New SP5 break in trip - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New SP5 break in trip

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I freaking love mine! It is a laser beam. I have shot a couple hundred rounds through it (both suppressed and not). It hasn’t had a single issue. I look at mine as the best money I have spent in years. Thanks OP for the range review!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDeltaJuliet View Post
    I freaking love mine! It is a laser beam. I have shot a couple hundred rounds through it (both suppressed and not). It hasn’t had a single issue. I look at mine as the best money I have spent in years. Thanks OP for the range review!
    I get my SP5 tomorrow after work!! Super excited to pick it up. I've seen picture after picture of these on threads and can't wait to have it in my hands...lol, let alone to take it to the range. Won't have time for range after pickup so Friday will be another exciting moment since I'm off. It's exciting to hear everyone's feedback when they talk about their experience with it for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanishcop View Post
    Hello All,

Rather than starting a new post, I figured I'd jump in here and inquire.

So I have an SP5 on its way to my FFL and should be ready for pickup in 2 days. I'd like to ask those that have HK MP5 / SP5 if there is a rule of thumb as to what AMMO to run through it during the break-in procedure?
    I've been told to run about 500 rounds through it and I'm hearing mixed ideas as to some people saying run 147gr and others to run 124gr, and some saying subsonic others the contrary.

Is there a proper procedure recommended by HK?

As of right now, I have a Thousand Rounds of:
    CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger Ammo 124 Grain FMJ
    Federal American Eagle 9mm Luger Ammo 147 Grain FMJ
    PMC Bronze Handgun Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ 1160 fps

Any of these recommended over the other to do the first 500 rounds breakin (assuming 500 is the approximate count)?

Is there a recommended procedure as to how many rounds to shoot before cleaning and running remainder of the rounds? I ask as I've seen comments of people saying run a 1x 30round mag then strip clean lub and then run 2x mags and so forth.
    I'd really like to hear your thoughts. I just want to do it the right way or what is best recommended.

Thank you in advance, I'm super excited to have this baby in my hands.

Best Regards,
    Michael
    MY sp5 needed no break in. it runs every bullet weight of ammo that i feed it perfectly
    Last edited by jamesgs4; 01-04-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    Spanishcop likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I purchased a 1000 rounds of S&B 124NATO ammo that I've heard is one of the best rounds to run through the mp5 and runs pretty clean. Recommended by quite a few people for the the first 500 rounds. Although I've heard many people saying it will eat anything, it was recommended to start with this ammo for the first 500 rounds and then run what ever you wish.

Hoping to get on the range this coming week.

Added a SBT5A brace Friday and removed the castle diopter and switched it for the original german made mp5 diopter. I was not a fan of the castle version.

Much, much better now.

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

There should be no break in period.
    You think the SEAL's or an LE agency says we need to go break in our guns before we bank our lives on them...NO.
    I would not run 147g.
    Designed for 124g NATO spec.
    MM
    hkshooterusp likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hk21man View Post
    You think the SEAL's or an LE agency says we need to go break in our guns before we bank our lives on them...NO.
    I would not run 147g.
    MM
    I agree with this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All SP5 owner know the rush they get from shooting it. I get it OP. I do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hk21man View Post
    I would not run 147g.
    MM
    I was just inquiring but Thanks for the input. I am keeping in mind that this is a civilian version and not spoken as an LE or Seals Team. Not that they couldn't use it, but that's why I asked.

None the less I ran 500 rounds of 124 nato and worked flawless as expected. I enjoyed practicing and learning how it shoots during those 500 rounds so it wasn't a waste of time or ammo.

I didn't do anything different with it other than run a snake bore cleaner after each mag.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought the SP5s used the same internal parts as the French Police model that was had a 40,000 round torture test with +P ammo (per YouTube video by Derek G on HK Shooting team). Seems like that could handle any variety of ammo.

147 grains are typically what I shoot for subsonic rounds/suppressed. What is the issue with shooting that weight bullet other than a POI shift?

Just curious......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Use good mags (HK for me) and good ammo and I would anticipate zero problems from the start. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links