HKPRO Forums banner

HK Mr556 to 416 remarking/conversion

10K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  CaptRex 
#1 ·
Looking to do a remarking of a MR556 Lower to a 416. I know others have done this in the past and was wondering who they used or how they did it. I know TSC does them however im not thrilled with the idea of cerakoting it, does any do it with anodizing?

#2 ·
I looking to do the EXACT same thing. I'm waiting for Jayson from IGF have availability, but he doesn't look to be slowing down anything soon with the 416 conversations he's doing. I just want my lower remarked and the FA selector markings on both sides, so the only way you can distinguish my lower from a a true 416 is the "241-" S/N and the lack of a 3rd pin.

#4 ·
I’d stay away from IGF right now. Word is, he’s not responding to calls or emails and has had guns for months or a year+ in some cases.

Do your own research, but that’s what I’ve been told.

#17 · (Edited)
Alright so as @Nzfly stated NF will do the anodizing, however for them to work on it they need SN, MFG name, MFG city & state engraved on it. They also said that the reanodizing will not cover the original trademarks. So what we could do to get around that is have it media blasted and engrave the original SN, MFG name, MFG city & state on the receiver grip tang (tsc does this to theirs) then send it to NF for anodizing. They mentioned that they will engrave whatever (i did not ask about the 416 marks only the selector pictographs) Personally as stated before, i have access to a laser engraver and the files (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/848nx0nf1x1lb96/AAAkTrXJPjxHRaUpFfUlUUtAa ) so i will then engrave the 416 markings after its anodized. Important notice to those interested in turning it into an SBR is you have to Form 1 it AFTER you remark it.

#23 · (Edited)
Anodizing and laser etching is no different than cerakote etc. Its decorative.
The SN is stamped on the grip tang and isn't altered during the anodizing process.

Link to ATF/NFA ruling?
I'm beleive there is not one, because this is the first ive heard this saying you can't alter a title II firearm...when you can.

#26 · (Edited)
Remaking your MR556 before you form 1 it is an absolute must. Yes it is silly, but that’s how it goes. You can’t remark it afterward. Info on form needs to match your gun.

Also. As some have indicated before. Do NOT send any new work to Jayson at IGF. Feel free to PM as to why.

#38 ·
I remarked my Hk94 to MP5N. No where knob my form does it say HK94. If I ever get around to do a HK416 remark, it will say Model HK416 on the form. Pretty plain and simple and otherwise is just someone’s bad call on how to fill our your Forms.

#48 · (Edited)
Here's what I find confusing:

1. I see people marking 80% clone 416's with S/N's that appear to be copies of actual HK416 serials (e.g. 88-xxxxxx). This raises the question, how does one know a serial number is "unique"? Or does it just have to be unique to each manufacturer?

2. Similarly, these clones appear to lack the "true" manufacturer's name and location.

My understanding is neither of these are issues on a 80% build until it becomes a Title I or II, is that correct? However, most of these clones I've seen are SBR's so they must be Title II's. So I assume they were registered as "HK416, Heckler & Koch, Made in Germany, S/N: 88-xxxxxx"???

This all makes my head hurt...

Reference:

ATF Rul. 2013-3
1. The manufacturer, importer, or maker must legibly and conspicuously place on the
frame, receiver, barrel, or pistol slide (if applicable) his/her own name (or
recognized abbreviation) and location (city and State, or recognized abbreviation of
the State) as specified under his/her Federal firearms license (if a licensee);
2. The serial number adopted must have been marked in accordance with 27 CFR
478.92 and 479.102, including that it must not duplicate any serial number adopted
or placed by the manufacturer, importer, or maker on any other firearm;

#49 ·
Here's what I find confusing:

1. I see people marking 80% clone 416's with S/N's that appear to be copies of actual HK416 serials (e.g. 88-xxxxxx). This raises the question, how does one know a serial number is "unique"? Or does it just have to be unique to each manufacturer?

2. Similarly, these clones appear to lack the "true" manufacturer's name and location.

My understanding is neither of these are issues on a 80% build until it becomes a Title I or II, is that correct? However, most of these clones I've seen are SBR's so they must be Title II's. So I assume they were registered as "HK416, Heckler & Koch, Made in Germany, S/N: 88-xxxxxx"???

This all makes my head hurt...
Answers reflect Fed Law, your state may vary:

1) Unique SN only applies to each maker/MFG. I can use "12345" and so can you since we are different makers.

2) Homemade Title I firearms do not require markings of any kind.

3) If it is Title II, it needs to have the maker/mfg on it. Nothing wrong with it having additional markings. For example, if you have a MR556 and you SBR it, it will have the HK/MR556 markings and your Title II markings most likely.

#51 ·
Just came across this thread... I am in a somewhat parallel project. I have a BRN4 lower and was interested in having the HK416 engraving done, but I am not having any success finding an engraver that has done the work before.

I understand this can be sensitive info, but I would really be grateful if someone could PM me a good engraver that can/willing to do the work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.