can't bring themselves to 'marry' the optic to the gun, but it really is the perfect touch. Seriously, nicely done!
A small piece of white T-shirt tied around the tube just aft of the objective will obscure the turrets from whatever the rifle is pointed at, and can be manipulated to encapsulate that part of the optic altogether. I wanted to maintain full functionality. It would look better painted I agree. I'm going to hit the black parts of the stock, sling and scope caps with matte white krylon, as well as a pair of ski feet I have for the bipod.

#17 ·
That is a dream gun, for sure.

Kudos for visualizing what you wanted, and getting there.

All I would wish for (if I was ordering off a menu, right) would be a folding, fully-hooded front sight, like on a SCAR or FG-42.

What a bitchin' rifle. I don't know if I can say that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.