NY confiscatting firearms?

Thread: NY confiscatting firearms?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default NY confiscatting firearms?

EXCELLENCE IS NEVER AN ACCIDENT, IT IS ALWAYS THE RESULT OF HIGH INTENTION, SINCERE EFFORT, INTELLIGENT DIRECTION, SKILLFUL EXECUTION AND THE VISION TO SEE OBSTACLES AS OPPORTUNITY...

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

I also would like to know the "realities" from the boots on the ground!!!

Tony

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This story refers to the first NYer to be victim of the new mental health restrictions that were part of the NY SAFE act. Because this man is on anti-depressants and goes to therapy, his pistol permit has been revoked (this is a may issue state remember), and his guns turned in to the police. Someone at his doctor's office committed an enormous HIPAA violation in turning him in to the authorities.

It is being blown up locally (and apparently nationally) as gun confiscation. But it is not the gestapo going door to door collecting the guns (yet). Rather, it is what we knew was going to happen as a result of the SAFE act. One of the changes to the law empowers mental health professionals the power to "turn in" patients that they believe shouldn't own guns. This power is basically limitless, and given to anyone who works in a mental health office of any kind. As a result, concerned citizens have been seeking out "gun friendly" doctors, and/or lying when asked if they own firearms. It's a great state of affairs.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs. While on one hand I think that if someone is believed to be dangerous to themselves or others, they should not be allowed to own guns. On the other hand, half the country is on anti-depressants, and I know many people who are completely stable on or off them, who choose to take them for a better quality of life. I don't think it needs to be said that it is ridiculous to punish someone for seeing a therapist if they feel the need or desire to. I think *everyone* can benefit from talking about their problems with a professional third party.

For full disclosure, I am a NY resident and have never been to therapy or taken any of these medications. But I do believe the option should be open for people, even gun owners. And I certainly think HIPAA exists for a reason, and that the person/people who violated it should be put in prison and have their credentials revoked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There was a bill introduced in NY (actually a few bills and other states as well relating to gun control) but this article makes it seem like its already happening. That is very misleading. Not saying it can't happen there certainly seems to be a lot of push for gun control, but there has also been a lot of push back.

Do not spread fear or misinformation I think that only hurts our cause. Do write you local reps and support groups like the NRA that will fight tooth and nail for our 2nd amendment right.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    This story refers to the first NYer to be victim of the new mental health restrictions that were part of the NY SAFE act. Because this man is on anti-depressants and goes to therapy, his pistol permit has been revoked (this is a may issue state remember), and his guns turned in to the police. Someone at his doctor's office committed an enormous HIPAA violation in turning him in to the authorities.

It is being blown up locally (and apparently nationally) as gun confiscation. But it is not the gestapo going door to door collecting the guns (yet). Rather, it is what we knew was going to happen as a result of the SAFE act. One of the changes to the law empowers mental health professionals the power to "turn in" patients that they believe shouldn't own guns. This power is basically limitless, and given to anyone who works in a mental health office of any kind. As a result, concerned citizens have been seeking out "gun friendly" doctors, and/or lying when asked if they own firearms. It's a great state of affairs.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs. While on one hand I think that if someone is believed to be dangerous to themselves or others, they should not be allowed to own guns. On the other hand, half the country is on anti-depressants, and I know many people who are completely stable on or off them, who choose to take them for a better quality of life. I don't think it needs to be said that it is ridiculous to punish someone for seeing a therapist if they feel the need or desire to. I think *everyone* can benefit from talking about their problems with a professional third party.

For full disclosure, I am a NY resident and have never been to therapy or taken any of these medications. But I do believe the option should be open for people, even gun owners. And I certainly think HIPAA exists for a reason, and that the person/people who violated it should be put in prison and have their credentials revoked.
    WOW I guess I am the one who needs to do more research. I have seen endless proposed bills but I did not know about the SAFE act. Thank you for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PycHotdog View Post
    WOW I guess I am the one who needs to do more research. I have seen endless proposed bills but I did not know about the SAFE act. Thank you for sharing.
    Really? Have you been living under a rock? No disrespect, but even to non-NYers, this is of concern for all gun owners. If it succeeds here, it will happen elsewhere, maybe even nationally. A private firm has a lawsuit in against it (state has until 4/29 to justify the constitutionality of the law, otherwise there will be an injunction), and the NRA has filed suit through the NYS Rifle & Pistol Association (NYSRPA) as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If anyone else is interested in learning more about the SAFE act and updates on its status, this is a great resource:

Laws and Politics

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    If anyone else is interested in learning more about the SAFE act and updates on its status, this is a great resource:

Laws and Politics
    Thanks again! Sad part is I actually try to keep up with this stuff.

TGS
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PycHotdog View Post
    Sad part is I actually try to keep up with this stuff.
    Somehow I doubt that.
    DA/SA P2000. Because HK doesn't hate me, and I don't suck.

HK P2000 9mm v3: GrayGuns RRDP, Meprolight Tru-Dot night sights, HK45c mag release
    Usually residing inside a CCC Shaggy AIWB holster.....

Dream gun: Mauser M03 Stutzen

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Somehow I doubt that.
    Don't blame you I cant see how I missed this one. There is so much information and so much wrong information its becoming harder to keep up. I recognize this is a gun forum and try to leave politics out but this stuff really gets me upset. I am sick to my stomach right now. Gonna look out for NYs response on the 29th.

Sponsored Links