HKPRO Forums banner

My First Range Report Today w/ HK P30SK (SA/DA, V3 w/Safety)

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  HelioUSP 
#1 ·
I just bought a V3 (DA/SA) w/ safety HK P30SK (CA date code) this week and took it to the range today.

I was not really great with it at all. I rented a VP9 SK last weekend to ensure the smaller grip (the 10-round mag had the pinky extension) would work for me and I shot great with it after a so-so first magazine. But with the P30SK I really wasn't on target today. I did notice that when I used the flush magazine I might as well been aiming at a barn door as I just could not get a great grip it. When I used the pinky extension magazine (my LE model came with three mags total and night sights) I was much better and had decent groupings.

I wasn't great like I was with the VP9 SK rental last week. With regards to the flush magazine I will never use that one again (will get the pinky extension to add to that magazine).

What's wrong with me? LOL. Every one raves about this P30SK! I come from 12 years of only owning and firing USPs (both compacted full size) and Mark 23 so this is my first time owning a sub "k"ompact.

I do have on order (should get sometime this week) the P30SK 15-round magazine so that ought to be interesting to use on this next time at the range.

Thanks for listening (well reading).

See less See more
#2 ·
Probably just a change in platform quirk....

If I can work it out anyone can!

I was in the Army when we changed from 1911's to Beretta....I could shoot the eyes out of the targets with the 1911....it took me a while to master the beretta....and I still to this day prefer the 1911.......

#4 ·
I am dead on accurate with the 1911 my fiancé has. I shall try another break-in with the P30SK next range day. I will start with the Mark 23 and that will make things easier after that!

Thanks for the report--- trade it for a USPc!!! :wink:

Tony
I have a USPc 9mm and 2 USPc .45 ACP's! Love them. When they release a batch (hopefully next year) with the stainless steel slide...one of those shall be mine too!

#6 ·
Makes sense. I was warned to try out the LEM trigger version of it, but Austin, TX is not really kind to the HK crowd with anywhere to try that out. I didn't think it would be that vastly different Han the VP9SK I shot the week before, but I guess I was wrong there. My fiancé brought here new Sig Legion P220 .45 and holy heck was that thing smooth!

#8 ·
Thanks! I appreciate it! I only ran 100 rounds through it today...50 124 grain and 50 115 grain, but no way am I giving up on it. May have just been a bad day :) It's all clean, lubed and ready for it's next day on the range! Do you use the pinky extender mag or what's your mag of choice for your grip on this? I am so used to the USPs that never had this problem before. I am interested to see how I do with the 15 round P30SK mag I have coming for it. Was just going to use that as a spare when carrying, but definitely eager to see how that grips on the range.

#9 ·
I've shot a lot of sub compact that I couldn't get my pinky on and it's never really affected me......I don't really shoot my VP9SK any better with the pinky extension vs the flush plate or the 15 round mags that I bought for it from midwest guns......that's just me.....even with my G29 glock in 10mm the pinky hangs off with a flush mag and I can shoot it better than my G20 full size

#13 ·
The extended mags 13 and 15 with rock on this gun and I agree, but I still shoot horrible with it. I don't know what it is. The trigger travel feels like forever on this guy. I do want to try a 13 rounder as you're right it should be perfect. It's just so hard knowing thee's a 15-rounder too. LOL

#14 ·
I do 90 percent of my shooting with the flat base since that's mainly what I carry. I too have a couple of 13rd magazines. While they help control recoil better, I don't shoot any better groups with them. I also have the large sideplates on. Not only do they give a little more to hold onto, they make a nice ledge to help control recoil. Use the backstrap for SML hand size. Remember, short sight radius firearms are very unforgiving. The slightest "off" whether sights, trigger or grip is magnified way more than on full sized guns. My advice, leave the Mk23 at home the next several range trips, shorten the range to target and concentrate on getting better with the P30sk. I obviously can't speak to yours, but mine will drop bullet after bullet into the same hole when I do my part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.