Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?

Looks to be numerous people who recommend Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 offerings, but I stumbled across a Mishaco video on youtube where he voiced some disappointment in the overall construction and perceived durability of his gun compared to a German produced G36. Just wondering if anyone else experienced dissatisfaction before I consider spending $2500+ on a clone rifle.
    I've fired a TommyBuilt Tactical G36k clone in person and was very impressed but that person had sent TommyBuilt a bunch of parts from a German parts kit so very little of it was actually produced here in the US.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Anyone not satisfied with Tommybuilt Tactical's G36 clones?

Who is Mishaco, and what makes them an expert on the SL8/G36 platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01 / 03

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Apparently he is some Youtube gun guy.

I assume this is the video Johnson184 is talking about:

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt15550 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Apparently he is some Youtube gun guy.

They guy does have access to some neat stuff though. I call him "Quatro" as he looks like Trey Knight's special needs son/little brother.
    Last edited by dms16; 05-20-2019 at 03:02 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Must be a different video, he doesn’t go in to the quality topic in that one.

I spent hours yesterday installing barrels and swapping parts on two T36 and one SL8/G36 conversion. I also did a write-up of differences in parts between those direct from HK and the ones on my T36C. While I personally prefer OEM parts given the opportunity, other than small visual cues I see few differences in fit, finish, anything between the Tbostic and HK parts, and I would have no problem putting tens of thousands of rounds through his receiver.

01 / 03

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mishaco was selling a TBT T36K on gb. I asked some very basic questions about what parts are German vs US. The response I got was 'I have no idea'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt15550 View Post

I'm going with this too.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

jt15550 - Maybe this video

Dushan
    "Not by strength by guile"

BT APC9 /IWI X95 /AR15 /HK VP9 /HK P2000 /Glock 43 /Walther "HK" MP5 A5

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Alright, I skimmed through the video (and was creeped out by his immobile face and insistence on wearing sunglasses indoors... maybe he has a light sensitivity problem or something).

His comparison was between a T36K carbine (with stock and pinned extended flash hider to get it to 16") and a Michael's Machine G36 built from a full German parts kit on an SL8 receiver (which he stated was worth about $6k, so you can have the price comparison over the $2500 T36).

Anyway, to summarize his results:

Pros:
    • Action smooth
    • Worked with brass and steel ammo
    • No issues in function
    • Stock tight

Issues:

• Rail screw fell out while shooting
    • Polymer sights, not that good
    • Receiver "soft" at the front by trunnion. Seemed "squishy" compared to original German military parts kit gun from MM. Attributed to possible different spacing of trunnions on two guns.
    • Butt plate loose on stock after a few rounds (still not coming off)
    • Selector a "little less firm and positive" compared to original German military parts kit.
    • Brass deflector got beat up after only a few rounds (finish less robust?)
    • Unburnt powder seemingly bouncing back on T36 when shooting Wolf, ostensibly because of pinned, extended flash suppressor/brake

The last issue what was he flagged as the "most concerning". However, since it is coming from the pinned extended flash suppressor to get it to legal length and his comparison was to an MM built G36 that was a pistol with a factory brake, that's a weird comparison in my book. Nothing he stated would indicate that they wouldn't have had the same exact issue with Wolf ammo (notoriously dirty) in the MM gun, if it was set up as a carbine with a similar extended break.

So, I have no dog in this fight at all, as I really struggle to justify spending $2500 on a gun I can't run my sear in (as pretty as I find the T36 pistols), let alone $6000, but given the monumental price difference, I don't think anything on the "Issues" list would really engender too much of a problem to me, other than maybe the "softness" of the receiver around the trunnion. I don't know enough about the G36 platform to tell if that is a major issue or just a cosmetic one.

Either way, to me, if you are dropping $6K, you've already moved into machine gun territory and you'd be better off buying a subgun, like an M11 or M10 (or even a Reising or STEN).

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Alright, I skimmed through the video (and was creeped out by his immobile face and insistence on wearing sunglasses indoors... maybe he has a light sensitivity problem or something).
    It took me a minute to catch on, but he’s blind.

The rail, stock, and flashhider can and in my option should be replaced with better (looking) options. I did have to go check a receiver and if you really press, there is actually a slight give - but the SL8 does it too.

Nzfly likes this.
    01 / 03

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links