• 1 Post By AGG
  • 1 Post By Kisara

Thread: Bad engraving FIXED and better than ever

GTabbal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bad engraving FIXED and better than ever

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to post this information for some time and haven't had the opportunity to do so but better late than never.

In brief, I had a locally recommended engraver attempt to put my approved Form I mandated engraving on my USC/UMP with the name of my trust and locality. What I got instead is hard to describe other sad and pathetic: The pictures I've attached speak for themselves.

When I went to pick the gun up, the engraver (who is no longer in business so I won't mention his name), informed me that he "had problems with the plastic receiver" and suggested I take it to a gunsmith to try to fix.

Yeah, I p'ed off to say the least. When I returned home, I noticed that he also failed to engrave my PS90 so I sent him an email to get a refund. His reply to me was that he would be be happy to engrave the PS 90 if I brought it back to him but he wouldn't issue me a refund despite the fact that he never provided the service I had paid for (regarding the PS90), not to mention the fact that he had (in my opinion) nearly ruined my USC/UMP without even an apology.

I searched long and hard for someone to tackle the project of restoring the bad engraving on the upper receiver and finally came across a company "Black Ops Defense" who I previously not been aware of. Wes, the owner of the company, replied to my email which I had sent to numerous companies across the country regarding the work I needed.

Fast forward a few weeks: when they were finished, not only did the correct the horrendous job done by the previous engraver, but they correctly engraved the gun and did a "true" conversion by welding the plastic/polymer upper receiver of my USC to the back 1/3 of a UMP upper receiver. The last I checked, this is as authentic of a UMP as you can get when starting from a USC.

I should probably have mentioned that after buying the USC nearly 17 years ago, I had it first undergo a "grease gun mag" conversion (by todd bailey) followed by a legacy style UMP conversion (by hdps). In total, both of those alterations had cost me well over $2000.

In summary, I couldn't be more pleased with the performance and capabilities that "Wes" from Black Ops Deense provided. His work was simply outstanding. I trust that anyone with eyes can see from the images that I'm not embellishing. Also of note, his professionalism is second to none. The fees I was charged for his work was a fraction of what I had paid others over the course of the gun's history to do.

Just For the record, I have no affiliation and/or relationship to the owners, employees and or company blackopsdefense.com. I just want to give him credit for his work and let others know, both what to watch out for when getting your gun engraved and also to keep hope should you ever find yourself in a similar situation to mine.
    Bad engraving FIXED and better than ever-aftermessup.jpgBad engraving FIXED and better than ever-afterfix.jpgBad engraving FIXED and better than ever-asofcurrently.jpg
    I love roller-blocks

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtabbal View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to post this information for some time and haven't had the opportunity to do so but better late than never.

In brief, I had a locally recommended engraver attempt to put my approved Form I mandated engraving on my USC/UMP with the name of my trust and locality. What I got instead is hard to describe other sad and pathetic: The pictures I've attached speak for themselves.

When I went to pick the gun up, the engraver (who is no longer in business so I won't mention his name), informed me that he "had problems with the plastic receiver" and suggested I take it to a gunsmith to try to fix.

Yeah, I p'ed off to say the least. When I returned home, I noticed that he also failed to engrave my PS90 so I sent him an email to get a refund. His reply to me was that he would be be happy to engrave the PS 90 if I brought it back to him but he wouldn't issue me a refund despite the fact that he never provided the service I had paid for (regarding the PS90), not to mention the fact that he had (in my opinion) nearly ruined my USC/UMP without even an apology.

I searched long and hard for someone to tackle the project of restoring the bad engraving on the upper receiver and finally came across a company "Black Ops Defense" who I previously not been aware of. Wes, the owner of the company, replied to my email which I had sent to numerous companies across the country regarding the work I needed.

Fast forward a few weeks: when they were finished, not only did the correct the horrendous job done by the previous engraver, but they correctly engraved the gun and did a "true" conversion by welding the plastic/polymer upper receiver of my USC to the back 1/3 of a UMP upper receiver. The last I checked, this is as authentic of a UMP as you can get when starting from a USC.

I should probably have mentioned that after buying the USC nearly 17 years ago, I had it first undergo a "grease gun mag" conversion (by todd bailey) followed by a legacy style UMP conversion (by hdps). In total, both of those alterations had cost me well over $2000.

In summary, I couldn't be more pleased with the performance and capabilities that "Wes" from Black Ops Deense provided. His work was simply outstanding. I trust that anyone with eyes can see from the images that I'm not embellishing. Also of note, his professionalism is second to none. The fees I was charged for his work was a fraction of what I had paid others over the course of the gun's history to do.

Just For the record, I have no affiliation and/or relationship to the owners, employees and or company blackopsdefense.com. I just want to give him credit for his work and let others know, both what to watch out for when getting your gun engraved and also to keep hope should you ever find yourself in a similar situation to mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AfterMessUp.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	250062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AfterFix.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	250064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AsOfCurrently.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	250066
    Very nice repair work--- and rifle and setup!!!

Tony
    gtabbal likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's some great work! Glad you were able to restore it to perfection. Now you need to go after him legally for the money he owes. Not just for the PS90 engraving that wasn't done, but refunding the USC engraving cost and the cost of another gunsmith repairing his damage (Which he admitted needs fixing). Winning in court with your documentation and photos should be an easy win.

Good luck
    gtabbal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The company stole your money and you won't name them? Really? That's hilarious.

GTabbal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

scalpel arms located in north texas (previously just north of Dallas proper).

https://scalpelarms.com/
    I love roller-blocks

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glad that you got your UMP repaired and engraved properly.
    It came out looking very nice.
    I would also suggest that you take legal action to get your money back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome looking UMP!

Even better looking repair!

Congrats!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Plastics can be a real bear to engrave when using a pantograph. It appears the original engraver was using a metal bit vs a plastic specific bit. Using the wrong bit will result in the plastic melting which obviously happened. Nice repair, glad it worked out

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wes at BOPS Defense refinished an MP5 stock for me just recently. It took a few weeks but what I got back was a old stock new stock. They did a good job and it matches up to the paint on my MP5 really well.
    Glad to see they fixed that mess for you that’s gut wrenching to even look at.

Sponsored Links