First day out with my brand new VP9 Tactical (my first HK). I have a few questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First day out with my brand new VP9 Tactical (my first HK). I have a few questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default First day out with my brand new VP9 Tactical (my first HK). I have a few questions

Hey guys so I took my new VP9 out yesterday. First I’d like to just say how fantastic of a shooter it is. I swapped the grip panels to a good size for me and the ergos are awesome. It’s accurate and fun to shoot. I forgot how much I liked polymer striker fired guns (I sold my G19 last summer. So far the VP9 is way better). I love it so far.

A couple of questions. I’ve read that during the break in period, 124/147 grain should be used. I went to the range shop before shooting and the guy behind the counter INSISTED that I was wrong and that 115 would be fine... well he was way wrong. I had multiple FTF & FTE during the first 100 rounds or so. This didn’t bother me since I had been expecting it. I also switched from Blazer brass to S&B which cycled much better.

My real question is as follows. I noticed that sometimes when reloading a magazine, the slide would rack forward and the gun would go into battery. This troubled me. Is this just another break-in issue that’ll go away? Is it because the recoil spring is just very tight on new VP9s? It occurred whether I loaded the magazine with 5 or 15 rounds and whether I “slammed” it back into the gun or used a normal amount of force. Would storing the gun with the slide locked back solve this? What about storing the magazines with ammo to break in the mag spring?

Thanks for your feedback
    Last edited by echup; 01-21-2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
    HK VP9 Tactical
    CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
    CZ 75 Compact (steel/railed, SKU: 99021)
    CZ 75 Pre-B (1995)
    CZ P-07
    Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echup View Post
    ...I noticed that sometimes when reloading a magazine, the slide would rack forward and the gun would go into battery. This troubled me. Is this just another break-in issue that’ll go away? Is it because the recoil spry is just very tight on new VP9s? It occurred whether I loaded the magazine with 5 or 15 rounds and whether I “slammed” it back into the gun or used a normal amount of force. Would storing the gun with the slide locked back solve...
    This is very normal for all HK pistols. No worries there.
    TheJerkman likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent04 View Post
    This is very normal for all HK pistols. No worries there.
    Thank you. I assume this means it'll simply pass with time? Or should I store the gun with the slide back?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I went to the range shop before shooting and the guy behind the counter INSISTED that I was wrong and that 115 would be fine.
    Next time you see him, you might suggest he read the Operators Manual before giving expert advice. ;-)
    Old fart, with guns

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

#1. You will always find geniuses behind the counter at your LGS. Well, almost always. They are the know-it-all guy.

#2. Did you read your manual? If you did, read it again. Hint: page 15. There must have been 2 zillion threads about this issue and people keep asking about it.

If you don't want it to go forward when loading, don't slam the mag. Heck, I love that "undocumented feature". Makes me look like a cool mall Ninja.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    #1. You will always find geniuses behind the counter at your LGS. Well, almost always. They are the know-it-all guy.

#2. Did you read your manual? If you did, read it again. Hint: page 15. There must have been 2 zillion threads about this issue and people keep asking about it.

If you don't want it to go forward when loading, don't slam the mag. Heck, I love that "undocumented feature". Makes me look like a cool mall Ninja.
    Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. I did plenty of research before, but should've read the manual. Either way, the main point of the post was to sing the gun's praises. I'm extremely satisfied with it and can't wait to shoot it again!
    Jeppo likes this.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

From round 1 115gr and no issues
    kz2 likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon02 View Post
    same here ....

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Thank you. I assume this means it'll simply pass with time? Or should I store the gun with the slide back?
    This will have no impact at all. I believe the gun is designed for the slide to go into battery when a fresh mag is slammed into it, chambering a fresh round.

But as TooSixy advised, when you do this, please point your gun downrange and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon02 View Post
    May I ask which brand ammo you used? My gun simply wouldn't cycle with Blazer Brass 115, but was much better with S&B 115

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links