lack of P7 PSP holster options and dummy guns for making holsters

Thread: lack of P7 PSP holster options and dummy guns for making holsters

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default lack of P7 PSP holster options and dummy guns for making holsters

Hi folks,

After a long discussion with Ron @ Garrett Industries Holsters, it seems the issue with finding a good PSP holster is that not many holster makers have access to a PSP form gun aka dummy gun. P7M8 and P7M13 dummy guns exist, and you can use a PSP in a P7M8 holster, but the problem with using a P7M8 dummy gun is that the longer trigger guard of the M8 forces the retention screws and bushings to be too far forward for optimal retention of a PSP slide. The retention screws are bunched up near the muzzle end, causing all the retention/clamping force on the slide to be in that first 1" near the muzzle. I've tried my PSP in my Garrett Industries STX 2.0 made for my P7M8 - the fit is not very good, and I feel like it is susceptible to coming out of the holster unintentionally if I were to start running or moving a lot. The butt-heavy nature of the P7 combined with the tiny slide profile does not do it any favors when it comes to staying stable in a holster. There are other subtle differences as well around the trigger guard area of the holster that cause the PSP to fit poorly in the P7M8 holster...

So anyway, Ron agreed to try and make an actual PSP holster by buying a P7M13 dummy gun that is still available today and modifying it for his holster making process. My end of the bargain is to take some critical measurements of my P7 PSP that he needs with my digital calipers. I also told him I would do what I could to find out if there are any P7 PSP dummy guns in existence.

So what say you, HKPro? Has anyone ever seen a P7 PSP dummy gun before? Does anyone have one they would like to donate temporarily or sell us for this cause?

In the meantime, if you own a PSP and dream of carrying it as it was intended for, be happy! There will finally be some excellent holster options available for our beloved police trade-ins!
    - CPshooter

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

I'm a big fan of R Grizzle Leather. They can make any of their OWB or IWB models for the P7, P7M8 or P7M13.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    I'm a big fan of R Grizzle Leather. They can make any of their OWB or IWB models for the P7, P7M8 or P7M13.
    Indeed, R Grizzle makes some nice leather gear. I've tried similar all-leather holsters (TT Gunleather), and one thing I noticed is they end up being significantly thicker by the time you add reinforcement at the holster mouth to keep them from collapsing and deforming. Perhaps not such a big deal for OWB options, but definitely makes a difference for IWB. Also, kydex inherently provides a better sweat barrier during the hot summer months or for extended carry. What I like about Garrett Industries holsters is that you simply get the best benefits of each material. The leather interior liner makes for a completely silent and buttery smooth draw, but the kydex shell keeps sweat from penetrating and saturating the leather while also providing structure and enabling the thin overall construction.

My favorite GI holster so far is their original Silent Thunder OWB w/ sport slide mount option, now called the OWB "Ranger" model. It's a no-nonsense OWB scabbard type that puts the gun in a perfect drawing position for enjoying time at the range, in the field, or even a training class. Not the closest to the body option, but still my favorite for when I'm just trying to enjoy shooting my guns.

I also really, really like my STX OWB for my USP .45. It brings the gun just a bit tighter against the belt line to help with concealment, while not giving up much in terms of ease of draw and overall usability compared to the good old OWB Ranger.

I recently ordered the STX 2.0 OWB for my P7M8 hoping for even greater concealment compared to the STX, but it was a big disappointment, quite honestly. It's constructed well, but the design still needs some refinement. It ends up sticking FURTHER away from the body than my STX v1 w/ USP .45! Not good... this is why I called Ron today, actually. He explained it was designed for a very specific 3:30 position on the waist, but even in that position, it does not work for me. He offered to re-work the shape of the kydex cant adjustment arm, but I told him I'll just buy a heat gun and give it a shot myself to see if I can improve how it would lay against the waist/belt line. Ron said that's all he would do anyway, and I'm not sure he's seeing the same thing I am in regards to this particular model and how I think the belt loops should be oriented to get it to sit right. I'm just going back to the STX v1 for my PSP carry needs.

Also, in case anyone is looking at a GI holster and thinking about the "Champion" cut-out option in the holster for a faster competition draw - buyer beware. It may help to get the muzzle pointing forward that much sooner if you're doing some cowboy-style shooting, but it makes re-holstering a bit sketchy at times.

Lastly, always go with the full sweat shield option! I've tried their "half shield" and "no shield" options and they offer no advantages with only disadvantages compared to the full sweat shield. The full sweat shield makes for the quickest and surest re-holstering, while offering more protection against sweat and corrosion. The OWB holsters aren't hugging the gun super tight against your body anyhow, so having the full sweat shield does not make it less comfortable or cause it to contact your side (aka love handles if you're like me!) in an obtrusive way.

Hope this feedback helps anyone looking at the GI holsters!
    Last edited by CPshooter; 02-26-2020 at 02:27 AM.
    - CPshooter

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

try Kramer leather works they have done some nice leather gear for my for both m8 and psp holsters

Sponsored Links