Brief test of two ETS and KCI Mags Today
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Brief test of two ETS and KCI Mags Today

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Brief test of two ETS and KCI Mags Today

For what it's worth, I put 120 rounds through my SP5K today, using a brand new ETS 30 rounder and a brand new 2nd generation KCI 30 rounder. All 120 rounds functioned perfectly through both mags; here was the sequence:

ETS, 10 rounds Sellier & Beloit 115 grain, flawless
    KCI, 10 rounds Sellier & Beloit 115 grain, flawless
    ETS, 30 rounds Sellier & Beloit 115 grain, flawless
    KCI, 30 rounds Remington 115 grain, flawless
    ETS, 20 rounds Remington 115 grain, flawless
    KCI, 20 rounds Remington 115 grain, flawless

Thus, in this brief test they're comparable in terms of function, and I'd be happy using either at the range. However, the ETS gets "fat" when loaded and takes some effort to seat AND to remove. The KCI seats and removes just like my German HK mags do.

I suppose they both get equally dirty, but at the end of the day the ETS is highly prone to looking dirty and worn out...but hopefully for ETS that is just a cosmetic issue; the upside of that is that you can actually see the rounds in the mag of an ETS, for what it's worth.
    dushan and Tangotag like this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

Thanks for the review!!!

Tony
    Gilly19 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Out of my 4 new KCI-USA mags 2 have/had oversized feed lips that the bolt can be retained within the empty magazine and retained held upside down.
    Purchased from Atlantic Firearms (2) 2 packs over the last month.

I've already sent one mag back to KCI for repair/replacement earlier this week. Got the other 2 mags yesterday and will need to send yet another mag back to KCI.
    Is it so hard to check mags before shipping so that the dimensions of a bolt should be able to pass through without being stuck?

My 4 new ETS mags, new and old HK, old POF and old MKE mags are not able to retain a bolt between the feed lips held upside down.
    I will post pics later today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is what the new KCI USA tight feed lips is looking like. I'll be contacting them on Monday to send in a now second mag out of 4 of the Gen2 mags.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brief test of two ETS and KCI Mags Today-img_6429_1580518046715.jpg   Brief test of two ETS and KCI Mags Today-img_6426_1580518062070.jpg   Brief test of two ETS and KCI Mags Today-img_6427_1580518075753.jpg   Brief test of two ETS and KCI Mags Today-img_6428_1580518095474.jpg  
    Last edited by Tangotag; 01-31-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That stinks Tangotag ! I think KCI have the best intentions in the US, but they get what they get when they are imported from South Korea. They should have a better QC inspection upon del to them here in the US before they ship them out. Not hard to have tooling to check things like bent feed lips etc. It costs extra to do this but I bet many folks would be willing to pay a bit more to ensure they work! Like a unit of lumber you have a certain amount of downfall from that unit , you make your adjustment and pass it along and everyone is happy .

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangotag View Post
    Out of my 4 new KCI-USA mags 2 have/had oversized feed lips that the bolt can be retained within the empty magazine and retained held upside down.

I've already sent one mag back to KCI for repair/replacement earlier this week. Got the other 2 mags yesterday and will need to send yet another mag back to KCI.
    Is it so hard to check mags before shipping so that the dimensions of a bolt should be able to pass through without being stuck?

My 4 new ETS mags, new and old HK, old POF and old MKE mags are not able to retain a bolt between the feed lips held upside down.
    This is what the new KCI USA tight feed lips is looking like. I'll be contacting them on Monday to send in a now second mag out of 4 of the Gen2 mags.
    You failed to mention whether this causes a malfunction.

Why don't you just take a file to the feed lips? Is two minutes of work worth more than the cost and hassle of shipping them back?
    Tangotag, login_local and gt40doc like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Maim View Post
    You failed to mention whether this causes a malfunction.

Why don't you just take a file to the feed lips? Is two minutes of work worth more than the cost and hassle of shipping them back?
    Sorry it prevents rounds from reaching the chamber. Even if inserting an empty magazine into the gun with the bolt back. Hitting the slide release, the bolt will not close all the way to the barrel face getting held up within the feed lips of the magazine. Removing the magazine will allow the bolt to finish on to the barrel.
    Yes it would only be a few minutes of filing. But, for $35'ish ea and "2nd Generation" product I had hoped to not have to start filing away on brand new magazines. KCI USA was very responsive and sent a shipping label for my first mag earlier this week so it should be in their hands already of soon for "repair or replacement". I'm a little disappointed than I got a second magazine with the same problem. I suspect I just happened to fall into a bad batch of mags to get released out for distribution.
    I'll be headed out to the range in a few hours with both my PTRs 2 week old CT and virgin KT with all the other mags and more ammo.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Sorry it prevents rounds from reaching the chamber. Even if inserting an empty magazine into the gun with the bolt back. Hitting the slide release, the bolt will not close all the way to the barrel face getting held up within the feed lips of the magazine. Removing the magazine will allow the bolt to finish on to the barrel.
    Ah, thanks for the clarification.

That is a PTR bolt? Do you have a caliper to measure the width of the bottom of the bolt head by any chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got 4 KCI mags when I ordered my POF from Atlantic.
    Two had feed issues on the first couple of rounds.
    The feed lips were rough enough that the rounds seemed to be snagging.
    Broke them down and worked them over with a file and a Dremel with a buffing wheel.
    Haven’t been back to the range yet to see if that worked.

The mags seem solid and well made.
    It would be nice if we had a reliable mag option that didn’t cost $70.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What type of gun are you using with these mags?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links