VP9 RMR from SHOT 2015 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VP9 RMR from SHOT 2015

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I had my glock done thru one source tactical, that was when it was not as common to have it done....
    I have not seen them do a VP9 yet.....

DS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow wow my wallet just ran away from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish they would offer this with 'combat cut' sight positions. I had a hard time focusing correctly when using a standard cut with an RMR dropped in front of it (I had and subsequently sold an FNX45T for this reason) . I am now using a Glock 19 with ATOM slide and RMR.

Combat cut = single focal plane, iron sights can be used to deflect anything from hitting your glass (brass, etc)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I'd take one!

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Was looking at a RDS handgun for the longest time, but never had the time/energy to look into it. When I took Pat McNamara's 2-day TAPS class, he told us how Delta was using RDS for the longest time and how it increased/improved effectiveness. He doesn't use a RDS for his class because he doesn't want to use an aiming system that most of his students aren't equipped with.

Bottom line he was/is a fan of the RDS on a handgun.

Anyhows, I am interested in getting a handgun/VP9 with a RDS and wanted to find out if fellow HKPro folks have one ordered? If so, how are things so far?

BTW, there is a different thread that talks about AOP, but focuses on the HK45. Another great thread BTW. https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...-hk45-rmr.html

I am about to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a VP9 and had a few quick questions. I did talk to AOP once already and emailed that a bunch of questions, but wanted to hear your candid thoughts/advice.

1. How are they able to zero the iron sights?
    Apologies if this is a newbie question, but 90% of my trigger time was on the M16/AR15.

I don't have much experience with handguns although I have been shooting my Glocks and HK45c a fair bit over the last 2 years.

If you look at Item 2 and Item 3 on their pricing sheet, they always state they will zero the iron sights. How the heck does that work? Can I zero the sights on my Glock 17?? Wasn't aware there was a way to shift my POI!

2. What night sights did you guys choose?
    AOP has 2 options. Trijicon Tritium Night Sights vs. Heine Slang Pro Straight Eight Tritium Night Sights

A. What did you choose and why?
    B. Should we be considering options outside of the 2 they recommended?

IIRC, one option is for the customer to send in his/her preferred sights/RDS for AOP to install. Hence option 2B is a possibility.

3. Did anybody request the Dual Illum RMR?
    Instead of the Adjustable LED RMR. Or the LED RMR? I don't see it as an option on their pricing sheet, but AOP seems very flexible.

In addition, the MSRP of the Trijicon Dual Illum is cheaper, so I assume the overall price should be same if not less.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...justable%20LED
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...al-Illuminated

4. Did any of you order the cover plate option?
    I don't think i will be moving the RMR around. So likely won't need to order the cover plate that is put in place when the RMR is removed, but just wanted to check with you folks in case you liked it, hated it, etc.

5. Is there a holster that will fit the VP9 with RMR and taller iron sights?
    I saw a few other threads on the topic. Looks like finding a Kydek holster that fits the VP9 is now starting to come along. But that is finding a holster that fits an unmodified VP9.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/saddlery/...olster-17.html

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/saddlery/...-holsters.html

Is here a holster that will accommodate the RMR installed together with the taller iron sights?

6. Is there a holster that will fit the VP9 with RMR and taller iron sights AND the Black Hawk Jacket Slot Duty Belt Loop?
    I have holsters that fit my Glock 17 on my belt.

However, I purchased the Black Hawk Jacket Slot Duty Belt loop because the original holster was rode too high on my waist. And I didn’t want to go the other extreme of a thigh holster which I personally felt was too low and had the added issue of inhibiting running/jogging.

Amazon.com : BLACKHAWK! Jacket Slot Duty Belt Loop with Duty Holster Screws : Gun Holsters : Sports & Outdoors

Please note I am not referring to concealed carry. That is a whole other can of worms... : )

TIA. Drooler

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Hmmm... I guess not many have ordered from AOP.

Good news and bad news, I can be one of the first on HKPro.

To date, experience with AOP has been positive. Very quick response to most if not all my questions.

1. Iron sights
    Re zeroing, they claim to zero out to 20 yards. With what ammo and how can iron sights be zero-ed (and whether I can adjust the zero in the future, no response yet). I told them I will be shooting Federal HST 124gr ammo. Not sure if that matters or not. :(

2. Night sights
    Bad news is that there are no choices. Good news is that there are no choices.

The Trijicon night sights will supposedly NOT clear a suppressor. So that leaves the Heine straight 8 as the only choice.

I read the other threads on HKPro that discuss the benefits of the 3 dot Trijicon over the 2 dot Heine, especially when the Trijicon rear dots are yellow, which allows the eye to focus and rapidly sight the front green dot. Not applicable in this case if the Trijicon won't clear the suppressor (and/or co-withness with the Trijicon RMR??).

Lastly, it looks like Larry Vickers is a fan of the Heine straight 8 night sights. If good enough for him, heck... Definitely good enough for me!!

Night Sights

3. Dual Illum RMR
    Looks like I am the only one asking for this. Gonna order one and ship it to them.

They did advice that my preferred optic (12.9MOA green triangle reticle) may dominate the front sight/Heine front dot. My logic is that the RDS is the primary optic. If it breaks, it will no longer dominate the Heine front dot... Hence, I won't have a problem either ways... : )

4. Cover plate
    It is a $115 + shipping option.

I'm guessing I won't be needing this. Can use the $$ to buy more ammo and go practice more at the gun range.

5. Holster
    I am so screwed. No viable solution currently.

My current solution is to hang it around a necklace round my neck. I will look so badass nobody will mess with me.

It will be a cross between concealed and open carry. Ha!

Jokes aside, I saw a vid that somebody posted. Supposedly the safariland holster that fits the HK P30?? will fit the VP9 perfectly. Maybe not perfect as in there might be some minor scraping. But I tend to shoot my guns so minor cosmetic blemishes don't bother me one bit.

I will share with the HKPro community as soon as I have both the AOP VP9 with Heine night sights and Trijicon Dual Illum RMR in hand. Hopefully, the darn thing will fit in a holster as my neck muscles aren't very strong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drooler View Post
    Jokes aside, I saw a vid that somebody posted. Supposedly the safariland holster that fits the HK P30?? will fit the VP9 perfectly. Maybe not perfect as in there might be some minor scraping. But I tend to shoot my guns so minor cosmetic blemishes don't bother me one bit.
    For duty holsters, there are Safariland ALS holsters coming out for the VP9. However, it's harder to get ALS holsters to play well with RDSes, as the locking mechanism will probably be in the way, especially how close to the ejection port the APO mounts the RMR. I have successfully modified my SLS holster for my P30LS with the RMR (a 6004 model), but that operates on a different mechanism. Others have modified their ALS holsters for RDS equipped Glocks and M&Ps, so it might be doable for the VP9, too.

Raven Concealment can make you a regular Kydex holster with an RMR; the biggest challenge for existing holsters probably isn't so much the RMR, but the suppressor height sights. It would probably be trivial to mod any kydex holster to accept an RMR if you have a Dremel, but the suppressor height sights would never fit. The RCS I use for EDC had minor fitment issues because of the height of the BUIS, but it smoothed out with enough draws; this was with the suppressor height sights and RMR cut option.

If you want the RMR mounted further back away from the ejection port, with the rear BUIS in front of the RMR, L&M Precision can do that (or the regular way, too, and not be as close to the ejection port).

As for re-zeroing BUIS, there's no real way to do it beyond shaving the front or rear site to adjust your POA. My P30LS came with Dawson Precision front sights (0.375 height, I believe) and Ameriglo rears; no tritium. At 25 yards, with Gold Dot 124 gr. +P, the BUIS are about... an inch low? Two? Not sure, but it's definitely low. Doesn't bother me none, though, since I also have a laser also zeroed at 25 yards as an alternate back-up sighting system.

Before I jumped into the MRDS pool, I used standard height Heinies as my iron sights, and was fairly happy with them, though they shot low at 25 yards.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-01-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    For duty holsters, there are Safariland ALS holsters coming out for the VP9. However, it's harder to get ALS holsters to play well with RDSes, as the locking mechanism will probably be in the way, especially how close to the ejection port the APO mounts the RMR. I have successfully modified my SLS holster for my P30LS with the RMR (a 6004 model), but that operates on a different mechanism. Others have modified their ALS holsters for RDS equipped Glocks and M&Ps, so it might be doable for the VP9, too.

Raven Concealment can make you a regular Kydex holster with an RMR; the biggest challenge for existing holsters probably isn't so much the RMR, but the suppressor height sights. It would probably be trivial to mod any kydex holster to accept an RMR if you have a Dremel, but the suppressor height sights would never fit. The RCS I use for EDC had minor fitment issues because of the height of the BUIS, but it smoothed out with enough draws; this was with the suppressor height sights and RMR cut option.

If you want the RMR mounted further back away from the ejection port, with the rear BUIS in front of the RMR, L&M Precision can do that (or the regular way, too, and not be as close to the ejection port).

As for re-zeroing BUIS, there's no real way to do it beyond shaving the front or rear site to adjust your POA.
    Thanks for the insights. It is greatly appreciated.

I am not too familiar with holsters. Mostly because it was illegal to own a handgun in Chicago. Given I was allergic to jail, it was one thing I didn't even have to think about/consider.

Not that concealed carry is a legally possible, I need to start researching this much more.

Truth be told I am not even really sure how ALS is different from SLS. Thank goodness for Google, which will hopefully let me bone up on this very shortly.

It is interesting to note that the taller iron sights will be the issue. I suspected that would be the case as some of the holsters I have seen aren't very "deep", which will have more than enough room for the RMR as the handgun doesn't sit all the way down/deep.

Last resort is the dremel I suppose, but I worry if that impacts the structural integrity, retention ability, etc. Good to hear that Safariland will come up with a holster for the VP9. Hopefully, I can find one that will fit the AOP modified VP9 in a few months!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drooler View Post
    I am not too familiar with holsters. Mostly because it was illegal to own a handgun in Chicago. Given I was allergic to jail, it was one thing I didn't even have to think about/consider.

Not that concealed carry is a legally possible, I need to start researching this much more.

Truth be told I am not even really sure how ALS is different from SLS. Thank goodness for Google, which will hopefully let me bone up on this very shortly.
    If this holster is primarily for concealed carry use, then I would not be looking at Safariland; they make wonderful retention holsters, but retention holsters generally make for poor concealed carry holsters, due to bulk. I use my Safariland holster for when I overtly carry (either about the house, or else doing carbine-related drills and stuff at the range).

A typical Kydex holster would more than suffice, assuming it can handle suppressor height sights. RCS is definitely one of the key makers in the industry, having of basically popularized the concept, but there should be plenty of other options out there; I've simply not explored the other options due to my specific needs (it's rare to have a place offer P30L holsters, rather than normal P30 holsters, and most places don't have an X400U mold, either). Besides RCS, I typically point people toward JM Customs or else Dark Star Gear, but there really is huge number of decent Kydex holster makers out there. If someone doesn't explicitly offer a holster for suppressor height sights and an RMR cut, I would simply contact them and ask if that was possible for them to do so; at the very least, it should give you a handle on their customer service.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    If this holster is primarily for concealed carry use, then I would not be looking at Safariland; they make wonderful retention holsters, but retention holsters generally make for poor concealed carry holsters, due to bulk. I use my Safariland holster for when I overtly carry (either about the house, or else doing carbine-related drills and stuff at the range).

A typical Kydex holster would more than suffice, assuming it can handle suppressor height sights. RCS is definitely one of the key makers in the industry, having of basically popularized the concept, but there should be plenty of other options out there; I've simply not explored the other options due to my specific needs (it's rare to have a place offer P30L holsters, rather than normal P30 holsters, and most places don't have an X400U mold, either). Besides RCS, I typically point people toward JM Customs or else Dark Star Gear, but there really is huge number of decent Kydex holster makers out there. If someone doesn't explicitly offer a holster for suppressor height sights and an RMR cut, I would simply contact them and ask if that was possible for them to do so; at the very least, it should give you a handle on their customer service.
    Apologies for the confusion, I was referring to overt carry when the holster is on my "war belt". Doing a bit more research, I think ALS retention is the way to go. Although I haven't had an ND (fingers crossed I never have an ND), the trigger finger release seems to be inviting trouble based on everything I have read so far. Thumb release looks like the way to go.

There are a bunch of Kydek holster makers out there these days. Seems way more than in the past. If the Safariland ALS holster does not work, it looks like I will be making a bunch of phone calls...

Thanks for the insights. Greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links