Central Iowa IDPA - Ames Izaak Walton League - Sunday Oct 9th.

Thread: Central Iowa IDPA - Ames Izaak Walton League - Sunday Oct 9th.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Central Iowa IDPA - Ames Izaak Walton League - Sunday Oct 9th.

This Sunday is the monthly IDPA match down at the Ames Izaak Walton League. Match fee is $10 for a single gun $5 for an additional gun.

Shooting starts around 9am, be there a little early for sign in / safety brief.

I'm not affiliated with that particular club , just passin' the word along.

I shot there last month the it was a good group, not too high of a round count and the stages were OK. A pretty good environment for those looking to get into the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, I know this is an old post but I wanted to reply because I am an Ames resident and member of the Izaak Walton League club.
    I shoot there about once a week and always looking for new people to converse with.

So what type of matches are these?
    Veritas Aequitas

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caehrnst View Post
    Hey, I know this is an old post but I wanted to reply because I am an Ames resident and member of the Izaak Walton League club.
    I shoot there about once a week and always looking for new people to converse with.

So what type of matches are these?

First and foremost, IDPA is a game.

But it's a game that tries to emulate "real world" scenarios and skills.

You typically use a cover garment, as you would when carrying concealed.

Your average stage or single string of fire is no more than 18 rounds.

There's typically 3-6 targets that need to be engaged etc.

In Ames, there's typically 3-5 stages.

Most of the info about IDPA can be read here:

International Defensive Pistol Association - What is IDPA?

What is IDPA?

IDPA as a sport is quite simply the use of practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios. Shooters competing in IDPA events are required to use practical handguns and holsters that are truly suitable for self-defense use. No “competition only” equipment is permitted in IDPA matches since the main goal is to test the skill and ability of an individual, not his equipment or gamesmanship.

Why do we need another shooting sport?

Prior to the formation of IDPA, there was no place to compete and hone one’s skill with equipment designed for and suitable for self-defense. Other shooting sports are just that, sports that have no relevance to self-defense. IDPA offers an exciting forum for practical shooters in which truly practical equipment, techniques and courses of fire are mandated. Prior to IDPA, there was no place at all to compete with common service pistols such as the Beretta, Glock or Sig. Nor was there a shooting sport where your concealed carry holster could also be your match holster without handicap. When you come to an IDPA match, you can not only use your duty/CCW equipment, you can be completely competitive with it! Other shooting sports have become equipment “races”; IDPA will not. If you’re interested in using truly practical pistols to solve challenging and exciting defensive shooting problems, then IDPA is the sport for you.

What are the goals of IDPA?

1: Promote safe and proficient use of guns and equipment suitable for self-defense use.

2: Provide a level playing field for all competitors to test the skill and ability of the individual, not their equipment or gamesmanship.

3: Provide separate divisions for equipment and classifications for shooters, such that guns with similar characteristics are grouped together and people with similar skills compete only against each other.

4: Provide shooters with practical and realistic courses of fire that simulate a potentially life-threatening encounter or that tests skills that would be required to survive a life-threatening encounter.

5: Offer a practical shooting sport that is responsive to the shooters and sponsors, with unprecedented stability of equipment rules.

6: Offer a practical shooting sport that allows the competitors to concentrate on the development of their shooting skills and fellowship with other likeminded shooters.

What types of people compete in IDPA matches?

IDPA membership and matches are open to all people who can legally own a handgun, regardless of occupation, race, sex or religion. IDPA shooters come from all walks of life and include many women, too.

What types of matches does IDPA hold?

Courses fall into two categories:
    Self-defense scenarios or Standard exercises. The self-defense scenarios are simulations of actual or possible “real world” confrontations. These scenarios typically require shots from 3 - 20 yards and often require the shooter to change firing points and shoot from awkward positions. Standard exercises do not attempt to simulate a potential threat situation but are designed to test specific shooting and gun handling skills. IDPA matches offer diversity and truly test both accuracy and speed. Physical condition has very little to do with your performance in an IDPA match.

What type of equipment do I need to compete in IDPA matches?

IDPA matches typically require the use of a service type pistol or revolver of 9mm/.38 special or lager caliber. If your handgun is suitable for self-defense use, it will probably be competitive for IDPA matches. Practical concealed carry type holsters are stipulated for IDPA use. A common service pistol or revolver such as a Beretta 92F, Glock 17/22, Sig 226, Colt 1911A1, S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100 carried in a common pancake style holster is all that is needed to be competitive in IDPA matches.

In IDPA you will work from your belt, IE you'll be using your holster, your mags will be on your belt. You'll do some shooting on the move, typically some strong hand/weak hand shooting, every now and then some more unorthodox shooting positions (seated, prone etc.)

I like it, the next Ames match will be August 12th. If you want to check it out but don't want to go alone just send me a PM and I'll go with ya.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got some good stuff in store for August yourself JD?
    The Tyrant's power only exists until the Slaves Revolt...

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USPc_4_life View Post
    Got some good stuff in store for August yourself JD?

Yeah...

Hackathorns 3 Sec. Head Shot Standards (no penalty for not making the 3 seconds but will be interesting to see the times), some skills drills shooting from seated / table drill, another wood-vee stage if we can make some improvements... it all depends on the heat. If it's as hot as it was this at this months match, don't expect too many stages requiring cover garments.

Sponsored Links