Like Tree57Likes

Thread: TPM Bad Experience

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Attachment 254656Attachment 254658Attachment 254660Attachment 254662

See the misalignment between the magazine and grip.

All pictures except for the one of the rear sight are from before, everything is unchanged now aside from the cocking handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    These images are of the cocking handle area post repair.
    You can see it still makes contact and barely has room for the handle to work properly.

EDIT: changed images, accidentally just reuploaded the last ones on the first try.
    Attachment 254668Attachment 254670
    Thanks for the pictures--- unacceptable!!!

Tony
    Hayk likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

A response from @TPMoutfitters is warranted--- not just when someone praises their work!!!

Tony
    Hayk likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just saw that post in the thread below mine as well. A little contradictory to the work I received.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I'm not one to badmouth small businesses like this, and have kept my experience to myself for years, but I feel I should chime in. I have had a TPM MP5SD SBR that I purchased from them probably about 4 years ago that had QC issues from day one. I will say the gun functioned fine right out of the box, and I was using it as a full auto sear host with great results as well.

My first issue I had was that the claw mount cuts were never made in the receiver, so a standard optic claw mount would not attach. Their response was that they don't make these cuts unless the customer specifically requests them, but If I sent the SBR back, they'd correct it at no charge.

My next concern was that the bolt gap was reading .004 on a brand new gun, way less that it should be. Their response - they purposely set their guns to a low bolt gap because it'll run better with a sear. (That response seemed like total BS to me).

My last concern at the time was that where the receiver rails stop at the trunnion, there was a open gap on either side. If you shined a flashlight into the receiver, light would shine through where it wasn't sealed properly (see pics). Their response - this is common and should not be a concern, the gun will function fine like this (which is does).

I sent the gun back to them so they could at least make the claw mount cuts, so I could add an optic. Turn around was quick and I got an email from them saying they added the cuts and tested it with a claw mount to confirm fitment. When I got the gun back, I saw that they did a total hack job adding cuts to the receiver and NONE of my claw mounts fit properly. That is the only thing they attempted to fix, other than putting a new coat of finish on the receiver, which easily flaked off when I tried to add my claw mount.

At this point I was frustrated and just decided to live it as is and not use an optic on it. I brought it to the range to zero it for the first time and had to max adjust the windage of the rear sight all the way to the right in order to get a proper zero. I assume the rear sight base was not welded on correctly. This was another huge disappointment for me.

I will say that the gun has functioned fine over the years and has served as a good sear host, but for the price I paid, I expected top tier quality. I am now most concerned about the low bolt gap for long term use. I'll probably send it out to Dakota Tactical to see if Joe can work his magic to get these problems corrected, but I honestly cringe at the thought of dumping more money into this already expensive SBR.

I'm not trying to bash TPM, but I did give them a chance to fix the issues - they did not deliver on my expectations. See the pictures below...

Last edited by LRM19k; 03-21-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    Hayk likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Apprentices are completing the new work orders!!!

Tony
    That would be unfortunate.
    "We do bad things to bad people".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont View Post
    That would be unfortunate.
    We are not using any apprentices we apologize for the issues and would like a chance to fix them properly, there is no excuse for those issues if you would please email us we would like to try and fix it or pay to have another builder fix it if your not comfortable with us.
    Thanks
    Matt
    Anopstyx, Hayk, Lamont and 2 others like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LRM19k View Post
    I'm not one to badmouth small businesses like this, and have kept my experience to myself for years, but I feel I should chime in. I have had a TPM MP5SD SBR that I purchased from them probably about 4 years ago that had QC issues from day one. I will say the gun functioned fine right out of the box, and I was using it as a full auto sear host with great results as well.

My first issue I had was that the claw mount cuts were never made in the receiver, so a standard optic claw mount would not attach. Their response was that they don't make these cuts unless the customer specifically requests them, but If I sent the SBR back, they'd correct it at no charge.

My next concern was that the bolt gap was reading .004 on a brand new gun, way less that it should be. Their response - they purposely set their guns to a low bolt gap because it'll run better with a sear. (That response seemed like total BS to me).

My last concern at the time was that where the receiver rails stop at the trunnion, there was a open gap on either side. If you shined a flashlight into the receiver, light would shine through where it wasn't sealed properly (see pics). Their response - this is common and should not be a concern, the gun will function fine like this (which is does).

I sent the gun back to them so they could at least make the claw mount cuts, so I could add an optic. Turn around was quick and I got an email from them saying they added the cuts and tested it with a claw mount to confirm fitment. When I got the gun back, I saw that they did a total hack job adding cuts to the receiver and NONE of my claw mounts fit properly. That is the only thing they attempted to fix, other than putting a new coat of finish on the receiver, which easily flaked off when I tried to add my claw mount.

At this point I was frustrated and just decided to live it as is and not use an optic on it. I brought it to the range to zero it for the first time and had to max adjust the windage of the rear sight all the way to the right in order to get a proper zero. I assume the rear sight base was not welded on correctly. This was another huge disappointment for me.

I will say that the gun has functioned fine over the years and has served as a good sear host, but for the price I paid, I expected top tier quality. I am now most concerned about the low bolt gap for long term use. I'll probably send it out to Dakota Tactical to see if Joe can work his magic to get these problems corrected, but I honestly cringe at the thought of dumping more money into this already expensive SBR.

I'm not trying to bash TPM, but I did give them a chance to fix the issues - they did not deliver on my expectations. See the pictures below...
    DT declined to fix mine.
    I also have a gap in those areas large enough to leak lubricant, and would not achieve proper bolt gap on a 100 degree locking piece and MAD bolt, luckily an 80 degree worked.
    The optic rail business is worrying as I tried mounting a B&T mount on mine before the MLI and it seemed like it wasnt grabbing properly at all. This is my first rollerlock and I dont really know what exactly is normal/expected.
    Last edited by Hayk; 03-22-2020 at 12:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TPMoutfitters View Post
    We are not using any apprentices we apologize for the issues and would like a chance to fix them properly, there is no excuse for those issues if you would please email us we would like to try and fix it or pay to have another builder fix it if your not comfortable with us.
    Thanks
    Matt
    Im willing to give you one more shot at it, will get in touch.
    Last edited by Hayk; 03-22-2020 at 12:52 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Call Jeff at PCS. Get it fixed , sell it and buy a MKE or SP5K. I had a clone K model built before MKE or HK started building them. It costs more to build one than buy one today. I will say I own a TPM MP5SD suppressor that I am 100% satisfied with. Not sure what happened to your build.
    Last edited by ybnqskp; 03-22-2020 at 01:31 AM.
    Zhivoder, AGG and JokerOne like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ybnqskp View Post
    Call Jeff at PCS. Get it fixed , sell it and buy a MKE or SP5K. I had a clone K model built before MKE or HK started building them. It costs more to build one than buy one today. I will say I own a TPM MP5SD suppressor that I am 100% satisfied with. Not sure what happened to your build.
    What he said. My PCS G3K (I know, not the same) is beautifully done and functions like a German sewing machine.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links