Returning to the fold with a P30L in hand

Thread: Returning to the fold with a P30L in hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Returning to the fold with a P30L in hand

I finally bit the bullet and purchased my first new HK in about 10 years. Eager to share my joy, here I am jumping on the forum to report on its flawless operation (for the one range session it has seen)...

After a bit of internal debate over which version of the P30 I wanted, I settled on the 9mm P30L v1, and I must say I am very happy with the decision. This was my first time ever live-firing the LEM trigger (I'd given it a few dry-fire pulls in the past), and so far it's everything I had hoped it would be: very smooth (if long) take-up, with a SA-like break and moderate reset length. I should add I like a positive reset (which this trigger has), but unlike some who insist on ultra-short reset length, I actually prefer a little bit of forgiveness in that area, and the LEM is just about perfect in both regards.

On to the actual shooting:

340 rds total in this session, mostly Winchester NATO-spec 124 gr. load, with some left-over CorBon and Golden Saber JHPs (115 +P and 124 +P respectively) which have been sitting in storage for ~15 yrs and it was time to get them out of circulation. I decided to shoot mostly hot loads through the brand-new gun to give it a healthy "break-in" period, and I must say it really liked the NATO stuff, which gave my best groups of the day–the price is not dirt-cheap, but in bulk I can usually find it affordably and given its consistency and quality, it may just become my P30's staple diet. Regardless, it fed and functioned well with all loads offered.

No malfunctions.

Now, part of the reason I have made this new purchase is because I have been out of the game for a while, and am planning to get back into shooting more frequently. As it has been a few years since I've shot regularly, MY accuracy probably leaves something to be desired. However, I am convinced the P30L is a very accurate gun out of the box. I shot a 5-round group (standing) with the Winchester NATO load toward the end of the session, and the best 4 out of 5 printed about 7/8 inch @ 25 ft. The one flyer, which was surely my fault for jerking the trigger a bit, still only opened the group out to about 1¾". I know I'm not going to impress anybody with my skill (or lack thereof), but if even in my rusty hands, with a trigger system I'm not fully used to yet, this gun can shoot ragged holes like that on its first outing, it's a winner in my book.

I'll note that the groups were consistently printing a little left for me, with all ammo types; not sure if the sights need pushing or my technique is screwing it up. I'll reserve judgement until I've shot it some more.

In summary: delighted with my new P30L, and now I just need to resist the urge to add the standard-length P30 to the safe; we'll see how long I can hold out.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, congratulations on the newest acquisition, and thanks for the report!!!
    What will you get in another 10 years (not that I think it will take that long)?

Tony

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Get the v4.1 trigger in it and report back..

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Freak From my understanding, the 4.1 just reduces the pre-travel of the trigger, correct? Reset is the same? If that's the case, I don't really see myself needing that mod. I'm happy with the slight, extra safety factor of the longer initial pull (realistically, it doesn't slow my shooting appreciably, and I'm not competing for milliseconds), and once I get shooting, follow-ups (reset) will be the same. I may look at the stiffer return spring, however.
    @AGG (Tony) By 10 years from now, I expect HK to be making directed energy weapons; I'll get one of those

I should further note, for anyone interested in the minutiae of my range experience:

1. I did clean and re-lube it very quickly before my first range session (used Militec-1, as I have successfully on all my firearms for years).

2. I debated getting the factory tritium night sights, but opted for the standard luminovas because a) the gun I wanted was in stock with them, and B) I decided if I wanted tritium lamps I would prefer to retrofit with Trijicon HDs anyway. I may still opt for the HDs eventually, but the stock sights have surpassed my expectations. They take very little time to charge in light, are very bright in dark areas for some time thereafter, pop beautifully in daylight too, seem to be capped by a glass bead? — which if I'm correct would provide good protection from solvents, etc, and makes carbon easy to wipe off the front sight. Oh, and even after hours in complete darkness they glow enough for me to make them out (provided my eyes are darkness adapted—think night table gun you pick up at 0-dark-thirty). This being the first HK I've owned that had the new luminescent sights, I must confess I am much more impressed than I thought I would be with them.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You mentioned a long trigger pull. The v4.1 mitigates some of your concern. Much cheaper than sending to Lazywolf, which should be in your future, when you need the next step in your quest for that ultimate p30l trigger.. just go with it... it’s only money...You’re worth it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Freak I may have imperfectly expressed myself; when I said the LEM initial take-up is long, I meant it only as an observation, not a criticism. I don't mind the length.

As for sending it to a smith for a "trigger job," with a handgun which is potentially to be used in a defensive capacity, I am actually very conservative when it comes to messing with the trigger (or other internals for that matter): I generally leave the trigger factory stock, unless it's unbelievably horrible (in which case, why would I buy that to begin with?). I understand the desire to have the "ultimate" trigger in one's pistol, for the pleasure and ease of accuracy it brings at the range, but speaking just for myself, when it comes to a defensive handgun, I really try not to out-think the engineers at HK. The v4 modification would be more up my alley. As I understand it, it is probably a safe bet, in keeping with my philosophy, since it just swaps HK original parts to achieve a trigger variant which is "officially endorsed" just not marketed in this country. Still, I think I'll get some more time behind the trigger as delivered before I decide what, if anything, I need to change about it. So far I'm pretty happy with it as-is.
    Last edited by Faustus; 11-03-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Sponsored Links