Range Report: SP5K with Buffer Tube Stabilizer

Thread: Range Report: SP5K with Buffer Tube Stabilizer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Range Report: SP5K with Buffer Tube Stabilizer

Went to the range yesterday – the last afternoon of “freedom” before the Alabama shelter-in-place order took effect. It’s a private range, so it was just me and my adult son. We were shooting steel plates, and had a can of white spray paint to refresh them when needed.

For BERETTA fans, I ran two guns. First, 150 rounds through my M9 22LR – same size and feel as a 92, but lighter and more fun (and cheaper!). This thing has almost no recoil and is so easy to shoot accurately. I added standard 92 wood grips to mine. The other Beretta I ran was my 84FS Cheetah in nickel…it’s such a comfortable 380, and so accurate. To me, the nickel Cheetah is among the “prettiest” guns in Beretta’s lineup. However, after a few mags the fouling really shows and it’s really hard to get the nickel finish clean…I guess that’s why I rarely shoot it.

For WALTHER fans, this afternoon was a test of some new high-tech defensive ammo in my Interarms stainless PPK/S. I’ve proven in previous range visits (at least to my satisfaction) that 105gr Golden Sabre is reliable in my PPK/S, but I wanted to see if the Inceptor 56gr ARX (fluted polymer) rounds and the Underwood/Lehigh 65gr Xtreme Defender (1400 fps) and 90gr Underwood/Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator (1200 fps) would function reliably in my PPK/S. This stuff is NOT cheap, so it was an expensive test. I’m sad to report that NONE of those three (ARX and the two Underwood/Lehigh) functioned reliably. The ARX rounds work perfectly in my Glock 42, so they’ll have to stay there. I may end up testing the Underwood in the Glock later. My final note is that the superhot 1400 fps Underwood was VERY uncomfortable to shoot.

For the SIG fans, my son exercised his West German P226 (which he shoots exceptionally well), along with his Sig MPX-K (the really short one) with the collapsible brace. It’s staggering how accurate that thing is at a distance with that little barrel. And it’s such a good-looking piece of equipment, too.

Finally, for the H&K fans there were three items to exercise. I let my son shoot the USP 9mm compact and VP9 (midnight bronze), and he preferred the USP (he’s a Sig fan and prefers the feel of hammer-fired pistols). I love both of them, although I don’t shoot the VP9 as well…I’d rather admire it than shoot it, actually. My last item to test was a function-test of my SP5K, but with a bare buffer tube installed in place of the normal folding brace. I did this only to prepare for the day when (not “if” in my opinion) braces become regulated. As expected, it performed flawlessly with a cheek weld through two standard mags and my first run of a new 2nd generation KCI 20-round mag.

Hope y’all can get to your local range soon. We'll all get through this one way or the other.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

Thanks for the report--- hey--- you did not call me!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If not for the social distancing......I'll give you a rain check.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly19 View Post
    If not for the social distancing......I'll give you a rain check.
    6 feet rule--- or I could have worn my HAZMAT suit!!!

Tony

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for the report, got to love the private range!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for report

Sponsored Links