N.E. Ohio, Mentor Specifiacally Might Get a New Indoor Shooting Range!!!!

Thread: N.E. Ohio, Mentor Specifiacally Might Get a New Indoor Shooting Range!!!!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thumbs up N.E. Ohio, Mentor Specifiacally Might Get a New Indoor Shooting Range!!!!

Great news for Northeastern Ohio and the city of Mentor. Looks like they might lift the ban on discharging weapons within the city for certain businesses and pave the way for a new shooting range!!!

Mentor officials looking to clear way for indoor firing ranges in city

Published: Friday, August 24, 2012
    [Get RSS Feed]
    [Print This]
    [Email This]
    Share on facebook
    Share on twitter
    Share on stumbleupon
    Share on pinterest
    More Sharing Services

By Betsy Scott
    [email protected]
    @ReporterBetsy

Mentor City Council this week laid the groundwork to lift a ban on discharging weapons within the city, at least when it comes to certain businesses.

Council approved amending its weapons use ordinance to make an exception for commercial indoor firing ranges. The panel also OK’d initiating an amendment to the zoning code, referring to the planning commission a proposal to conditionally permit such businesses in industrial districts.

The changes were prompted by a proprietor seeking to open an indoor shooting facility in the city. The location has yet to be determined, said prospective owner David Holtz of Mentor.

“I’m from Mentor, I grew up here, went to Lake Catholic, University of Dayton, in ROTC there,” he said, adding that he did a tour in Iraq as a member of the U.S. Army, returning home in 2005. “A business partner I had is owner of a range down in Barberton. I saw the need for one here in Mentor.”

He said shooting facilities generally target hunters or shooting enthusiasts, but he will be aiming to attract what he said is the largest market — personal defense.

“Both men and women who don’t shoot regularly but have (a weapon) in the home for protection,” he said.

A public hearing for the zoning code amendment could be on the Sept. 13 planning commission agenda. Such a hearing also is needed at the council level, should the commission recommend the change. If approved, Holtz then could apply for a conditional-use permit.

“I want to take it one step at a time,” he said.

The amended ordinance states that the weapons use prohibition “does not apply where the discharge of firearms is conducted within an enclosed structure dedicated for commercial purpose as a firing range and where the owner and business principals at the location where the discharge of firearms takes place have applied for and been granted a permit for such activity by the Director of Public Safety. The Director of Public Safety is hereby authorized to incorporate any and all requirements into such permits necessary to ensure public health and safety.”

The section does not apply to instances in which firearms are used in self-defense or by police officers in the line of duty. Violators could be charged with a fourth-degree misdemeanor.
    Police Chief Dan Llewellyn, who also is the public safety director, said the preliminary proposal appears to be in order.

“I think they’ve done a good job of the design from a safety aspect, and it looks like it’s going to be a pretty successful endeavor,” he said.

He said his department and some others in the area have their own shooting range in-house.
    http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2012/08/24/news/doc503780fa97408982121834.txt

HK 45 V7 Light LEM BC
    HK MR556 BB
    HK USPc .45 Stainless V7 Light LEM AK
    HK P2000SK V1 Light LEM AG
    HK USP 9mm V7 Match-Light LEM Hybrid BA
    HK P30 9mm V1 Light LEM BD
    PTR-91KF .308
    HK MR762 BD
    HK MR556 BF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Always good news. A new indoor shooting range is opening up in Berea by the end of the year. Great to see additions on the firearm front.

Berea approves site for indoor firing range | cleveland.com

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice to see ranges opening up in NE ohio. I will stick with going to the ODNR range in west farmington. no watching the clock for hourly rate, and with only 24 bucks for a year pass ( 5 bucks for a day pass), beats paying the hundreds indoor ranges want. Plus you can shoot rifles at 50 and 100 yards.

Sponsored Links