MP5 Lighted Forends
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: MP5 Lighted Forends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP5 Lighted Forends

I recently started looking for a lighted forend for my SP5, which will eventually become my designated HD pistol (w/ brace). I'm ruling out the B&T TL-99 based on the overwhelming number of reviews indicating fit issues - I don't want to have bust out a mallet to change out a forend because B&T couldn't be bothered to get the tolerances right.

So that leaves surefire forends, which seem to vary in price wildly, ranging from $200-$700. Obviously new/used will have some influence on price. Other than new/used/condition, what other factors are there? Are there certain models/features that are more/less desirable?

Also considering a front sight post/pic rail for a flashlight attachment, though that's really more geared towards the k. Has anyone used those? Are they quality?

Thanks!
    Last edited by HyruleHero; 02-03-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before you buy ask yourself if you intend to suppress the firearm or use the flash hider and, if so buy the one with the proper "Offset" to accommodate your needs so you don't have to buy two or repair parts.

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

geez....a little bit of filing the plastic pin hole isn't that big a deal.....
    bluegrassstalker and fatmat27 like this.
    Heckler & Koch Shooting Team
    Heckler & Koch Certified Armorer

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Here is my setup suppressed. It works but it's pretty tight. Although mine has the welded sling attachment so the SP5 may have more clearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsubihu2J1s

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have a vintage Streamlight rail setup that bridges the front sight triple frame and uses a screw that passes through the front pin hole. It looks as though it would block a suppressor as surely as most of the Surefire lighted forends. I put it on briefly, then put it away in case I ever pick up an SP5K, where suppressors aren't an issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I also have the B&T light for my SP5, and I used a small hand file to try to get a clean fit, but no.....I still use a punch mallet. This weekend I'm going to break out the dremel.

I plan to keep the light on while using it as a PDW at home, but swap for original grip when going to the range. The mallet is not a HUGE pain, but I'd rather have it quickly swappable. I will dremel it into submission at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HyruleHero View Post
    I recently started looking for a lighted forend for my SP5, which will eventually become my designated HD pistol (w/ brace). I'm ruling out the B&T TL-99 based on the overwhelming number of reviews indicating fit issues - I don't want to have bust out a mallet to change out a forend because B&T couldn't be bothered to get the tolerances right.

So that leaves surefire forends, which seem to vary in price wildly, ranging from $200-$700. Obviously new/used will have some influence on price. Other than new/used/condition, what other factors are there? Are there certain models/features that are more/less desirable?

Also considering a front sight post/pic rail for a flashlight attachment, though that's really more geared towards the k. Has anyone used those? Are they quality?

Thanks!

Are you planning on shooting suppressed? I ALMOST got my Surefire to work with my GSL Stealth. Surefire offers a military discount if you qualify so that will help with the price.MP5 Lighted Forends-gsl-surefire-1.jpgMP5 Lighted Forends-gsl-surefire-2.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MP5 Lighted Forends-328lmf.pngMP5 Lighted Forends-surefire-no-thread-protector-2-.jpg

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bystok View Post
    geez....a little bit of filing the plastic pin hole isn't that big a deal.....
    Mine was a little snug as well but instead of taking material from the pin-hole, I filed the tension tab on the other end. Just used the buffing wheel to take off the smallest amount to make it fit perfectly. Got it for barely over $100 (thanks @bystok ) so I didn't really feel like I was f'n with a $500 part.
    bystok likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

this is just my opinion.... I prefer a railed/M-LOK forend with a light mounted over the older integral light built into the forend. I like mounting a SF X300U (or other comparable mounted light). Again, just my preference/suggestion. At the very least I recommend trying it out (if you can look at someone else's set-up), before you commit to the SF dedicated forend.

good luck..
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c