Lothar Walther G3/91 Barrels by RCM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lothar Walther G3/91 Barrels by RCM

Banned

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Lothar Walther G3/91 Barrels by RCM

Just a heads up to anyone interested in probably the finest blank available to machine on. We bought a small quantity of Lothar Walther 7.62 blanks. 416R Stainless Steel 1:10 twist. We will be profiling and chambering them just like our current barrels we offer. Not sure about Nitride yet. Anyhow the finished price on these will be 260.00 shipped. You can be put on a list if you are interested by emailing me at [email protected] No deposits will be needed.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Say Mike, why wouldn't you go for a heavier profile with these blanks? I have a couple of PTR .308 receivers tucked away. I thought of a PSG-1A1 or MSG90A1 type of build with one of the receivers. Why wouldn't you Nitride the barrels? Doesn't that process bring the carbon to the surface and make the bore more resistant to wear? What would be the downside of the Nitride process?

Scott

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    Say Mike, why wouldn't you go for a heavier profile with these blanks? I have a couple of PTR .308 receivers tucked away. I thought of a PSG-1A1 or MSG90A1 type of build with one of the receivers. Why wouldn't you Nitride the barrels? Doesn't that process bring the carbon to the surface and make the bore more resistant to wear? What would be the downside of the Nitride process?

Scott
    Given the difference in steel composition the nitride benefit is less with SS than CrMo steel

Less

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be interested in a g3k profile if you will offer it.
    Recreational HK Collector

Banned

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I didn't say we were using all the blanks for the G3's.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MOAxp View Post
    Given the difference in steel composition the nitride benefit is less with SS than CrMo steel

Less
    Thank you Less. It is my understanding that 416R has less carbon to come to the surface than carbon steel so, I would guess the surface would not become as hard with a SS barrel than a carbon steel/CHF barrel. If the Nitride process would double the cost that would make sense. It is also my understanding that the Nitride process only adds a minimal expense to the cost of producing the barrel. Since the cost of changing a worn barrel would be so high, I would think any minimal additional cost would be worth while even if it only added an extra 1,000 rds of life to the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by dbj2003 View Post
    I'd be interested in a g3k profile if you will offer it.
    I mean no offense, I'm just wondering if I have missed something. It is my understanding that the Lothar Walther 7.62 blanks made from 416R Stainless Steel would tend to make a little more accurate barrel. That small difference would tend to show itself more when shooting for distance. It is also my understanding that the G3K with a 12.69" barrel is more of a CQB type of firearm. The RCM G3K barrel https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/G3K-...-69-9p1499.htm is made from CHF steel that has more carbon so the nitride process makes more of a difference than SS, which would tend to last longer. So if you wanted more accuracy wouldn't a longer barrel do that?

If that is what you want is a Lothar Walther SS G3, more power to you. I am not criticizing, just trying to understand that choice. Nitrided CHF barrels will resist wear but not have quite the accuracy of button rifled SS. Longer heavier barrels tend to have better accuracy than shorter barrels that can transition from target to target quicker, which makes the shorter barrels better for up close multiple targets/CQB type of firearm. So I would think that the Lothar Walther SS blank would tend to make a better long range slow fire distance type of barrel and a CHF blank would make a better short range rapid fire type of barrel. So did I miss something here or is that just your preference? If that is your preference, good for you. I mean no disrespect. I'm just asking to understand that choice better, in case I missed something.

Scott

jfk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

An RCM PSG1 barrel in 6.5 Creedmor with a 1X8 twist and an RCM Creedmor locking piece. It would make the PSG a true long range gun.
    I sold my HK's and bought a whole bunch of Century C93s. The best rifles on the planet bar none. I love the C93 pistols with the 12 o' clock slot!

Banned

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    An RCM PSG1 barrel in 6.5 Creedmor with a 1X8 twist and an RCM Creedmor locking piece. It would make the PSG a true long range gun.
    A roller lock 6.5 creedmoor. We hunt with this in a bolt action rifle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Scott,
    Good questions and points taken. You know a lot more about steel than I do, so I will do some more reading.
    Thanks,
    Brandon
    Recreational HK Collector

jfk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How about a few RCM 6.5 Creedmor barrels in PSG1 configuration as well as a matching locking piece?
    I sold my HK's and bought a whole bunch of Century C93s. The best rifles on the planet bar none. I love the C93 pistols with the 12 o' clock slot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links