Massachusetts Gun Limitations

Thread: Massachusetts Gun Limitations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Massachusetts Gun Limitations

Some of you may know that Massachusetts has an official, "Approved Firearms Roster." Unfortunately, for me, I am limited to which guns and models I can buy new, according to the list. The P2000SK .357 is on that list, however, the new 9mm and .40 is not! Or at least not yet. My question is, does anyone have inside info as to whether HK plans on getting approval for the new calibers? Finding a P2000SK in .357 I hear is a challenge.

A second question is to anyone who carries the P30. Of course it is a great pistol, but what do you think about comfortable, reasonable concealment for someone of medium build?
    Thanks a mil!

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't speak to the Massachusetts gun laws and the likelihood of guns being added to the roster, but I do carry a P30 a fair amount. I'm 6' 190 so I guess I'm medium build-ish. Concealment has never been an issue with the P30. It carries well OWB or IWB, just be aware that the grip texture is pretty rough so I never carry it against bare skin. I carry the P30 more in cooler months when I can go with layered clothing.

You'll hear guys on here tell you to get both, and in this case I do recommend it. The P2000SK is the perfect summer carry gun. It can just disappear under just a t-shirt. Finding one in .357 SIG is going to take a little time though. If you find one and get a P30 in .40 then you can use the same magazine in both pistol (P30 magazines will fit in the P2000 series.)

Are any USP series guns on the roster?

Welcome to HKPro.
    one word...Thundercougarfalconbird

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow I'm glad I don't live there. 357 sig is so much safer then 9mm....so dumb.
    Justin Bové
    We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Shamrox. USP and USP Comp LEM .40 is on the roster. What do you think about it in comparison to the P30 and P2000SK? Justinbove: Living in Mass.... yeah I know. But ya gotta make due with what you have. For manufacturers to get their guns approved on the roster, they have to send a few (on their on buck) for rigid safety testing...apparently. Pretty unnecessary. But I don't think it includes private sales.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Easy answer--- USP40--- see our Supporting Vendors, or check out GB!!!

Tony

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was a little late to the party on the USP line. I jumped in initially with a P30 then into some of the newer 45's and then a P2000SK. I Hadn't gotten into the USP line until recently and I can say that they are fantastic and I wished I'd bought a few sooner. I don't have a USPc, so I can't comment directly on that one. The full size USP series are fantastic shooters and I've been told so are the compacts. I have an HK45 compact and it seems to be about the same size as the USP compact. It carries great, lays nice and flat, and conceals well.

I believe the USP compact will accept the same magazines as the P30, but double check me on that. There is a magazine compatibility chart on this site somewhere. So if you add the P30 down the line you have that benefit.

It all kind of boils down to what your needs are. Most of the HK guns can be CCW'ed. Some easier than others. I do carry a full size USP45 concealed a lot and don't find it too challenging. You do have to invest in a good quality gun belt and holster though. I used to carry my P30 all the time, but have been kind of getting out of my 9mm phase and into a 45 phase. I also find the P2000SK to be tremendously versatile, but as you stated it may be hard for you to find one in the Mass. approved caliber. The USP compact series may be just the ticket for you. It should be readily available, is accurate and well built. The P30 certainly has some advancements in tailored ergonomics, but all HK's are gonna run, run well, and run for longer than most of us could afford to feed them.

A USP compact would be a terrific choice for carry/home defense. The biggest knock on the USP line is the proprietary rail system but most people don't hang stuff on their guns anyways, esp. a carry pistol.

Lots of muddled thoughts here, but still hope this helps.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I carry a P30S in .40 every day. I'm about 175lbs, 5'11'', and I have no comfort or concealment issues.

I'm using a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster. They call it a 4 o'clock holster, but I have a slight printing issue there (bottom of the grip), so mine's closer to 5 o'clock. A slightly bigger guy probably wouldn't have that issue, but I find it's more comfortable more toward the rear, anyways.

I typically carry tucked in business dress, so my under shirt keeps the grip off of my skin, but I've gone 4-5 hours with a tee shirt and shorts, and I haven't had any problems with it rubbing on my skin.
    "An armed society is a polite society."

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The p2ksk is on the roster in .40 now. Actually a lot of nice new HK's are. Also I carried a p30 everyday for a while no problem. A good gun belt & holster & gtg. I used a bullhide belt 1.5in & a TT Gunleather Mike's special holster & it did not print even in very light summer clothing. That was carried between the 3:30 & 5:00 position all depending on variables but was very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They did just update the list, I am also in Mass, just sold my P2000sk in 9mm, liked the gun not so much the grip. Have a USP compact in .40 my first H&K will be looking for one in 9mm. have the P30 and VP9 and I like the Comp-tac IWB holster best IWB holster I have ever had. There are ways of getting what you want just need to do your homework. Good luck.
    Don't shoot back shoot first.

Sponsored Links