MP-5 Two Stage Trigger - Progress!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ShootingSight
  • 1 Post By surely_you_jest

Thread: MP-5 Two Stage Trigger - Progress!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default MP-5 Two Stage Trigger - Progress!

Got some new help in the shop that has allowed me to get caught up and start devoting time to new projects. So my Christmas break project was tweeking the MP-5 trigger. I tweeked a lot.

I had a good prototype 18 months ago, but it went on the shelf, plus I realized that in a .308 with a longer bolt stroke, it needed some additional twists. So I have a new trigger put together. Took about 3 or 4 iterations to work out all the details, but it feels fantastic in the lower. Today I'll get it in both a 9mm and a 308 to make sure it cycles and pops a primer, so I know I have the geometry right.

Goal is to have a good pre-production trigger running at SHOT show in 2 weeks. It's looking good.

Trigger will be a two-stage. Pull will be about 4 lb. Reset will be short. Takeup will be smooth, due to NiB coating. All parts will be CNC machined from billet tool steel - nothing is cast. This will be an entire drop-in trigger group - no parts interchangeability with OEM parts. It will be ambi, so it will convert every lower to an ambi lower, though I'm still designing the selector. I can make an ugly selector that will be compatible with both metal and polymer lowers, or I can make nicer looking ones, but the two lowers will need different levers, or a different safety cam. Gotta figure out which way I want to go on that one.

Updates coming, as events warrant.
    USMC-F4 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Any pics of your prototype trigger pak?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'll get some.

Trigger pack was tested in both a 9mm and a 308, and it popped the primer, and cycled smoothly, so I got the geometry right. Next step is scaling up the one I made to make a half dozen, possibly using heat treated steel, likely a housing in aluminum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Sounds like an awesome project, keep us posted!

As far as the selector goes, HK people like things to look original/factory. Regardless of whether its ambi or SEF, I would say the more you can make the selector look factory German, the better. Some folks straight wont buy it if it looks weird.
    Anopstyx likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The factory extended selectors are great, as long as you can pick whether you want it on one or both sides.

A lot of folks weren’t happy with an unnamed trigger company, whose selectors both looked weird and also would interfere with your trigger finger side.

Glad to see progress.
    /signed/
    A SAR95 SS trigger pack owner.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any updates yet? I’ve got some of your M14 triggers & love them. I have a SP5 I’m wanting to try out a trigger for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Subscribed for interest! Art I talked to you at Shot. Guys...anything he makes will be an excellent product. The man is a genius.

Oh and...Thanks again for the Scar carbon scraper bit!

Sponsored Links