Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    Thanks.

I’ve never heard of air eraser, but in googling, it looks like a very tame version of soda blasting. I’ve successfully soda blasted scratches off a Walther polymer PPS frame with results like I mentioned. No idea if it’s similar to Nylon 6/6 though.
    I’ll check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only shame with it I can see is the giant logo on the side
    GuntherRommel likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notgoodwithnames View Post
    The only shame with it I can see is the giant logo on the side
    The TBT logo? I don't see the shame in that exactly. It's a pretty good quality clone. My only gripe with it is that it IS a clone, and my general rule of thumb is to not pursue clones when a "reasonable" (this is rather subjective) HK option exists. And that's no real gripe. I have my eye on some type of clone roller lock pistol in 7.62x51, and also perhaps in 7.62x39.

From what I've seen of them, TBT clones are rather nice. I opted not to own one, because I already have a SL8 and a G36 reweld. As my only AR pattern gun, I decided the 416 fit my super-short 5.56 needs better than another G36 variant.

But if I wanted a G36, the T36 is a great option.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, P8, 2x P8A1, USP9
    Future: Done, until HK comes out with something new & nifty. Might start building an FNH collection.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    The TBT logo? I don't see the shame in that exactly. It's a pretty good quality clone. My only gripe with it is that it IS a clone, and my general rule of thumb is to not pursue clones when a "reasonable" (this is rather subjective) HK option exists. And that's no real gripe. I have my eye on some type of clone roller lock pistol in 7.62x51, and also perhaps in 7.62x39.

From what I've seen of them, TBT clones are rather nice. I opted not to own one, because I already have a SL8 and a G36 reweld. As my only AR pattern gun, I decided the 416 fit my super-short 5.56 needs better than another G36 variant.

But if I wanted a G36, the T36 is a great option.
    If given the choice between a slick side upper or one with a giant logo I'd go slick though. It's the same as pistols that have "read manual before use" engraved on them. It's not entirely his fault tho, I know he just copied the way HK did theirs

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The T36 series are excellent guns regardless of the “clone” designation or not. As Mr. Bostic said to me, anything HK G36/is 20+ year old technology, not that there is anything wrong with that but my guns are made with 21st century tech from the ground up, materials, finish and welds. Furthermore, even if you have a reweld G36 you have to replace 6 parts on it to be compliant. I use HK mags in my T36’s and they have just enough US parts to make it GTG so I really can’t see the downside of having a Bostic over and HK especially since you could buy 3 of Toms guns for one reweld. I have seen the Bostic guns sell for $3500-4500, however.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    Furthermore, even if you have a reweld G36 you have to replace 6 parts on it to be compliant.
    That depends on the configuration of the gun. Pistols are not covered by 922r, and can therefore be entirely German. Once a fully functioning pistol has been created from foreign parts, one can SBR it, and that status trumps 922r, (when building an SBR from a pistol; building an SBR from parts is another matter, and an ATF letter says in that case 922r holds). But, nevertheless, you can add get a German stock for your all German pistol after you get a stamp.

Only Title 1 rifles need to be made 922r compliant.
    Future: Done, until HK comes out with something new & nifty. Might start building an FNH collection.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

That depends on the configuration of the gun. Pistols are not covered by 922r, and can therefore be entirely German. Once a fully functioning pistol has been created from foreign parts, one can SBR it, and that status trumps 922r, (when building an SBR from a pistol; building an SBR from parts is another matter, and an ATF letter says in that case 922r holds). But, nevertheless, you can add get a German stock for your all German pistol after you get a stamp.

Only Title 1 rifles need to be made 922r compliant.
    I think he might be referring to a SL8 with a welded G36 stub. That would always be a rifle,except in rare and unusual circumstances ;-)

A complete re-weld like some of Toms earlier receivers or the one done for Michael's Machines, can be pistols from the get go as therefore not required to have 922r parts. @sickness I am not sure that SBRs from pistols don't need to be 922r compliant. Can you share a link or a something that corroborates this?

Banned

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The Logo is a bit silly IMHO

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

....... one can SBR it and that status trumps 922r.
    Fully aware of the pistol thing and inconsistent ATF regs but without a brace or stock, no practical use and there are many that would regard the above quote as incorrect but that’s off topic in this thread.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    Fully aware of the pistol thing and inconsistent ATF regs but without a brace or stock, no practical use and there are many that would regard the above quote as incorrect but that’s off topic in this thread.
    Fair enough about it being off-topic, and I'll agree that there are inconsistent ATF regs, and differing opinions surrounding them.

But I would add at this point a stock, or brace - while useful, and necessary -- isn't exactly high tech, or in need of fine engineering. I could make due with a Louisville Slugger duct taped to my pistol in an apocalyptic pinch. A nearly-all-German-except-the-brace pistol is probably shortened to 'all German' in most peoples minds.

Quote Originally Posted by kbinmt View Post
    I think he might be referring to a SL8 with a welded G36 stub. That would always be a rifle,except in rare and unusual circumstances ;-)
    Yeah, in thinking about it, it could be a terminology thing. I don't know that I've ever heard of such things as "rewelds", rather I've seen folks refer to them as "converted SL8" or when such work isn't done, as 'stock block' SL8.

Quote Originally Posted by kbinmt View Post
    A complete re-weld like some of Toms earlier receivers or the one done for Michael's Machines, can be pistols from the get go as therefore not required to have 922r parts. @sickness I am not sure that SBRs from pistols don't need to be 922r compliant. Can you share a link or a something that corroborates this?
    Yeah, those are what I think of when I think "reweld". In any event, I'll dig up a few of the more compelling references I've come across and PM you with it, because I don't want to start a holy war.
    Last edited by sickness; 05-22-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links