Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Nifty
  • 1 Post By AL903TX
  • 2 Post By Nifty

Thread: Mark23 + KAC Suppressor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mark23 + KAC Suppressor

My stamp for a KAC suppressor came back in less that 100 days. The range that had possession loaned it to me once.

I took it out this weekend, and then out again yesterday and put 150 rounds through it. The first 12 shots, from 15 yards is here....

Mark23 + KAC Suppressor-20191103_163129.jpg

A couple of strays but those are my fault. I popped off the entire mag pretty quick. I should have taken another pic because after a few more mags I didn't know if it was even hitting the target. The "center" of the target was nearly gone. Next time I'll go out to 25 yards.

With the suppressor, no issue with the POA/POI. The zero doesn't seem to change either. The sight line with the suppressor is not impeded at all. At 15 yards I'm not precise enough to repeat each shot exactly the same each time, but this makes it easier to get close to doing that. If I took too much time trying to steady and aim there's more drift with this than any other pistol I have. The combination is near 17 inches long and with a loaded mag weighs something like 3.75 lbs. (I don't have a light or laser.) There is very little recoil.

I started out wet. I swear it is slightly quieter now than when it was new. And then after a while, as some have described here, I turned around and went to reload and another range member was standing back there watching. He came up and had all kinds of questions and was floored when I told him this was a 45.

I've had the Mark23 for a year. That's fun to shoot in it's own right but the suppressor "makes the gun" IMO. If you have an opportunity to acquire this setup, I recommend it. It's entertaining and fun to shoot. Almost easy but you will see your mistakes. I think in time it would make someone a better shooter. And after a dozen mags or whatever, when you go back to your EDC, or any other pistol, you'd swear you're holding a small toy or something.

After a range session, the suppressor's piston becomes quite black. The manual said clean every 500 rounds or something but I'll be doing that more frequently. I'm OCD about it and its more therapeutic than anything. I'm not certain how to get down in the baffles yet, or if I need to even worry. I'm sure there is info somewhere. I didn't read the entire manual word for word. I did work a few patches through it just to see if they picked up anything and how bad it was, but they came out clean. I did notice parts of the pistol were dirtier than normal.
    Last edited by Nifty; 11-18-2019 at 01:17 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I probably shoot my .22 pistol suppressed the most, but this combo is still the most pleasing to shoot in my opinion. You don't need to really clean anything but the piston itself, but I just shoot a mag or two through it to clean out the suppressor after shooting it wet.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)

Thanks for the report!!!
    Hope you were wearing your spray goggles.

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Awesome, thanks for the report sounds like a lot of fun, and makes me really want a suppressor for my mark 23.
    JasperGTR likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 25 yards

Went back today. There wasn't a 15 yard slot free, so I got a 25 yard bay. Holy smokes.

I thought this was interesting. Most of my misses were at 12 - 3 o'clock.

Mark23 + KAC Suppressor-20191117_155719.jpgMark23 + KAC Suppressor-20191117_153829.jpg
    Last edited by Nifty; 11-18-2019 at 01:14 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    Went back today. There wasn't a 15 yard slot free, so I got a 25 yard bay. Holy smokes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_155719.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	245842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_153829.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	5.09 MB 
ID:	245844
    Wow not bad at all, good shooting man! Maybe just bad sight alignment on your end with the misses every now and then? Because obviously you can shoot very good from all the center shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I rotate through different stances. The weaver one I'm most consistent with. For the life of me I can't get comfortable with the isosceles stance. I also shoot from one knee. I always take a few shoots with one hand and then off hand. I downloaded a chart somewhere that points out the common causes for misses based on the location, but I can't find it right now.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_155719.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	245842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_153829.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	5.09 MB 
ID:	245844
    Nice placement--- the flyers must have been consecutive, follow-up shots!!!

Tony

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Nice stuff and as Tony says.....hope you're wearing a DARK colored shirt when you shoot wet! I find it to be a real joy and yes, it is WAY quieter than expected. I liken it to a wet fart.

You DO know that the can, can be "indexed" right? You seem to be shooting fine, but depending upon ammo brand, grain, Hollow Point, etc. you could conceivably unscrew the threaded piston 'lock ring' and rotate the piston in the crown/castle of the welded body. Use the flat spot in the threaded piston and the long hash mark on the outer body to get consistent results after re-assembly and NICE SHOOTING!

As for baffles? I haven't had the guts to put the WHOLE thing in my sonic cleaner for fear of messing out the coating, but I pour some #9 in there laying on its side, then rotate every 20 minutes or so maybe 4 times N,S,E,West and pour it out in a vain attempt to break up the carbon, then blow it out with air.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THRLSEKR View Post
    Nice stuff and as Tony says.....hope you're wearing a DARK colored shirt when you shoot wet! I find it to be a real joy and yes, it is WAY quieter than expected. I liken it to a wet fart.

You DO know that the can, can be "indexed" right? You seem to be shooting fine, but depending upon ammo brand, grain, Hollow Point, etc. you could conceivably unscrew the threaded piston 'lock ring' and rotate the piston in the crown/castle of the welded body. Use the flat spot in the threaded piston and the long hash mark on the outer body to get consistent results after re-assembly and NICE SHOOTING!

As for baffles? I haven't had the guts to put the WHOLE thing in my sonic cleaner for fear of messing out the coating, but I pour some #9 in there laying on its side, then rotate every 20 minutes or so maybe 4 times N,S,E,West and pour it out in a vain attempt to break up the carbon, then blow it out with air.

Mike
    I read something about the adjustment. Next time out I will tinker with it.

I cleaned the thing last night. I did notice the blue O-ring isn't there, or I can't tell and it's just black now and I just can't see it. Do you know if its recessed down in there?

And no, I had a light colored sweatshirt on. I just noticed the "splatter" yesterday morning.
    THRLSEKR and JasperGTR like this.

Sponsored Links