Putting OTB and Maritime coatings to the test
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Putting OTB and Maritime coatings to the test

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Default Putting OTB and Maritime coatings to the test

So I just finished an unconventional shooting position course called fight to your feet. All drills started on the ground.

All drills were 2 to the chest, 1 to the head.

1) 1st drill was supine feet towards target, shooting between feet while remaining supine.

2) 2nd drill started supine with head towards target firing from strong side. Nothing like shooting semi upside down to start the day.

3) 3rd drill started in right fetal position. 1st mag of nine was done from strong side, second and third mag were done from weak side.

4) 4th drill was same as 2nd but from left fetal position.

5) 5th drill was transitioning from fetal to kneeling to standing firing three rounds (2,1) in each position before transitioning.

6) 6th drill a combo of 2-5.

It was a great refresher for me as I’ve done a lot of these drills with @Marine0303 . The supine positions were new.

The real test though was the weather. It was down pouring the entire time; wet and muddy. The range was essentially a running river. So my 556/416 10.4” performed beautifully as did my Elcan SpectreDR 1-4. There were times I could not see through my glass on weak side/non-dominant eye. But with both eyes open, as long as I could glimpse the red chevron no matter where in sight picture, it transposed to my dominant eye and I was able to land my shots where they were supposed to go.

So the test to the rifle will be how well it takes being soaked and drying. I’d say I’m really putting the Maritime coatings to the test. I’m not going to dry out one of the mags as I want to see how it does on it’s own. It will be one of the polymer mags as I just want to test the mag spring. I’ll report back later.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 10-28-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice! Sounds like a lot of fun, did you have a pistol strapped on your side also? Because sounds like it would've got the same punishment as your rifle so wondering how it held up.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL903TX View Post
    Nice! Sounds like a lot of fun, did you have a pistol strapped on your side also? Because sounds like it would've got the same punishment as your rifle so wondering how it held up.
    No, no rifle to pistol transitions this time around. So I’m only drying out one firearm and myself, thank goodness.

And it was a ball; as the retired service members who were with us said, “if it ain’t rainin’, it ain’t trainin”.

I’d do this every day or every weekend if I could. I’m just glad my firearms club is starting this kind of training. And we have access to government range where we can do what you can’t do at most ranges as several of our members and trainers are retired government firearms instructors.

Marine0303’s instruction was/is much more in-depth and as a result more fun. But today got pretty close to that.

This is the kind of training I love.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 10-27-2019 at 06:41 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome, wish I lived where you live, I would join that club in a heartbeat haha, because paying for training like that cost a lot of money!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL903TX View Post
    Awesome, wish I lived where you live, I would join that club in a heartbeat haha, because paying for training like that cost a lot of money!
    Cost was $150, 4 hours yesterday in class room practicing and 5 hours shooting in the rain and mud today.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    Cost was $150, 4 hours yesterday in class room practicing and 5 hours shooting in the rain and mud today.
    Sounds like my back yard today. Bring some blanks and only $50 to practice zombie golfer hunting.
    RegularGuy461969 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$150 is not bad for that many hours of training.
    RegularGuy461969 likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Thanks for the excellent report--- sounds challenging!!!

Tony

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

It’s been a week and no sign of rust. The coating on the springs seems to be doing it’s job. Next time I’ll have to do the drills in the ocean waves at the beach and really put this thing through it’s paces...

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Nice! Given where I live where my neighbors despise the 2nd amendment, the closest thing to doing this type of training is watching a video and doing dry-fire drills in my backyard (while it's raining of course).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links