Which brace for SP5?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which brace for SP5?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Which brace for SP5?

Finally added a SP5 to the collection and I'd like to add a brace (for now, anyway - trying to avoid SBR'ing anything with the political season coming up).

I don't have any experience running a brace on the fullsize MP5 platform, so I thought I'd ask here: what's the best brace to use?

I intend to primarily use it for shouldering (unless the ATF reverses it's current position). Aesthetically, I'm a fan of the retracting style. It seems that SB Tactical is the biggest manufacturer of braces here, but their retracting model looks less... "solid," for lack of a better word.

Anyways, any recommendations? Here are the models I've found (please let me know if there's any I've overlooked).

Folding: https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/hkpdw/
    Retracting: https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sbt5a/

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I purchased the Safety Harbor retractable unit with a Tailhook Brace for my Z5RS. I could not be more pleased with this unit. They are not cheap, but are very well built and sturdy......a class act!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought the Custom Smith collapsible stock for mine. Works great

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the tailhook brace mounted on an ar pistol tube with the hera arms sfu and a ar stock adapter. Great setup, extremely solid. I am getting ready to sbr my k, if you are interested send me a pm

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will get a SB Tactical retractible stock delivered today. I'll post a photo and comments later.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My SB Tactical retractable brace showed up. It appears to be very well built, but it did not go right on and will require minor modifications. The aluminum end cap was VERY tight. The instructions state that you might need to "tap the brace into place with a non-marring hammer." I used the heel of my hand and got it down as far as it would go. It stopped about 1/3" short of fully seating. After a few more gentle taps, I took it off. I had to use a wooden spoon handle to tap the brace cap back off - it was too tight to pull off by hand.

WhenI got it off, I saw that it had marred the finish on the receiver and the bottom of the trigger pack. I also noticed that the rubber buffer inside the end cap seemed to be the culprit for why it would not seat. There was a small imprint from the the f/a bolt carrier block that is in the SP5 receiver.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1htrvaiju/

My plan is to use some 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove a slight amount of the metal from inside the end cap to allow for easier installation and removal. (A tight fit is great, but this was not practical.) I will also plan to remove the area of the rubber buffer that the block hit to allow it to seat.

I'll post an update when it is set up.

Has anyone else had the same issues with the SB Tactical folding brace? Do thse also have the aluminum end cap?
    Last edited by Bgood; 01-30-2020 at 03:26 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I spoke with SB Tactical this AM and was told that the lower left screw inside the brace cap will prevent the unit from seating, and that the buffer does not need to be trimmed. I’ll try it out this weekend and post how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any luck with this? Trying to figure out what to get for my new sp5.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgood View Post
    I spoke with SB Tactical this AM and was told that the lower left screw inside the brace cap will prevent the unit from seating, and that the buffer does not need to be trimmed. I’ll try it out this weekend and post how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bgood View Post
    This ^^^^

I just pick up my SP5 and could not get the SB HK PDW Brace to line up with the pin hole. I found the above pointer and removed that screw. Now it lines up with no issues.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry I did not post anything else on this earlier. I worked on removing some of the material from the inside of the brace with 1500 grit sandpaper so it would fit more reasonably. It was WAY too tight as it came and did some cosmetic damage to my receiver. I did not finish that work before I was out of town for about a week and have not gotten back to it. Glad to hear the screw removal worked!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links