HKPRO Forums banner

PTR 101 GIR first range trip!

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Wynn 
#1 ·
Range report got a little delayed from when I shot it last week, here it goes:

As soon as I got my PTR 101 GIR from my FFL, I purchased a box of PMC 147 grain FMJ to test fire. I read through the user manual and followed PTR's recommended instructions for the first 20 rounds. The first 10 single shots went fine. The next 10 rounds I had 2 failures to extract. I'm not worried about those 2 failures since this was a brand new rifle from PTR and it is noted some failures are expected within the first 200-300 rounds.

The recoil was nowhere near what I was expecting after reading some horror stories about the .308 PTR 91s. Perhaps its because I am use to shooting 30 caliber bolt guns? :biggrin: Anyways, first impressions are great and I can't wait for my ammo to arrive so I can go to the range to properly break it in!

#4 ·
Welcome,
I agree the recoil horror stories are overblown. The recoil spring and the mass of the bolt eats up a lot of the force compared to a lightweight hunting bolt action where the action is fixed.

Keep us informed how the rifle breaks in. I've got the same model myself, mine has not had any failures during firing. I have found the action is very stiff drawing the bolt back from fully closed and hammer dropped on an empty chamber. It does seem to be getting better as I get more rounds through the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.