MR556A1 NOT Banned in Maryland
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MR556A1 NOT Banned in Maryland

I Bleed Urban Gray
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Default MR556A1 NOT Banned in Maryland

Just want to make sure everyone is aware that the MR556A1 is NOT a banned weapon in Maryland, nor is it regulated. Here's the quote from the State Police website:
    "This firearm was originally determined by the Maryland State Police to be a copy of the Colt AR-15. The determination was based on infomation provided by the manufacturer's website. After confirming additional information provided to the Maryland State Police, it would appear that the following internal components of the H & K MR556A1 are not interchangeable with the Colt AR-15; the bolt carrier group, upper receiver, barrel nut, barrel extension with supporting extractor, gas block, piston rod group, piston with rings therefore the H & K MR556A1 is not a copy"
    You can find the info here: Firearm Search

Sadly the H&K AK47 is still banned...
    eldemando and JNAP94 like this.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch till you're ready to bring the hate

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

So, if you put a gas piston upper on a banned lower, it should be unbanned?
    JNAP94 likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
    So, if you put a gas piston upper on a banned lower, it should be unbanned?
    New to Maryland so I'm still figuring this out. The lowers were not "banned" as that would not sit well with much of an outspoken community. Rather, significant "constraints" were placed on the future sale and transfer of many types of firearms and in specific the AR. The largest is the copycat clause which has the largest impact on D.I. Guns.
    You may still acquire stripped or complete AR lower receivers in Maryland. But you cannot build them as direct impingement guns. Gas piston or non- direct impingement construction only.
    As with all governmental organizations, the trail of paperwork following a "banned" AR lower is cumbersome. Your "banned" receiver will be able to accept all current uppers, while your new production one will only accept D.I. legally. Given the cost difference between the two, one might be tempted to believe that the enacted legislative action was focused on making these types of firearms even more expensive and out of the reach of your average Joe.
    If I'm wrong anywhere here please feel free to correct me, but this is what I've gathered this far.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NoScoE30 - The "lower" is the only part of an AR15-style weapon subject to restriction. A "lower" can still be transferred in MD so long as it is assembled as a pistol, H-Bar rifle or NFA item. Assembled rifles are subject to a 3 part "copycat" test. Any rifle having two of three features (flash hider, grenade launcher, folding stock) is no longer legal for transfer. Most manufacturers of AR15 copies pass this test but fail the H-Bar requirement and some (Bushmaster) are banned strictly by name. As for the gas piston, it makes absolutely no difference legally. MSP is incorrectly interpreting COMAR. H-Bar is the ticket.

Navyman2015- Someone gave you a load of seriously bad gouge. Believe it or not, there are fewer obstacles to purchasing an AR15-style rifle today than there were prior to FSA2013. Lots of decent manufacturers are making compliant rifles and you don't have to wait on the MSP for permission to pick it up. For a real eye-opening experience, check out Engage Armament in Rockville. They are well versed in the laws and will find or build something to your liking. Colt H-Bars, Daniel Defense or their own E4 carbine are all direct impingement as well as cash and carry. As far as expense, prices are ridiculously low right now as the AR market is flooded.

As omega21 mentioned regarding the HK AK, the State Police are still in a learning phase...for a while the DJGetz rifles were banned as copies of AR15s.

Banned

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

+1 for Engage Armament, it has been awhile, but they had great pricing and CS.. Enjoyed doing buisness with them. I am NOT a MD resident.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And this is why I'm here and learning! Many thanks to shuntfix, as I continue to determine the credible and non-credible sources of gouge out there. Ultimately I know it's on me to be well informed so I'd rather show my ignorance here than make decisions on bad info. Thank you for the correction and enlightenment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No problem! I followed that legislation like a hyena and read it inside and out. Things could have been MUCH worse.
    There is lots of positive 2A activity right now and it is a very exciting time for Marylanders. Kolbe vs. Hogan is currently in the 4th Circuit, Engage has an appeal against MSP regarding SBR silliness and Maryland Shall Issue is always busy with the CCW fight.
    I'm down near Leonardtown so Engage is a little bit of a hike but well worth it. There are other shops closer to me who are too unpredictable when it comes to certain transfers. Dealers who know how to handle all the grey areas properly are worth the drive. Send me a PM if you are in the area for a shoot or looking for something in particular. Just a few more months until the hoarders have to seriously unload to pay for Christmas gifts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So it's really the Right to Keep and Bear CERTAIN Arms.

I must have missed that part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    So it's really the Right to Keep and Bear CERTAIN Arms.

I must have missed that part.
    Yup. They got us GOOD!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And now the state police writes law apparently. They are adding rifles to the banned list even though they weren't on there when the "law" was written and even though there was no clause allowing such actions. For example. they recently added the Beretta ARX 100 as a "copycat" rifle. What it's a copy of is anybody guess. Besides, it wasn't banned when the "law" was written but it is now. Maryland has become essentially a police state.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 07-13-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    With regards to the P7, there are two classes of people.

1. Those who know it to be the finest pistol ever produced.

2. Those who have yet to fire one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links