• 2 Post By GuntherRommel
  • 1 Post By TooSixy
  • 1 Post By kbinmt
  • 1 Post By TallPine

Thread: Possible scammer?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Possible scammer?

I posted a wtb ad looking for a 416/mr556 piston bushing. Received am email from a guy named "world spicey". In his broken english he offered to sell me one at $400. I respectfully declined stating i would be willing to pay $40. No reply from "world spicey".

Next day I receive an email from "iler man". Again in broken English he offered to sell me one of the many he has for $30 shipped which is reasonable.

What caught my attention was when I looked at the message thread from my email account both of the sellers were listed in the same thread although they send messages from different emails. Please see below:

Has anyone ever done business with or received emails from individuals with either of these names? Are these screen names members here?

Looks like a fish, smells like a fish.....

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

It's a scam for sure, I have gotten a few weird offers to sell from this site. Not sure its anyone's fault just the world we now live in. Even had messages from members that don't have enough posts to even message me. Never trust anyone without proper vetting on your part. Thanks for the heads up
    TheJerkman and Vincent04 like this.

911TT

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I got one from same jackass in response to my WTB ad as well

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe an admin can look up these email addresses and see if there is a user with those emails on file and we can expose the username they may be using for the forum?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

This is why it is not wise to publicize your email address on public forums.
    caf82313 likes this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've had similar contact from a WTB ad I had on another forum. I've also had non-forum members respond asking to purchase items I had for sale (then back out when I told them to post "I'll take it" on the forum). I used to post my email address in my WTB/WTS ads. I stopped doing it since forum members wouldn't need it anyway. They could just PM me.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Hmmmm......maybe THIS guy has a green MKE stock.

But yeah, too many scammers out there to publish an email address on an open forum.
    TheJerkman likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

@kbinmt be careful of Ilerman as well. Someone using that exact username and email answered my WTB ad on another forum for a very rare item, but only after just joining the forum and having no post count. Now he has something you are looking for here. Not saying he is bad news but it is awful suspicious imho.
    TheJerkman likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lots of this going around.

I got a PM response to my WTB ad from a brand new member named 'malo'. His traffic:

"Hello I have one up for sale,provide me with your email address,so I can give you pictures of what I have. Thanks"

I respond favorably, give him my email, and we're off to the races.

I receive emailed pics from '[email protected]' of a PRISTINE HK93A3 complete with manual and factory box, the sort of thing that belongs to a man who is a connoisseur. He's suggesting he separate the gun from the stock and sell me the stock. Odd, but I'll bite. His email traffic:

"Hello there I have a Very nice Heckler & Koch model HK93A3 5.56/.223 caliber rifle with "NATO black" type finish and factory retractable stock.
    Description.
    Condition: Used, As New

Caliber: .223 Remington (5.56 NATO)

Trades Accepted: I accept only money order USPS.

I only ask for $400 shipped .let me know your interest in buying. Check attachments below. Thanks."

I respond asking for clarification if the stock has a buffer: "My only concern is the recoil buffer. The 5.56 guns require a buffer either in the bolt carrier or in the stock. My bolt carrier is un-buffered, so I need a stock with the buffer in it. Do you know how your rifle is set up? Could you send a photo of the inside of the stock end-cap where it attaches to the receiver?"

He answers back with: "Hello there stock is in a good condition,no scratches,and works fine.And the stock also has a buffer. Check attachments below,i only accept USPS money order." He attaches photos of three different stocks than he sent the first time, all photos with different file name formats (so likely not taken with the same device) and all with different background/flooring material. Looks like an 9mm A3 stock, MP5 F-stock, and (I love it!) a G3 stock with the recoil spring sticking out the front - all detached. Not an email you'd expect back from a connoisseur.

I call him out: "You've sent me photos of three different stocks at this point, for at least two different (possibly three) guns. I'm confused - which one are you selling?"

First email I get back: "Sorry about that Ym selling this one I sent. Thanks"
    Then another immediately after: "Or which one of them do you want?"

My reply: "As I said initially, I’m looking for an A3 stock for a 5.56 gun. It needs to be buffered. Please send me some photos of that stock, specifically with it removed from the gun so I can see if it indeed has a mechanical buffer, with angles around the end-cap so I can see clearly. If we are suffering from miscommunication somehow, perhaps you can give me your phone number and we can talk through the confusion." A little test, and one last opportunity to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He writes back: "Check attachments below. Is that what you want" What is attached below? A Troy retractable AR stock!!!

Time to hold his feet to the fire: "No Sir, it's not. I am looking for an HK A3-type retractable stock for a 5.56 roller lock rifle (93/33/53). The photos you sent me originally represent one version of the correct stock. I simply could not tell if it was buffered or not from the original photos of it still attached to the rifle.

Do you have all these different stocks you are trying to sell? Have you posted them (or any other items) for sale on any of the various gun forums? Forgive me, but I find it a bit strange that you seem to be representing an extensive collection, yet don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I describe them. Unless we can clearly sort this out, I'm afraid I'm not comfortable dropping $400 in the mail and keeping my fingers crossed that you have sold me what I'm looking for. Disappointing."

And the coup-de-gras: "Actually I have all of them for sale.when you said you needed the one with a buffer,i t got confused for a while ,the picture of the first stock attached to the riffle has a buffer. I can assure you that.You just have to look closely.I have personally shot the riffle and and it has been confirmed. I have all these stock in my warehouse,but the one you are looking for is still attached to that riffle,after payments,it would be removed, boxed and shipped in a perfect condition to where you are located. I just gave you more photos of other stocks if it would go along with your ruffle. I guess we are cleared? Let me know,if you are buying it so I can have it packed and ready for shipments. Cheers.."

A WAREHOUSE! A professional business owner! Obviously - how could I have overlooked that possibility with the poorly written emails and grammar errors, the complete lack of a name or contact information (despite being asked for it), and 'customer service' responses in the middle of the night?

Last but not least, after I politely declined his offer of sale, I received an unsolicited (no prior PMs) follow-on email about 24 hours later from a different email address - this time '[email protected]' - offering a stock for sale, now $450. Ballsy. Same email syntax and phrasing, and of note the hkpro member name for the initial guy was 'malo'. Rather similar to the new email 'malonejury12'... Some folks just don't know when to quit.
    Last edited by drh2687; 11-30-2018 at 03:28 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

@Belted "world spicey" has been reported as a scammer on a couple of different forums:

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...ponding-to-WTB
    https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vi...?f=41&t=274039

Sponsored Links