Terrible target...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Terrible target...

  1. #1
    HKPRO Professional
    Ryan...'s Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Location : Wisconsin
    Posts : 46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Terrible target...

    Well, I went and shot my new VP9 and the target was, how can I put it, terrible....

    Little background, I've been shooting for about 15 years, almost exclusively Glocks with a 1911 thrown in there. I've been in law enforcement for just under 5 years, and have been practicing/shooting the state qualifications without issue for over 6. I have probably close to 15k rounds through my two Glock 17s both with night sights.

    I have never even come close to failing a state qualification which includes some give-me shots at 3 yards, some more give-me shots at 5 yards, couple shots from 7 yards, shooting from behind barriers at 15 yards, and then 4 shots from 25 yards.


    If I had shot that same qualification today with the VP9 I very well may have failed.

    Gun feels fantastic in my hand, I had a good grip, felt like my sight alignment was good, so I'm at a loss. I should have taken photos of the target, because it was really confusing. From 10 yards I was putting 5 rounds into a 2" circle, then I would wing one about 6" high, next one was 4" low and to the right, then I'd put the next one dead center with my first great grouping. I know I'm not limp wristing it, don't feel like I'm anticipating my shots/breaking wrist up/down, I really think it's related to the sights/my sight alignment.


    Is there anything I should know about shooting an HK vs other pistols? Or, perhaps, I just had a very, very off day of shooting.
    Overconfidence erodes vigilance.

  2. #2
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    GuntherRommel's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Location : Bend, Oregon
    Age : 48
    Posts : 844
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Send it back and get a USP, Kidding. Sorry to hear that. Maybe try from a bench rest and see if you are getting the same results. Could just be new gun jitters or a bad lockup on the barrel?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    JeepJack's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2019
    Location : NE Ohio
    Posts : 18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I shoot my VP9 better and more accurately than any other gun I own. I don't own any Glocks. Mostly Springfields & Beretta's.

    Maybe just an off day. I have days I cant hit anything.
    Kjax1911 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    HKPRO Professional
    Ryan...'s Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Location : Wisconsin
    Posts : 46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuntherRommel View Post
    Send it back and get a USP, Kidding. Sorry to hear that. Maybe try from a bench rest and see if you are getting the same results. Could just be new gun jitters or a bad lockup on the barrel?
    Bench rest is a good idea. I took it apart before and after, everything looks fine, nothing feels loose, etc..
    I didn't really suspect an issue with the gun though, it's got to be something I'm doing wrong/differently..

    Quote Originally Posted by JeepJack View Post
    I shoot my VP9 better and more accurately than any other gun I own. I don't own any Glocks. Mostly Springfields & Beretta's.

    Maybe just an off day. I have days I cant hit anything.
    I hope it's just an off day! I should have brought my Glock too so I could compare.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Easy-E the O.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2018
    Location : Aurora Ohio
    Posts : 21
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Think of your shooting procedure like a golf swing or hitting a baseball or bowling a strike. If your shots start to fly, set gun down, back up and then reset everything... stance, grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze ..etc. this way you may be able to catch that small error your making instead of trying to over correct the wrong thing. If you get a flyer in different areas it's usually that . If the fliers are in one specific area, then use the common handgun errors chart. Keep target close until you figure out what your doing wrong mechanically, moving it in and out only makes solving the problem harder. Hope this helps-E
    FergusandCo, Kjax1911 and Ryan... like this.

  7. #6
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Kjax1911's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Location : PA
    Posts : 33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy-E the O.G. View Post
    Think of your shooting procedure like a golf swing or hitting a baseball or bowling a strike. If your shots start to fly, set gun down, back up and then reset everything... stance, grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze ..etc... -E
    Excellent advise!
    HK45 tac
    USP45 tac
    USP9 tac
    USP9c
    USP40c
    USP45c
    VP9le x 2
    VP9 Long Slide
    P30L 9 v3
    P30L .40 v3

  8. #7
    HKPRO Professional
    Ryan...'s Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Location : Wisconsin
    Posts : 46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy-E the O.G. View Post
    Think of your shooting procedure like a golf swing or hitting a baseball or bowling a strike. If your shots start to fly, set gun down, back up and then reset everything... stance, grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze ..etc. this way you may be able to catch that small error your making instead of trying to over correct the wrong thing. If you get a flyer in different areas it's usually that . If the fliers are in one specific area, then use the common handgun errors chart. Keep target close until you figure out what your doing wrong mechanically, moving it in and out only makes solving the problem harder. Hope this helps-E
    That is excellent advise, thanks!

    I'll regroup and head back to the range on Monday :)

  9. #8
    AGG
    AGG is offline
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    AGG's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2007
    Location : Alabama
    Posts : 28,754
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
    That is excellent advise, thanks!

    I'll regroup and head back to the range on Monday :)
    You have "Glock"-oma--- just funnin' ya!!!
    What sight picture are you using (?)--- read here:

    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...-shooting.html

    Tony
    bastardsonofelvis likes this.

  10. #9
    HKPRO Professional
    Ryan...'s Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2019
    Location : Wisconsin
    Posts : 46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    You have "Glock"-oma--- just funnin' ya!!!
    What sight picture are you using (?)--- read here:

    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...-shooting.html

    Tony
    I think you may have solved a large part of my issue! I was going with #2 in that diagram for most of my shooting..

    That, combined with the advice above of simply walking away and resetting should solve my issues :)

  11. #10
    AGG
    AGG is offline
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    AGG's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2007
    Location : Alabama
    Posts : 28,754
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
    I think you may have solved a large part of my issue! I was going with #2 in that diagram for most of my shooting..

    That, combined with the advice above of simply walking away and resetting should solve my issues :)
    Keep us updated--- and practice is the best of all instructors!!!

    Tony
    Ryan... likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •