Like Tree22Likes
  • 9 Post By Marine0303
  • 4 Post By chuckster62
  • 4 Post By TigerEye77
  • 5 Post By HKSIGslinger
  • 1 Post By Marine0303
  • 4 Post By Whiskey09
  • 4 Post By Clyde

Thread: After Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Default After Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course

Well, I have to say that I’ve provided a great amount of training courses over the last two year and a half years, but this one was both especially fun and unique. For those who missed out on it and for those great guys who attended, here is a roll up of the event.

First off, I must make a shameless plug for our sponsors, Bojangles and Sheetz. It’s not a training course without Bojangles biscuits for breakfast and Sheetz snack to satisfy our inner fat boy with snacks.

Paul, my friend and owner of Frontline Defense, the location of so many of our previous courses, graciously invited us back to his range to provide this course. Many thanks, again. If you’re on the east coast and into long range shooting, www.frontlinedefenseusa.com has exceptional capability.

Since we had last been there, Paul had made improvements to many of the individual range bays, but also had built a new club house, complete with a private classroom. This provided a great site for the first part of our course, the P7 Armorer training. As the weather was extremely hot, the fact that this classroom was air conditioned was also greatly appreciated.

When I arrived, the class had already formed, and to my surprise had coordinated to wear Magnum PI themed outfits, complete with mustaches. They even got Ben to dress up like Higgins, including knee high socks and long shorts. For the Magnum PI fan, this was just too funny.

Training began with the history and design of the P7 series and then answering questions on ammunition, parts and maintenance. Then we dove right into the procedures for disassembly and reassembly. I broke these in to small chunks, bringing the students up to the main table to show them a specific step or two in the process and then sending them back to their tables to complete it themselves.

As the pistols are very different from anything else they had experience with before, and requiring several special tools, floating around to help each student in the process was required.

In order for them to gain confidence and proficiency on the process, we went through each step of a few times. Then for a graduation exercise they each did a complete disassembly and reassembly with function check.

With the Armorer training complete, we moved onto one of the flat ranges and began our Operator training with a series of drills specifically designed to rapidly build the fundamentals of stance, grip, eyes and trigger.

Then we brought out the dreaded timer and conducted reload drill and draw drills, starting slow, building smoothness, and with smoothness, then building speed.

We wrapped up the evening with a set of specific skill drill under time, and conducted individually. These were designed to capture all of the topics covered in the training and push the students for distance, time and accuracy.

I have to say that it was quite impressive and humbling to work with such superb group of students. Some were new faces, others were old friends who have attended previous courses of mine, while others I had only known, until this point, by their user name here on HK Pro, Instagram, or Facebook. All of them had traveled some distance, with several flying in from the other side of the country and another driving over 9 hours from Kentucky. And to the man, each of them was not just a “HK Fan Boy”, but instead a “true believer”. That reference is towards the uniqueness of the P7 series itself; a weapon designed from the ground up with a singular purpose. It’s a weapon unlike any other, that when you understand the “why behind its form, function and operation” outperforms all others. That reference is also towards a group of individuals who are committed to learn and train; who know that there are some skills that can only be gained by stepping outside the comfortable rut of homeostasis and pushing themselves mentally and physically.

With as busy as my life has become, finding the opportunity to coordinate this course was challenging, just as it was for the students to be able to attend it, but the end result, being able to pass on this knowledge and share in the fun, made it completely worth it. So, I thank all of you attending and I look forward to the next time to train with you all.

P.S. Thanks again for Tim picking up the dinner tab. As soon as I can get the “special tool” made for each of you, I’ll give you guys a shout to confirm your shipping addresses.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

James,
    So bummed I missed this opportunity. I am definitely in for your next P7 armorer/operator course (should you offer one) whenever that is.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

This was a truly challenging course. we started at 8:00 AM and did not leave the range until almost 8:00 PM. Someone needs to tell James minimum wage went up. A lot of bang for your buck. I have never trained with a P7 series gun, it was eye opening. The heat and humidity kicked my A$$. We all had a great time the pace was fast as James was combining the Armor course with a Combat training course in one day. I got to meet friends that I only PM'd over the years. Not a lot of time to chit chat, only when we were reloading mags. We all became more proficient with our P7's and relished in learning how to work on these amazing guns. Well worth the trip from Calif. for Tim, Kevin and myself. Looking forward to the next class, if there is interest James will put one together for a different platform. Sign me up.After Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_9368.jpg Plus a HK Armors Puck not in photo.
    Last edited by chuckster62; 07-02-2018 at 06:29 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster62 View Post
    This was a truly challenging course. we started at 8:00 AM and did not leave the range until almost 8:00 PM. Someone needs to tell James minimum wage went up. A lot of bang for your buck. I have never trained with a P7 series gun, it was eye opening. The heat and humidity kicked my A$$. We all had a great time the pace was fast as James was combining the Armor course with a Combat training course in one day. I got to meet friends that I only PM'd over the years. Not a lot of time to chit chat, only when we were reloading mags. We all became more proficient with our P7's and relished in learning how to work on these amazing guns. Well worth the trip from Calif. for Tim, Kevin and myself. Looking forward to the next class, if there is interest James will put one together for a different platform. Sign me up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9368.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	209062 Plus a HK Armors Puck not in photo.
    Very well said, Chuck. Looking back on Saturday; the travel (11 hours for me from IN), the heat, the challenging training, etc., I would do it again in a heartbeat. To learn and train with James (and Ben) was an experience and blessing I will never forget. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I can totally disassemble and reassemble my P7 with total confidence. The live-fire training taught me the skills I need to be proficient (Thanks James and Ben for your patience and drive). It was great to spend the day with such a class group of guys. Also, Frontline Defense is a fantastic facility, thank you. As you said Chuck, sign me up for the next class!
    Last edited by TigerEye77; 07-02-2018 at 02:11 PM.

PROUD ASA MEMBER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's very hard to put this experience into words. For me this was my first all the way around. First pistol course & first armorer course of any kind and boy was I impressed. James' expertise on the P7 series as well as his training is top notch folks. I'm sure most are already aware. As someone who is basically a "self-taught" shooter it was great to work with someone who truly knows their stuff. It was a true pleasure working with you sir and as I told you the next day I was able to perform disassembly & reassembly of my P7M8 when I returned to my hotel. For those who are believers in the P7 and share a passion for the weapon system this course is a must, a bucket list opportunity. I could go on but I really can not put this experience into words. My excitement and satisfaction even thinking about it today is off the chart. Thank you for also being patient with me during the armorer course. I was having a difficult time wrapping my mind around everything at first. This was money well spent. I also joined James & Ben for the Zenith demo on Sunday. Thank you for extending the invite to us all. It was also great to work with Ben, I can't leave him out! Take care guys!

After Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8438.jpgAfter Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8439.jpgAfter Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8440.jpgAfter Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8441.jpgAfter Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8357.jpgAfter Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8368.jpgAfter Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8367.jpgAfter Action Report: June 2018 Teufelshund Tactical P7 Armorer/Operator Course-img_8359.jpg
    Last edited by HKSIGslinger; 07-02-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    HK addict in constant search for a cure.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

And for those who missed our Zenith Firearms Demo Day that followed on Sunday, here you go:

https://zenithfirearms.com/videos/?v...ideo=278049893
    Dbealmear likes this.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I as well had a blast. It was a long and hot day but well worth it. James and Ben were very professional and patient altering a couple almost 40 year bad habits with grip etc and improved my handling of the p7. It was my first time shooting from a holster and it definitely took a little getting used to. I would recommend anyone that respects anc loves the P7 to jump at this course if ever offered again. It was great to meet everyone and shake Chucks hand after many years and pms on Pro. Thanks again for a great day.
    Jay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I stumbled across the class on Facebook and could not get signed up fast enough. It was obvious from the start the class was going to be full of enthusiasts, group emails started quickly. The uniform for the Day - Hawaiian Shirts and fake mustaches and don't tell James.
    The classroom portion of the class was full of great information, guidance and hands on Time. I just could not get over all the P7's in one room. I would guess 20 Plus in total including backup guns........ - The classroom time was worth the trip - knowledge gained will be invaluable for maintenance and future Purchases......

Next came the Safety Briefing and Range time.........
    James and Ben set the tone fairly quickly, and the skill building began.... not sure on the round count thinking 400 to 500. Enjoyed the range time, lots of drills for a "Half Day format". James and Ben were able to complete individual drill assessments and provide recommendations for each member of the class due to the small class size. Very Helpful.....

The only down side of the class was it was June 30th in North Carolina. Hot, Hot, Hot - Mother nature almost Won....

Smile Often,

Clyde
    Last edited by Clyde; 07-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Your best weapon is between your ears, always keep it loaded.

Sponsored Links