Christmas Eve P9S Refurbishment

Thread: Christmas Eve P9S Refurbishment

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)

Default Christmas Eve P9S Refurbishment

So tonight, as I waited for my kids to fall off to sleep before playing Santa, I took advantage of a few moments of time and completed a P9S refurbishment project for friend and fellow forum member, Mark (BeachBum). For the P9S fans out there, I thought I would share this with you.

Mark contacted me a few months ago to discuss a HH date code P9S Combat .45 that he had picked up at a really good price. The downside was that it had signs of some pretty significant carry at one point in its life, with some finish wear and several areas of light to medium surface rust. Mark wanted to have it cleaned up for use as a range shooter and was looking for both a complete tear down for detailed cleaning and inspection and a recommendation for refinish.

The photos below do not do an appropriate job at portraying the level of surface rust that was present on the pistol when I received it, as my camera is not professional grade and I had already gone over the pistol a bit prior to taking the photos, but there were several areas on the exterior parts (trigger, safety selector, catch, and the slide, specifically on the right rear and up towards the rear sight).

On the interior, additional surface rust was found, as well as carbon build up and gunk. So, I stripped the pistol completely, gave it a thorough cleaning and then selected the specific parts that were in need of refinishing. I recommended to Mark to only refinish these specific parts, as the other parts were still in great shape and this would keep the overall cost to a minimum.

There are several good recommendations for refinishing HK pistols out there and many times, it all comes down to personal preference. I have had several of my personal HK weapons refinished by Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms and I recommended him to Mark for this project as well. Jayson is incredibly professional and skilled, his prices are low, turnaround time is quick and he demonstrates a high level of attention to detail. He also offers a HK black finish that is very attractive. As you can see in the parts that arrived today, he even took the time to reapply the safety dots, the sight lines and outlined the HK logo in red (a nice touch).

Reassembled, lubricated and with a fresh recoil buffer, Mark's P9S is all ready to go and be dropped into his Christmas stocking. As always, it has been a pleasure bringing a legacy HK back to life and Mark will surely enjoy shooting it and sharing it with friends at the range for years to come.
    Last edited by Marine0303; 12-25-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

WOW, that came out great.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks great. I wish I would have seen this before I had a vp70 cerakoted

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well done! Thanks for sharing the project with us, very informative.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I want a USPS box under my tree from Marine0303 . Every gift begins with James ...
    NRA Certified RSO

Be where your feet are

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thank you James!!! Wow. It's gorgeous! I can't believe that's the same pistol I bought. Just so everyone can appreciate just how dramatic the transformation was, here is a "before" picture showing all the surface rust on the heel of the slide and rear sights.

I bought this basically as a parts gun and asked James for a professional opinion as to whether or not it could be saved, or was worth saving. Needless to say, I am delighted with the results. Can't wait to bring it to the range! This has to be one of the best Christmas presents ever. Don't tell my wife I said that!

Thanks again, James! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Mark

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

always enjoy reading your threads james and love the work that you do. can't wait to send you my p7k3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brought back to life indeed! Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That looks fantastic. Great work.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)

Thanks guys. This was a fun project and I appreciate Mark trusting me to take good care of his HK.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Sponsored Links