SHOT Show Basics

Thread: SHOT Show Basics

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

Default SHOT Show Basics

The largest trade show of its kind in the world and the fifth largest trade show in Las Vegas, the SHOT Show features more than 1,600 exhibitors filling booth space covering 630,000 net square feet. The show, which is a trade-only event, attracts more than 65,000 industry professionals from all 50 states and 100 countries.

When/Where is it?
    Usually held in Vegas in January. Home - NSSF SHOT Show for this year's details.

Is it open to the public?
    No. SHOT is for industry only (manufacturers, retailers, law enforcement, media, trade associations, etc.)

Okay, I'm part of the industry. How do I get in?
    Go to the website and see if you can register online. That method is time sensitive. If you wait too long, you will need to register onsite. The registration fee varies.

Okay. I 'm really not part of the industry. I just want to get in and see. Can somebody get me a hook up?

Yes and no. While it can be done, it's frowned upon. If you're caught both you and the person who helped you out could be in a lot of trouble.

Can I buy stuff at the show?
    In general, you can place orders. Some vendors have some stuff for direct sale at the show. No guns are sold for instant delivery, though.

Tell me about the swag.
    Great big gobs of it. Some folks lug around wheeled carts and such to accommodate the flood.

What do I need to know to survive?

Comfy shoes. Pace yourself because there is a lot to see. Prioritize because it is likely that you cannot see it all. Avoid pissing people off by *not* dragging around a wheeled cart or suitcase to store your swag (see above). Stay on the right side of the aisle when moving through the show, keep up with the flow of human traffic, and for God's sake DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP IN THE AISLE TO YAK ON YOUR PHONE OR JUST REST.

Any other do's and don'ts?

A big one: Don't waste the exhibitors' time. They are there to earn a living. Whether it is taking an order, answering an inquiry or dealing with existing clients... the point is business. It's expensive to get to SHOT, to rent space, to get a hotel, to eat, etc. It's a grueling slog to get through the whole thing, so time and energy are at a premium. Don't be that guy who wastes either. Be discreet about taking pictures. It's officially forbidden to do so.

Okay, what about the parties?

There are plenty. Lots of VIP events scattered throughout the show. Ya gotta ask to get an invite if you don't already have one. Be prepared to hear the word no.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

A little more detail on the rules for attendees:

SHOT Show® Attendance Rules (Attendees, Exhibitors, Media & Guests)

Attendance is RESTRICTED to shooting, hunting and outdoor trade professionals and commercial buyers and sellers of military, law enforcement and tactical products and services ONLY. The SHOT Show is not open to the general consuming public (e.g., private visitors, hunters, sports shooters, members of hunting and sports shooting clubs, etc.). NO one under age 16 admitted (including infants).

Admission to the show requires government issued photo identification plus documentation demonstrating direct, professional affiliation to the trade. Show exhibitors and media subject to different credentialing requirements.

This show badge constitutes a limited revocable license to attend the current SHOT Show. Badges CANNOT be reproduced, transferred or resold. $100 fee to replace lost or stolen badges. Limit one (1) free reprint per person. Badges are the property of the National Shooting Sports Foundation and may be revoked at any time for any reason.

NO animals except for properly identified on-duty ADA recognized service animals or Mil/LE/Fire K-9.

NO photography — STRICTLY ENFORCED! Photography or video recording at the show is prohibited except by those with valid media badges or other authorized individuals. Surveillance equipment is in use 24/7.

NO solicitation, suitcasing or outboarding.

NO personal firearms or ammunition allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the show floor.

NO loud, abusive, or defamatory language, harassment or other unprofessional or inappropriate behavior.

Show management NOT responsible for injuries, property damage or loss of any kind, or for any other incidents, directly or indirectly connected with attending the show. Attendees assume all business and personal risks before, during and after the show.

Attendees and their belongings may be searched at any time during the show. Attendees consent to such searches and waive any related claims that may arise. If an attendee refuses such searches, attendee may be denied entry or be removed from show premises without refund or other compensation.

Attendees grant show management permission to utilize their image, likeness, actions and statements in any live or recorded audio, video, or photographic display or other transmission, exhibition, publication or reproduction made of, or at, the Shot Show in any medium or context without further authorization or compensation.

These attendance rules apply to all show “attendees” including Show attendees, exhibitors, media and guests. Show management shall have sole discretion over admission at all times and shall strictly enforce all show rules. Attendees agree to abide by these attendance rules, as well as all other rules applicable to their badge type, which may be updated at any time. Violators risk immediate confiscation of their show badge without refund and removal from the premises. Violators will not be allowed re-entry.

you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

I've taken pics even though I knew it was a risk. Just got to be a ninja about it. I got there twice by being hooked up, unfortunately my dealer access to the show did a year in jail for firearms related felony...sucks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

A good pair of walking shoes are highly recommended!

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

Other Pro tips:

* The booth models are really not into you. Really. But it's Vegas, so go for the selfie. Your friends back home will believe you.

* Food is expensive in Vegas. Don't act shocked when a burger, fries and a drink winds up costing $30.

* If there is more than 6 of you, getting one of the limos from the drive up at the hotel is cheaper than two taxis.

* Yes, you should get a reservation.

* The shuttles are quicker than waiting in line for a taxi.

* It's easier to eat breakfast than lunch during SHOT.

* Basic human hygiene is *greatly* appreciated by the exhibitors.

you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Get the official rules and regulations here: Home - NSSF SHOT Show
    NRA Lifetime Member

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    A good pair of walking shoes are highly recommended!
    Learned that the hard way my first year there. Day 1 wasn't bad but by day 3 I was ready for a Jazzy cart.

Hope for another good show this year!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

My 2 cents. If you are accumulating a lot of literature/catalogs while going from table to table, spend 30 minutes that evening culling the catalogs you don't want to fly home with. That stuff gets heavy real quick, and that display of muzzel loading assault rifles looked cool when you walked by the table and picked up one of their catalogs. But when you get back to your hotel room, you realize the extra weight just isn't worth lugging it through the airport. Either that, or box up a bunch of catalogs in a fixed postage priority box and mail it home.
    Last edited by SudS; 01-10-2015 at 01:59 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    My 2 cents. If you are accumulating a lot of literature/catalogs while going from table to table, spend 30 minutes that evening culling the catalogs you don't want to fly home with. That stuff gets heavy real quick, and that display of muzzel loading assault rifles looked cool when you walked by the table and picked up one of their catalogs. But when you get back to your hotel room, you realize the extra weight just isn't worth lugging it through the airport. Either that, or box up a bunch of catalogs in a fixed postage priority box and mail it home.
    Great suggestion. My Spanish business partner, did that very thing. Mailed 2-3 USPS flat rate Medium boxes home with piles of literature and freebees.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Sponsored Links