Zenith full auto host conversion - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Zenith full auto host conversion

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doc diel View Post
    My biggest problem with zenith is the lack of communication, so I'm looking for another capable smith.
    I have inquired with both the customer service rep and our Armory rep to see if there was any communication requests recently regarding full auto conversions and they were not able to produce anything that was not responded to. As I'm sure your real name is not "doc diel", I can't dig any further into an email search. The Zenith team is happy to talk with you anytime you would like to call in, and staring at the customer service rep right now, he is available to take your call.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    The removal of the receiver block is completed. Then either a full auto bolt carrier is swapped in or the semi-auto carrier is welded (customer's choice). The lack of "sear ready", like it is with the SP5K is an import restriction; "other clones out there" don't have to contend with import restrictions.
    So they leave the front push pin as is?

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LRM19k View Post
    So they leave the front push pin as is?
    The push pin is already part of the weapon approval. The semi auto shelf is still in place.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I received this in Oct of 2018, emailed again probably a month or two ago, no response.

Thank you for contacting us. Regarding your Z-5RS, we’d be happy to refinish your Z-5RS and install a rail. Can you tell me what you’re looking for exactly (ie picatinny optics rail for the top of the receiver, or a handguard with a rail)? Right now, we’re on hold with the full-auto host conversions. Approximately 2 ½ or 3 months ago, we submitted a formal letter to the BATFE asking whether the modifications necessary for the conversion would change the pistol classification of the receiver to a machine gun (which would prevent us from offering the service). We’re hopeful that we will hear back from them soon, indicating that we can offer the service while maintaining the pistol classification.

Once I hear back from you regarding the rail question, I’d be happy to provide you with an estimate for that and refinishing with HK Black DuraCoat SL.

Thank you,

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That is not an entirely accurate statement.
    At Zenith, when conducting full auto conversions for customers, it is "recommended" that they provide the registered sear or trigger pack. The reason being is that, converting a semi auto trigger pack to fully automatic or even mounting a registered trigger pack to a receiver is all about "timing". The goal is to ensure that the sear/pack work perfectly with the host gun. Without having the necessary item present for fitting, function check and test fire, they cannot guarantee that. It would be like asking a mechanic to prepare your car for a turbo charger without providing him the exact turbo charger. He'll probably get it done correctly, but don't you want him to make sure its right before you get your car back and head out on the highway? Do you want to have to take it back in for a second attempt?
    This issue can be further complicated when the owner may have other host weapons they intend to use the new sear pack or current registered pack with, which is very common with HK roller delayed blowback designs. Significant deviations exist across different manufacturers of roller delayed weapons with how the trigger pack/group is actually mounted to the receiver because of the dimension of the semi auto shelf or other slight deviations in the receiver itself. In those cases, having the additional host receiver(s) can be helpful. Sometimes things work great across all platforms, other times slight modifications need to be made. Other times simple fixes, where just using a dedicated trigger housing for each host gun (fitted to the receiver) and dropping the sear pack in and out of each, is the best solution.
    Regardless, Zenith's goal, and any company's goal, is to make sure that the service is effective. Thus, the recommendation to provide all associated parts that will be part of the conversion. In the end though, its up to the customer.
    That's not how you explained it in the beginning.

Our weapons already have the semi-auto shelf. Its a BATFE requirement. In order to convert a weapon for use with a full auto trigger pack, we need to have that trigger pack. The fitment is crucial, being off just a bit with the housing or pack can prevent the weapon from functioning properly.
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/zenith-f...om-shop-2.html

I was going off what you had said before. If zenith is willing to do the work without it now its a far better setup.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Give James a little slack guys. Working with ATF is not always a clear, concise and timely process... I for one am thankful Zenith has listened to its customers and invested the time to "navigate the waters" and ultimately offer a conversion of the original import design. Imagine... a F/A capable firearm for use with NFA registered sears and packs that maintains the original MKE pushpin w/ shelf configuration. The future benefits of this style host configuration being approved could be a significant developement to all of us, but I'll save those thoughts for sometime down the road.
    Last edited by rickj1nd; 05-16-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    Marine0303 and gt40doc like this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rickj1nd View Post
    Give James a little slack guys. Working with ATF is not always a clear, concise and timely process... I for one am thankful Zenith has listened to its customers and invested the time to "navigate the waters" and ultimately offer a conversion of the original import design. Imagine... a F/A capable firearm for use with NFA registered sears and packs that maintains the original MKE pushpin w/ shelf configuration. The future benefits of this style host configuration being approved could be a significant developement to all of us, but I'll save those thoughts for sometime down the road.
    I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, I'm just trying to confirm what is the appropriate way to convert these guns to sear hosts. I bought a Zenith back in 2015 or 2016 when the first came out and ended up selling it due to the fact that no one could give a straight answer on how to legally convert it to a sear host, other than plugging the front pin hole and welding on a US style wrap around shelf. After all these years I would of thought they'd figure out a work-around, which they apparently they have now, but I have yet to see a letter from the ATF confirming that it's okay to remove the carrier block and still retain the front pin hole.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LRM19k View Post
    I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, I'm just trying to confirm what is the appropriate way to convert these guns to sear hosts. I bought a Zenith back in 2015 or 2016 when the first came out and ended up selling it due to the fact that no one could give a straight answer on how to legally convert it to a sear host, other than plugging the front pin hole and welding on a US style wrap around shelf. After all these years I would of thought they'd figure out a work-around, which they apparently they have now, but I have yet to see a letter from the ATF confirming that it's okay to remove the carrier block and still retain the front pin hole.
    ================================================== =============================================

I spoke with a couple guys on the Zenith booth at the NRA show and got the distinct impression that the letter(s)? currently at the ATF are asking for a
    ruling that removing the carrier block and doing nothing in the area of the mag well is permissible.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Settled the issue today with BATFE. No full auto conversions authorized for use with registered sear/pack on Zenith Firearms roller delayed blowback line of weapons. The offering of that service has been removed from the Zenith Firearms website.
    SF,

James

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Some can’t leave well enough alone....
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links