Is the preban sp89 legal in massachussets?

Thread: Is the preban sp89 legal in massachussets?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the preban sp89 legal in massachussets?

I have someone who wants to buy my preban IK dated SP89 that lives in Mass. I have looked on the registries, but can only find it listed under high cap weapons, w/pistols like the USP etc. But it does not state if they are legal or illegal. I was hoping someone has dealt w/this exact issue before and knows for sure which side the gun lands on. I am leaning toward illegal from what i read. I hope i am wrong. Thank you.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

It's a murky subject. My advice would be to get a copy of the buyer's FFL before money has changed hands, and verify with the FFL that they would be willing to transfer.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5 inbound

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My understanding is, Preban or not, it would have to be in the state of MA before the ban.. so the transfer would have to be From a MA FFL to MA FFL, or MA resident personal transfer to MA resident, or MA FFL transfer to MA resident... obviously with both owner and buyer being MA residents, and properly licensed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The person who purchased it is the FFL and gun store owner. He explained the laws to me, told me its legal, ( now but not a year or so ago), because its pre 1994. I DO NOT want to run afoul o f any LEO state, or fed. But the man sounded like he knew what he was talking about and has a high rating as a buyer with many purchases/sales of FFL items.. His gun store is real, I checked it out. But, if above poster is correct, the FFL is wrong, or intentionally exploiting one of the many many very gray areas of the Mass AWB. If you did into this thing, it's rediculous, and the residents up there still do not have it figured out, if you read thier forums. There`s 2 schools of thought on all these regs. Not sure where that leaves me. The gun sold for a good price and I dont want to unnecessarily unwind this thing.
    Last edited by bones0831; 06-19-2019 at 04:55 PM.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

Contact the MA. AG's Office (Criminal Bureau) at 1-617-727-2200!!!

Tony

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones0831 View Post
    The person who purchased it is the FFL and gun store owner.
    Sounding more and more shady, to me ..

https://www.mass.gov/guides/frequent...rcement-notice

"I am a dealer. May I re-stock my inventory of Assault Weapons for sales exclusively to law enforcement officers?

No. However, you may take orders for sales of Assault Weapons to law enforcement officers, and you may obtain those weapons from your distributor and possess them until you complete the transfer. When you do so, you must retain information sufficient to verify that the transferee is a law enforcement officer."

To me that clinches it -- if FFL's aren't allowed to stock banned guns, even for LEO sales without a specific LEO order, then how could it be possible to transfer it to them.

I agree with Tony. Call the Mass. AG or state police.

Sponsored Links