Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt15550 View Post
    I don’t see why they wouldn’t be. If it’s Nylon 66, it’s the same stuff. Just like 7075-T6 lowers. Might be manufactured poorly so parts don’t fit, but the properties of the material are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TBT parts do require some fitting; not a problem if you're letting TB do the work from the ground up.

There is also a difference in the surface "finish" on the plastic. The TBT parts have a rougher surface texture than factory HK. There is a similar situation on my SL8 receiver which I had a TB magwell conversion done on. He refinished the right side to make it all blend. But I elected to not have my left side remarked at all. The HK factory finish to the plastic is smoother. Nevertheless, the right side of my SL8 receiver seems smoother than the T36 receiver. The TBT/MM rewelds also seem to have a surface smoothness right in line with the HK SL8.

Real G36 receivers have metal embedded at stress points in the receiver. I'm not sure if T36 receivers completely duplicate this work, but I'm sure there is at least an admirable attempt.

At any rate, if you buy a T36 clone, I'm sure you'll be happy.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9
    Future: Done, until HK comes out with something new & nifty. Might start building an FNH collection.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I had an issue with mine but it was minor. I bought a German K parts kit and sent it to Tom to build into a SBR using one of his receivers when they went on sale. Also sent a magpul mag for 922r reasons. Its still pending a form 4 but I did get a chance to shoot it at a local shoot where the dealer brought it out for me.

The US made mag release he provided would not work with magpul mags including the one I sent that was returned with the gun without a fight. They should have caught this. My dealer and I swapped some parts around as he has a tommy built sl8 conversion before I ran home and grabbed the german mag release that came with my parts kit. That fixed the issue and the gun now will work with both the magpul mags and the german ones. Now to be clear I didn't give Tom a chance to fix this, I had the German part and it took care of it. If I didn't though I'm not sure if they would have sent me a different one to try or have me mail the gun back.

The plus side? Gun looked good and when we took it out it was close enough on accuracy wise to ring steel at 100 yards with the kac sights on it. Didn't have any other issues although I don't have much time with the gun yet.

Most of the issues I've heard of with the guns are where people bought the receivers and assembled the guns themselves. Some fitment issues came up or some needed a longer cam pin. Haven't heard much from people that had him build the guns so I guess I was a little unlucky but at least I had a spare part that fixed mine.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?

Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    The US made mag release he provided would not work with magpul mags
    Do you happen to have a picture of the mag release lever, by chance?

The only tweaking I’ve needed to perform is to remove about 1-2mm of material from the bottom of brand new buffer plates so the top pin would clear the receiver. Used ones were fine. My B&T G36 handguard pin is tighter than sht, but the KAC and HK fit fine. The barrel nut is so snug the first time you install a barrel it seems like you must be doing something wrong, but once the threads grab it’s a piece of cake. Putting the #%£¥ stock pin in is the hardest part of the whole job.

Mags take some force to seat with a closed bolt on all mine. I’ve got plenty of levers, I could probably shave a bit off the top to see if that helps.

Last edited by jt15550; 05-21-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    01 / 03

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt15550 View Post
    Do you happen to have a picture of the mag release lever, by chance?

I'll have to look but I think we just tossed it.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Even if you have issues, Tom will make it right. Can't beat his customer service.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Alright, some people just complain. They complain because it is the only thing they have that makes them relevant.

There is variation in the HK receivers too. You will find size differences. This is visually observable along the "rivet" line on the left side of the receiver. Some receivers have waves you can surf on while some do not have the waves at all. Some have waves that can be seen but they are less pronounced than others. These waves are on HK made G36 receivers. As for the T36, the molds for the receivers were milled from actual HK mold blueprints. So, these guys complaining they are not as good is kind of silly. I wonder if there is a difference in how steel cased ammo dents a polymer deflector.

Here is an example of an HK receiver's rivet line. I would consider this to be a less pronounced set of waves:

As for the texture...ahhh my love affair with the texture of G36's...Nothing matches! The only way to get a consistent match is to refinish all of the parts, but then only those parts will match each other. Even then, the refinished parts will feel slightly rough to the touch. You can knock that roughness feel down by applying a coating of something slick; although, it is possible what you use (silicone as an example) will make it so that refinishing it in the future will not be a good option because it will interfere with getting good adhesion.

Here is an HK factory K handguard and an HK factory magwell. Both are stock parts without any surface modifications whatsoever. The receiver finish is my best effort at matching the K handguard's finish.

The molds wear out over time. There is a spectrum where tolerances are still allowable. After so many pulls, the texturing becomes worn down and appears/feels less pronounced. We also need to remember these things were made as tools, not collector showpieces. If you want a perfect G36/T36, you will have to completely refinish every part.
    sickness, MSOGDAWG and Brad4065 like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post

There is variation in the HK receivers too. You will find size differences. This is visually observable along the "rivet" line on the left side of the receiver. Some receivers have waves you can surf on while some do not have the waves at all.
    Those are speed waves. It makes the gun shoot faster.

Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?-ddqer_cw4aablvc.jpg

The molds wear out over time. There is a spectrum where tolerances are still allowable. After so many pulls, the texturing becomes worn down and appears/feels less pronounced. We also need to remember these things were made as tools, not collector showpieces. If you want a perfect G36/T36, you will have to completely refinish every part.
    Then I guess it's up to us to buy so many T36 receivers the molds wear out.
    Nzfly and MSOGDAWG like this.
    01 / 03

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

As for the T36, the molds for the receivers were milled from actual HK mold blueprints.
    Is this really the case? I understand these originated from Bailey and have never heard that before.

One can make a rough finish smoother (and remove scratches) albeit making it shinier too by soda blasting the surface.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes, it is.

As far as using an air eraser, I know they are crappy for effecting the surface of N12 PA. I can’t imagine how it would be anymore effective on N6/6.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Thanks.

I’ve never heard of air eraser, but in googling, it looks like a very tame version of soda blasting. I’ve successfully soda blasted scratches off a Walther polymer PPS frame with results like I mentioned. No idea if it’s similar to Nylon 6/6 though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links