May 2015 Teufelshund Tactical MP5 and UMP Operator Course After Action Report - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2015 Teufelshund Tactical MP5 and UMP Operator Course After Action Report

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well ****, I need to schedule an appointment

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drvais View Post

That made my day!
    That was an awesome performance by Rob. He was clearly our most improved shooter and his proficiency in that video, taken at the end of day two, shows just how much effort he put into the training...all with a broken and swollen toe.
    And yes, that was my obnoxious laugh, from the other side of the range, when he knocked that stand over.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Default May 2015 Teufelshund Tactical MP5 and UMP Operator Course After Action Report

Great to read this report and to see Ben was there again! Just to add emphasis "Sadly, many HK owners either never focus the time, money and effort into training or just are not able to find any that suits their specific focus. This course provided that focus." Perhaps the biggest reason why I want to do the course again and why other members need to take advantage of this!

I'm definitely a more competent shooter because of this course.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love reading through these. Thank you for the report!

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just wanted to post up my two cents regarding this course.

First.... our instructor James was outstanding!
    James is VERY HK proficient, highly focused, and pays close attention to detail... everything you come to expect from a Marine officer.

Having attended previous weapons training in the military and with a SWAT instructor... I found it difficult to unlearn some of the drills and adapt to what James was teaching.
    Yes I did think through the skills I had been previously taught to what James was teaching, and found Jame's methods to really be more combat practical.
    That is a Marine for you!

The course begins with the fundamentals such as stance and having your weapon sights properly zero'd.
    Both very important to the success of getting you and the weapon to perform optimally.

This is where I learned how bad my stance had become after years of just slacking.
    (Its amazing the number of bad shooting habits that can be easily picked up)

The 30 round full auto mag dump was fun. It had been a couple years since my last full auto experience, and this was my first with the MP5.
    By comparison, the MP5 is far more controllable than the M4 in full auto.

The 100 meter shot was a bit of a challenge, as it was made free standing.
    I normally use a bench or other support for targets beyond 75 meters... but now I have the confidence that I can hit my targets that far out and beyond free standing!
    Hearing steel at 100 meters is a really good sound.

The progressive "moving and firing" drills were done very well.
    Again.. hitting my targets consistently made me feel pretty good.

Then the course moved well out of my comfort zone..... and beyond my typical shooting range exercises.

The reload drills were a disaster for me. (I usually change mags at a leisurely pace)
    But first, I had to fight off muscle memory from learning quick reloads a much different way. (James's method is in fact faster)
    Second, I was incorporating the use of a tactical vest which I almost never wear, and had NEVER attempted quick reloads from.
    It was like learning how to dance the night of the prom. YIKES!

I had a very similar issue with the weapons clearing/malfunctions drills.
    Again... fighting off a previous trained method.

But my worst skill was making the transition from the rifle to the sidearm. (It was embarrassing)
    My lack of familiarity using the tactical vest, a new sling, and a drop-leg holster made for a VERY bad combination.
    I had mounted the drop leg holster far too low, which caused my rifle to get in the way as I bent down for the pistol.
    Thankfully I could still consistently hit the targets... even if it did take me an eternity to do so.

The firing behind cover, and assisting fellow shooters during reloads or malfunctions was practical..... and a lot of fun.
    Again... I feel good about my ability to consistently hit my targets and this drill reminds you of how well a team can fight as apposed to just an individual.

And finally... before leaving I really enjoyed doing a full auto 100 round beta mag dump with an MP5 and then a 30 round mag dump with a K model.

Lest I forget to mention the classroom/armorer training that was VERY useful.
    Knowing the proper tools for cleaning, and normal spares to keep on hand is invaluable.

I'd also like to thank Paul for his assistance with the course, and access to the Frontline Defense range.
    YOU ROCK.... and the range is excellent!

So everything about the course was well worth it.... and then some.

Now that I'm PAINFULLY aware of my deficiencies.... I can make the proper adjustments to my gear and practice these new skills to proficiency.

I'm confident that if James does another level class, I'll be ready to step it up!

Thank you again James for a wonderful experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As I often hear my kids say to their friends … "You guys rock !!"

Seriously, I'm green with envy of those who attended. Making it to one of James' courses is certainly at the top of my must do lists. What I appreciate most is the candor and honesty about both success & shortfalls that attendees have posted. I'd have to agree with what James said in post #1 "What a superb group of gentlemen." Coming from a Marine Officer that is high praise indeed.

One question … What did those who attended learn/come away with regarding sling options for the MP5 that did or did not work when put to the test? James, your input/recommendations regarding slights for this weapons would also be appreciated. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread! Tony

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

Thanks for the great feedback, especially from Jayson and Pentico. Honest assessment, including your own shortcomings is what learning is all about. We all make mistakes, and I sure made a few of my own, but pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is what training should be all about.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maj45k View Post
    One question … What did those who attended learn/come away with regarding sling options for the MP5 that did or did not work when put to the test? James, your input/recommendations regarding slights for this weapons would also be appreciated. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread! Tony
    I'll provide my feedback. A couple of the guys, including one of my own MP5s, had the original HK tac sling. This is still a suitable sling, but its lack of adjustability on the fly, in comparison to some of the newer offerings makes it not as useful. I personally am a big fan of the Vickers sling, with the HK snap hook for the front attachment point and the Magpul MSIII, mounted in single point configuration on the rear sling attachment point of the A3 stock. I run both of these slings on my guns as well.
    For the MP5K, in machine pistol configuration, I prefer the HK bungee sling, as it allows opposite tension during extension and is low profile.
    Whatever sling you pick, make sure that you test it ahead of time, with the gear you're actually going to shoot with. Left handed shooters have more trouble with HK SMGs, due to the cocking handle location and the ejection port, but even for right handed shooters, if you are using the front sling attachment point on the MP5 series guns or the UMP, you have to practice how you are going to move your hand between the mag well and the cocking handle, as the sling will be "in play" and has a say in your decision.
    It was clear to me that many of the guys attending this course had very little experience with slings in general and even fewer had ever run them on their SMGs. That made sling selection, set up and trial and error a recurring topic of conversation between drills.
    SF,

James

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Great course and I highly rec' it to all MP5/UMP (all variants, SA and FA) owners, esp those w/o LE or Military experience (like me). It's one thing to be at home on your range doing the redneck mag dumps that I'm so fond of vs. actually using the weapon for its God intended purpose. Best gun money I've spent in a very long time and totally worth the effort to attend. We had guys drive from as far away as 800 mi to one who flew in from KS so effort was made and it was definitely worth it.

I did find that my sling (my first time using one) did slightly interfere with my mag changes on the full size MP5 but it wasnt a big deal. The MUCH bigger deal was me F'ing up the proper quick mag change sequence when under pressure. I think I failed the standard 2 shot, mag change, 2 shot- under 6-7 sec. exercise multiple times. I also kept my dang gun pointed way too low while in the low ready position. Hard habit to break.

I added other comments to JT's thread just a few moments ago.

Bottom line.... If you are a MP5/UMP owner and can make James' class then you certainly won't be disappointed. Period. End of that really.

Thanks James! Great stuff. When can I send in my deposit for Intermediate or Advanced MP5/UMP course? I got the itch.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    Best gun money I've spent in a very long time and totally worth the effort to attend.

Bottom line.... If you are a MP5/UMP owner and can make James' class then you certainly won't be disappointed. Period. End of that really.
    I'm not the best at coming up with the right things to say, So I'll just steal what Houston said. I couldn't agree more.
    One day Buddah was sitting under a tree.
    A knight walked up and said: "You look like a Pig."
    Buddah replied: "And you look like a god."
    The knight, obviously puzzled asked: "What makes you say that?"
    Buddah replied: "My son, we see in others what we see in ourselves."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links