After Action Report: Nov 2016 Teufelshund Tactical Advanced SMG Operator Course
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: After Action Report: Nov 2016 Teufelshund Tactical Advanced SMG Operator Course

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Default After Action Report: Nov 2016 Teufelshund Tactical Advanced SMG Operator Course

Another successful training course complete, post op maintenance done and everything reorganized. That means it’s time to sort through all the photos and videos from the training, upload the best and then compile them all with my thoughts for my traditional submission of the course after action report.

These two days marked the final open enrollment training course on our 2016 schedule and it was awesome to close out the year with such an outstanding event. As always, I must begin by thanking Paul and his staff at Frontline Defense for hosting the event. All in attendance can agree that the opportunity presented at Frontline Defense is exceptional and almost impossible to match elsewhere.

Pistol, Rifle, & Shotgun Outdoor Shooting Range Warrenton NCFrontline Defense | Firearms Training Center & Range

I’ve also got to thank this motely crew of friends who made the long travel to attend. Of those in attendance, almost all had attended one of our previous courses, and many were here for their third or more. New to our training, we also had the pleasure to have two Law Enforcement SWAT members join us, in preparation for additional training we will be providing to their agency, as well as Chase, Director of Marketing for Zenith Firearms. I have to tell you, that the quality of people that we have attend our training is just superb and Ben and I are continually humbled by the commitments each of them makes to attend our training. Catching up with each of you and watching the great gains being made in such a short period of time is especially rewarding for us.

First to arrive was Bob. We all shared a laugh, as he was sporting a t-shirt from our favorite range sponsor, Sheetz!

This is also a good time to share my appreciation for Bob’s organization, preparation and passion of shooting. Bob really knows how to travel in style. Check out his set up for lunch and on the spot field maintenance.

In short order, everyone else arrived for what would end up being over 12 hours of rapidly progressive training. After the course introduction and confirming the goals that each student had, we jumped right in, confirming our BZO and then we assembled to conduct a series of purpose-designed and stackable foundational drills. As “advanced training” is really just an advanced application of fundamentals, re-establishing a solid base, from the ground up, ensured that not only would we “knock the rust off”, but would arm ourselves with the skills and confidence necessary to excel when the drills began to require more movement, teamwork, speed and accuracy.

To build such an effective program, we rely on solid base in instructional design and a focus on the individual. Each student processes and assimilates information differently, and when introducing new concepts, often counter to hard-learned experience, being able to do so while connecting personally with each student in a manner that allows them to understand the “why” behind each topic, while keeping them comfortable, positive and motivated about rapid progression, is proudly one of the major strengths that Teufelshund Tactical brings to the game.

Through the day, pushing the students to “load faster”, so we could get as many reps in on each drill, we progressed through a series of stacked drills. Each drill building upon the skills and foundation laid in the previous one, we quickly saw performance and proficiency grow on an equal level as everyone’s confidence. Pushing through trust drills that confirmed a solid foundation, to rhythm drills that built speed and accuracy, to how to properly apply body mechanics and eyes into shooting, to reload drills, we then pulled everything together for a series of movement drills.

Video of Chase running the "Eyes Tracking Drill" with his Z5RS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW65QauxN_A

Video of Cover/Reload Drill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Cp6Xqk6vQ

Finishing up the afternoon and using every bit of available sunlight left, we covered Vehicle Ambush Drills. Working in close contact with other students, everyone had the opportunity to complete multiple runs through both front and side ambushes, learning the how to fight your way out of a very difficult situation.

Video of Vehicle Ambush Demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB21E2hoMIE

One of the highlights of this course is always the low light/no light training block, as not only is this training extremely valuable for real world application, but also because the large majority of people simply don’t have the opportunity to conduct such training. Even worse, much of what they think they know about shooting with and without lights is just plain wrong.

With a short block of “classroom instruction”, we conducted a series of handheld light drills with the pistol, then pistol mounted weapon lights and finally SMG mounted weapon lights and transition drills.

Next, we completed a series of movement drills, incorporating barricades and paper and steel targets. Like during the day, the focus was on performing each task correctly, while increasing speed and accuracy. Then, when the individual night drills, were completed, we moved back over to the next range bay and paired up to conduct night front and side ambush drills.

The repetitions we had put in on the team vehicle ambush drills during the day, and the low light/no light foundational work we had just completed resulted in incredibly solid "shooting, moving and communicating", from a group of guys who had never worked together in this type of training before.

Video of Sean and Al running the Night Vehicle Ambush (side):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntNBde2zns4

To begin Day Two, we ran through a few of our foundational drills form the previous day, so as to “warm up” and then moved into malfunction clearances and transition drills. Then, speeding up by slowing down, we focused on embracing the “Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast” mantra. In short order, everyone cut their times to complete drills in half and then in half again. Then we covered a series of movement drills that, again, helped pull multiple skills together.

Video of Josh running the X Drill with his UMP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEaq9bRMxCw

Though we worked hard at learning new techniques and improving skills, we also took time to answer questions and discuss gear issues. Finding out what works for you and what does not is always a great additional benefit of attending training. Getting exposure to some of the latest technology and products is another. We’re pleased to be supported by some of the best companies in the firearms community and getting to share these products and information with others is a reward in itself.

Our CET or “the humbler” followed, a great drill to challenge each student with in order to put everything learned during the day together. Running this drill “cold” is always challenging, but attempting to run it under time and clean is a great motivation for each of us.

Just like we do at the end of each day, we wrapped up the course by again conducting a debrief. This allows us to gauge our success at helping each student accomplish the goals they came into this course with, while helping them set new ones to knock down. It also helps us, through the presentation of “sustains and improves”, focus on continuous process improvement, so future courses will be even better.

We continue to be overwhelmingly humbled to have this opportunity; to share this knowledge and training with such a dedicated group of friends. Coming back again and again for more of what we’re providing, shows us that we’re on the right track, while motivating us to continue to make future courses even more efficient and productive.

For those of you who were there to make this training so rewarding, we challenge you to keep pushing yourselves with the examples we provided and look forward to seeing you again next year. And for those of you who are reading this After Action Report and wanting to have a similar experience, I encourage you to take the time to research the many excellent training opportunities that exist and then make the commitment in the new year to get out there and push yourself and your H&Ks too. If you want to train with us, the first half of our training schedule will be posted shortly.

SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Teufelshund Tactical is THE best.

For anyone reading this and even considering attending firearms training, this is the place to go, period.

I understand they are traveling more in 2017, which will provide opportunities around the country to learn, if they are remotely close to you, by all means go, no BS, just fact.

This was my third time making the trip to FrontLine and far, far from my last. I've learned and felt as though I have grown as a shooter and as a person each time I have attended a class, but this time was a lot more. I really felt as my shooting evolved and I grew more as a person this time, the positive reinforcement which is employed just goes above and beyond to help me grow as a shooter.

I also found some less than positives as well; the USP is not the sidearm to use, fixed that on the way home yesterday when I scored a VP9!, a dump pouch is essential, and on the front of my gear. I am in terrible shape, Sean helped with our "woosa" exercise to start getting me turned around with that! My posture when shooting the MP5 has to change, period. Shooting from a vehicle is an absolute bitch! and LOUD!!!!, that one evolution impressed me over and over.

All in all, another great time, one I so look forward to experiencing again, and I cannot stress enough, the positive re-enforcement shown and experienced by me and I'm sure the other guys, just goes beyond the mere ability to describe with words. Once again,

Great job James & Ben!
    Bobby D
    NRA Endowment
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    EMT-B
    KB9RDL

"In einer Welt aus Kompromissen, einige Männer machen keine".

"We bleed hk red!"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Wow looks like this was another great class, sorry to have missed it , look forward to 2017 !!! bring it James and Ben !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Great write up James. Keep the courses coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Last winter my brother (Scottinthegrove) hit me up about doing some MP5 training in NC. I live in VA, so obviously that isn't too far away. I had not idea this training was happening in part because I hadn't been active on the boards in many years. I was fortunate enough (and that's a relative term in the NFA community) to buy some stuff about a decade ago...when it was just really expensive and not the crazy expensive of today. I did a lot of research back then for various projects. For context I must say I had a pretty BAD taste in my mouth about HK training offered through this board. Someone famous on this board used to provide a great class once a year or so and for awhile it kept sounding like the next one might be the last one he'd run. So a friend at work (who also has an MP5) and I signed up and bought our airfare to fly half way across the country for the class. The man in question went through a divorce or some other major life event...and so he just cancelled the class. I ate about $500...yes that's right $500. Part of that was my fault as I didn't know you could actually pay a change fee and reuse the remaining value on an airline ticket...I thought that non-refundable meant you were just out the money....so in a sense about half of that was my own fault for not understand how tickets work...but in my defense....never in my life have I had airline tickets that I couldn't use. Anyway....divorces happen....life happens....but no one made an effort to make that situation "right". I live and work in a world where your word means something....trust means something....and that "grave danger" could occur if that trust is violated. It honestly made me think a little less of this board because of it. There are a lot of good people on here....but it factored in me walking away from this board entirely.

So when my brother approaches me with the class....I'm a little skeptic....but I've long wanted MP5 specific training (or even generic subgun training for that matter)...and much more importantly it would be an opportunity to spend some great quality time with my brother doing something we both love. So even if the training was a bad experience...it was still going to be worth it.
    For additional context, I had started getting serious about pursuing training….primarily handgun and carbine classes.
    Not only was the first class excellent…I’ve taken every class offered in NC since. I’ve been to been to the MP5 and the Advanced MP5 class twice each plus the Carbine class and all of the associated pistol classes.
    I’ve taken pistol, carbine, and long rang semi-auto classes with Chris Costa, Carbine with Travis Haley and carbine with Kyle Defoor. I’ve also taken local rifle and pistol classes. And all of their classes are really good.
    The training with Teufelshund Tactical is every bit as good (or in some cases better) than those offered by some of the more famous trainers. One huge advantage is round count…you flat out get after it at this courses…you get your reps. I’ve been to other classes where the instruction is excellent….but you just don’t shoot a lot. I live in an urban area so a change to break out of an indoor range…shoot…move…engage multiple targets is something I can’t get enough of. The facility is top notch and they have an area dedicated to vehicle work. Combine that with low light/no light training and you end up with some really really great reps and experience. Sometimes classes go for 12 hours! Now if that’s too much, its all set up for you to take breaks, sit out a drill or two or wrap up early if you want to … no problem. But if you want to get after it….the opportunity is there. It almost ruins you for other classes. I’m not kidding…we sometimes get to the “end of the day” in other classes and I’m like…um…I came to shoot….we are done?! And that’s not an attack on other trainers….its just that these guys go over the top to see you get the best training possible, under awesome conditions.
    Which leads me to my last point…character. James and Ben…are first class human beings. It is not possible for me to give them a stronger endorsement on that front. They go out of their way to push students but also encourage newer students…they are both positive and patient with students learning.
    We live in strange times…the internet is FULL of guys doing mag changes so fast that if you blink you miss it…running semi-autos so hard and fast you’d swear it was full. But in the real world…learning skills takes time and repetitions. Early on your going to have gear issues….you’re going to grab the fresh mag and forget that you haven’t even pulled the empty/bad one yet.
    Ben and James do a wonderful job of starting you with the fundamentals and building your confidence through quality reps…they start slow and build speed as the shooters are ready.
    Ok…one more point and this isn’t their instruction per se….but the quality of people the comes to class is also top notch…I’ve met (and had the fortune of partnering) with some great shooters and amazing human beings. I look forward to seeing the people. Its like going to training with a huge group of GREAT friends! Seriously…if you’re on the fence…just do it….you’re going to have a great time and become a better shooter in the process!

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Wonderful feedback, guys. We really appreciate it and for sharing your experiences with others. It really confirms that all the effort we put into building these training packages is well worth the effort. And though we didn't need the reminder, it shows what superb friendships we have formed along the way.
    Great friends and great training is what it's all about and we look forward to more of both next year.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Guys, Thank you for the excellent feedback!! The gains everyone has made is outstanding and is truly motivating for us as instructors! Our goal is one thing and that is to make you better whatever that takes but that cannot happen without the postivive attitude and will to succeed that everyone one of you has! Thank you for that! Ben

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    Wonderful feedback, guys. We really appreciate it and for sharing your experiences with others. It really confirms that all the effort we put into building these training packages is well worth the effort. And though we didn't need the reminder, it shows what superb friendships we have formed along the way.
    Great friends and great training is what it's all about and we look forward to more of both next year.
    all you need to do is get ben on board with the cleaning and things will be better than ever

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I had been working on an email to James and Ben, but have revised the below comments for all -
    ---
    This course was incredibly well executed - my enthusiasm ranks right up there with my post-course excitement following the first basic course attended. I have added a whole bunch of Surefire hardware to my Amazon list prior to Christmas - fingers crossed! Now, not that the second time at the basic course was in any way lacking, but attending the same course twice was more like watching a good movie a second time - you still enjoy all your favorite parts, but there’s not usually a whole lot of surprises.

In retrospect I had far more stoppages, problems, etc. crop up than any other session before, and I’ll want to take a closer look at my equipment to see if there’s an underlying issue. Probably due to picking up live ammo that had already been chambered and re-adding them to top-off my mags, I noticed that on many occasions the bullets were significantly recessed in the casing - as if those rounds were clearly not sufficiently crimped (This was NIB Blazer Brass, folks). Next course, I will be shipping my own reloads – sure, one .380 case may make it in to a load of 2000 (my only malfunction last course), but at least I won’t be at the whim of a manufacturer having a bad batch. I’m disappointed in that I felt I did my due diligence with Blazer to know that it’s produced on the same line as Federal and CCI, and had no reason to believe it was junk. As far as pistol work, due to my travels and switching jobs in last year I hadn’t touched my VP9 since my prior TT course – which clearly showed in my own performance. True, I didn’t shoot anyone’s eye out, but it was personally embarrassing, and I’ll work on that.

Let’s get to the actual course itself. I loved that we spent 97% on the firing line and 3% in lecture. Translating those topics to range exercises immediately was incredibly helpful, which is exactly why having a classroom so close to the range would be incredibly helpful. As someone who has a career in Information Technology, I will find a method to bring presentations closer to the field before our next class.

I will say that on the first night, when we first approached the car course after dark and the temperature and dew point were the same – that mental picture will live indelibly in my mind. The entire course of fire was encased in fog, and everything else was darkness. It was as if the entire bay was a painting, and if my phone would have still had an ounce of charge in it, the greatest of Instagram images would have been captured. Regardless, Al and Sean’s run of the course which was indeed captured by video and was equally amazing. I stood far back on the rock pile as they ran the course and saw random lights, heard automatic fire, and the unmistakable plink of metal targets being struck – an HK symphony. It was be-a-utiful.

As mentioned, I work in IT, and when you’re a customer of such services the first and sometimes the only question they ask is “would you recommend us to a friend?”

Well, after having to make some last-minute flight arrangements on Sunday, I added a few costs up. $525 for the course, $400 in ammo, $375 for the hotel room, $175 - rental car, $250 for the flight to and from KC, and $275 in meals, parking and incidentals - my course attendance is right at a $2000 for two days - without the additional $200 for canceling my United return flight and paying to fly back Southwest due to weather, as I was going to be stuck in DC overnight on Sunday otherwise. I do acknowledge, for a lot of that, I can throw in soft-costs. I can ship my own reloaded ammo, use points for my United/Southwest flights, and the same for my Marriott Courtyard stays. But those adjustments do not overwhelmingly sway that number.

Returning to the previous question, “would I recommend TT to a friend – is it worth it?”

With absolute certainty schedule permitting, I can say that:

I *will* attend the next HK Rifle course with my G36 conversion and 53-clone as a backup.
    I *will* attend the next Pistol Course immediately preceding said rifle course.
    I *will* attend the next Advanced MP5/UMP course.

Sure, I could use those funds to buy an HK91. Or I could procure a B&T ACP-9 - and those would be a pleasure to shoot. But there's only one course open to us civi's on this continent - and it's brought to you by James, Ben, Frontline, Scheetz, and thusfar amazing weather. Sign up, and I'll see you nexst time...
    Last edited by jt15550; 11-23-2016 at 04:03 AM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post

I also found some less than positives as well; the USP is not the sidearm to use....
    Could you expound on this please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links