Range Test - Short Video
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Range Test - Short Video

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Range Test - Short Video

I did a short 3min video just to try things out after sighting it in. I'm super happy with how it performed. Given this was my first range day with my SP5 and with practice it should improve but not sure how much better it can get. I'm using Sellier & Bellot 124 grain NATO. The sight is a Shield SIS red dot with 4 style in 1moa single dot and ring dot and 3moa single dot and ring dot. Also purchased Shield Low profile SIS mp5 mount which gives me absolute cowitness. Using an SBT5A brace until I get Stamp. Switched out iron for Diopter sight in rear.

https://youtu.be/Zbc6mKeaFy4

I kept saying MP5 instead of SP5, lol oh well.

I installed after the range a B&T tri-rail and placed a inforce light on bottom rail for now.

So happy I got this thing. Thanks HK for a wonderful weapon.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spanishcop; 01-17-2020 at 02:17 AM.
    fatmat27, dushan and TiroFijo like this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Your camera skills are terrible, but your shooting makes up for it! lol. How do you like the optic? If I remember, the SIS is the only other micro reflex in a closed system. Good to see some optics with dedicated roller-delayed mounts.
    Spanishcop likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatmat27 View Post
    Your camera skills are terrible, but your shooting makes up for it! lol. How do you like the optic? If I remember, the SIS is the only other micro reflex in a closed system. Good to see some optics with dedicated roller-delayed mounts.
    Yeah I was using my iPhone but did not bring a tripod to hold it. So I was managing to try and lean it on the shooting table. So yes, my apologies for video setup.

As for the shooting, the SP5 is wonderful. I'm a decent shot, but it definitely helps when you have a well made weapon.

Thanks
    Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

damn i cant even see that well, much less shoot that well
    Spanishcop and gt40doc like this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

Nice CQB and setup--- and placement!!!

Tony
    Spanishcop likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Range Test - Short Video

To answer your question about how I like my optic.

GOOD:

So I really like the absolute co-witness setup. I like my red dot to be as low as possible. The closer to the barrel the tighter the groupings are as you move forward or backwards in distance. I Have my Shield SIS red dot set at 25 yards. When I move up to the 15 yards there is much of a difference in shot placement. Shield has a low profile mount for the SIS that places it very close to barrel height. I'm using the 1moa single dot which is on the top edge of my front iron sight. The SIS has a lot of room for brightness settings. I personally use the auto mode which depending on the lighting it will adjust the red dot to the proper brightness being sunny day or low light. Sight picture isn't any different than using iron sights in my opinion.

BAD:
    The buttons on the left are horrible to use. The buttons have rubber over them and very close together. So sometimes trying to get the up button hits the bottom also and that triggers a different setting. So if your not using auto mode and your trying to setup brightness, you end up hitting both buttons and then that causes sight to go into a flashing mode to switch reticles to choose 1moa dog, 1 moa dot with ring dot around it, 3moa dot, 3moa dot with ring around it. Also switching between the auto brightness and manual is a pain in the ass as it is a very similar setting and directions are confusing.

SOOOOO......

If you want absolute co-witness, the Shield SIS sight is great. Leave the setting on auto-adjust for lighting and don't mess with the buttons. Performance wise, I shoot great with it, although I think most of that is because the weapon is accurate and I'm a decent shot. Don't use the center dot with clock ring. It makes the sight way to busy for acquiring target. Only use this option if your red dot is mounted higher non-co-witness as mentioned below. If you tried to use the 6 o'clock dot on absolute co-witness the entire front iron sight would be covering your target..... it just really doesn't work trust me. Keep in mind absolute co-witness... you are still having to look through your rear diopter hole and using the red dot laser. So target acquisition is much slower than if the red dot was mounted higher where you don't need to use the diopter.

The Shield SIS also includes risers that install on each side of the mount creating a tunnel or opening under the sight and you can use your irons. Longer screws are also included for that option. The advantage of the Shield SIS mounted higher is that now you can use the center 1moa dot with the clock dot ring as I call it. Now say you have sights set at 25-35 yards. You move up to the 10 yard line. If you were to use your center 1 moa dot.... you'd be shooting lower. Now.... use the 6 o'clock dot on the ring... that brings your shot up (raises barrel) and your still on target. Hope that makes since to those reading that are unfamiliar with it. Those who have experience shooting understand what I'm saying.

I have a PTR-9CT that is using the Scarlar 147 mount with my T1 and I like that setup as well, but again... your creating distance between the barrel and your red dot sight but your also increasing speed in target acquisition since your not having to use the diopter with your red dot.

I've tried various tactical shooting scenarios and for me the Shield SIS with absolute co-witness mount worked great. I like my red dot sight closes to the barrel. I'm very happy with it. Now as for durability, time will only tell on that. I know Aimpoint is incredible and very durable and there are mounts available for like the T-1 and T-2 micros that can do either Absolute co-witness or non-co-witness. So either setup is great.

Mike
    Last edited by Spanishcop; 01-17-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice breakdown of the Shield SIS Spanishcop.
    I am looking to add a red dot and finding a lot of new options.
    Spanishcop likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Diopter is the way to go if it's your primary but since you're using the SIS as your primary optic, the castle drum sight may serve you better. It would certainly clean up the sight picture.
    Spanishcop likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Diopter is the way to go if it's your primary but since you're using the SIS as your primary optic, the castle drum sight may serve you better. It would certainly clean up the sight picture.
    Glad you bring this up about the castle drum. I have some Astigmatism. So using the diopter actually makes the red almost perfectly round.

Those of you who have Astigmatism if you have a red dot and uou see a star burst and not a dot using a peephole like on the AR rear sight or the diopter on the mp5 does help quite a bit. correcting these issue. At least in my case.

But your right if you don't have Astigmatism, the castle drum may be a better option with the SIS in absolute co-witness.

Mike

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nice gun!
    Spanishcop likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links