HK Mr556 to 416 remarking/conversion - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: HK Mr556 to 416 remarking/conversion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrams View Post
    Alright so as @Nzfly stated NF will do the anodizing, however for them to work on it they need SN, MFG name, MFG city & state engraved on it. They also said that the reanodizing will not cover the original trademarks. So what we could do to get around that is have it media blasted and engrave the original SN, MFG name, MFG city & state on the receiver grip tang (tsc does this to theirs) then send it to NF for anodizing. They mentioned that they will engrave whatever (i did not ask about the 416 marks only the selector pictographs) Personally as stated before, i have access to a laser engraver and the files (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/848nx0nf1...HRaUpFfUlUUtAa ) so i will then engrave the 416 markings after its anodized. Important notice to those interested in turning it into an SBR is you have to Form 1 it AFTER you remark it.

*Ive found a place that will do the engraving portion. Since apparently we are being hush hush about this stuff, send me a PM if you're interested
    What do you mean you have to form 1 it after your remark it?
    Regardless what you put on it, its still an MR556

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdan87 View Post
    What do you mean you have to form 1 it after your remark it?
    Regardless what you put on it, its still an MR556
    Cant alter a title 2 weapon

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-t...-form-1-a.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/R...___/51-466346/
    Only the serial number is legally protected on a Title I firearm (unless additional local laws protect other markings). You may grind/mill/Tig-weld the other markings away. You may then remark.
    All markings are protected on a Title II firearm. That's why you have to change them before applying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anodizing and laser etching is no different than cerakote etc. Its decorative.
    The SN is stamped on the grip tang and isn't altered during the anodizing process.

Link to ATF/NFA ruling?
    I'm beleive there is not one, because this is the first ive heard this saying you can't alter a title II firearm...when you can.
    Last edited by dangerdan87; 01-04-2019 at 11:36 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdan87 View Post
    Well, who wants a business to stop doing what we want to do because another company makes them stop?
    Do your research and cold call/email and keep quiet about it. We ruin ourselves.

Or dish out several thousands of dollars and DIY
    LOL! Do you speak for yourself or for the company you used to do your makings in which you feel that the work you had done was oh so "exclusive" for crying out loud these folks are here looking for a common service offered by "MANY" companies and vendors out there. Sounds as if you would be the only person getting ruined so yeah keep up with the cold calls and emails, and keep real quiet about it. LOLLLL!

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbrams View Post
    Cant alter a title 2 weapon

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-t...-form-1-a.html

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/R...___/51-466346/
    Only the serial number is legally protected on a Title I firearm (unless additional local laws protect other markings). You may grind/mill/Tig-weld the other markings away. You may then remark.
    All markings are protected on a Title II firearm. That's why you have to change them before applying.
    An argument could be made that you can. ATF has ruled (and put in the NFA handbook), that if you return a weapon to title I status (in this case, but putting a 16 inch barrel on it, or removing the barrel), that it is no longer subject to the NFA. Of course, this is much easier to do on an AR15 than some other platforms.

YMMV.

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Remaking your MR556 before you form 1 it is an absolute must. Yes it is silly, but that’s how it goes. You can’t remark it afterward. Info on form needs to match your gun.

Also. As some have indicated before. Do NOT send any new work to Jayson at IGF. Feel free to PM as to why.
    Last edited by Oicani; 01-04-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The original HK laser etching isnt even deep enough for firearms marking by the books. The laser etching is meaningless.
    The roll marks/stamping on the grip tang is the proper firearm data, which is unaltered in any coating process.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    An argument could be made that you can. ATF has ruled (and put in the NFA handbook), that if you return a weapon to title I status (in this case, but putting a 16 inch barrel on it, or removing the barrel), that it is no longer subject to the NFA. Of course, this is much easier to do on an AR15 than some other platforms.

YMMV.
    This. As further evidence of this concept, this is how semi 416’s made their way from Title II to Title I.

911TT

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

So if the Brownell's BRN-4 is re-stamped to "416 D" would you use that as the model designation in your Form 1? Or still use BRN-4?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkduder View Post
    So if the Brownell's BRN-4 is re-stamped to "416 D" would you use that as the model designation in your Form 1? Or still use BRN-4?
    BRN-4
    You use the model of the receiver you are using. If you are SBRing your own receiver (i.e. 80% to 100%), you can name it whatever you want.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links