PTR 91 Barrel swap

Thread: PTR 91 Barrel swap

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR 91 Barrel swap

Hi gang

Long story short;
    I bought a PTR-91F back in 2012 while I was living in Connecticut that had to have a muzzle brake pinned and welded. The weld job was shotty and there is an evident malformation in the rifling by the muzzle from it.
    In 2013 Connecticut passed a new AWB and required my gun be registered with the state police which I did.
    I have since moved to NH and don't ever plan on moving back to CT, but being as I have the paperwork for the gun for that state, I don't just want to sell it and buy a PTR-GI model.

I happened to come across a surplus Enfield RAF British G3 barrel that I'd like to have installed on the gun, mostly because I hate having the heavy barrel for handguard compatibility issues and because I'd like it to be milspec.

Does anyone know a reliable gunsmith that can do a barrel swap? Ghilliebear does not swap PTR barrels, Bill Springfield fuc*ed up the paddle-job I paid for him to do and damaged my receiver, and now IGF is hanging out with the alphabet-boys so I am running out of ideas of who I can contact for the job.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Curious about the barrel markings on the English barrel you have. Any chance of some pics?

Have you asked dakota tactical about a barrel repress?
    There is alwasay getting the tools and doing yourself as well. May not be the answer you want to hear though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ralph at RDTS is a good smith at all things HK.

He has done several barrel changes for me.

Conelrad
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So ghillie won’t swap a barrel on a Ptr gun? But will build guns using contract parts ? Kind of funny if you ask me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socalmp5 View Post
    So ghillie won’t swap a barrel on a Ptr gun? But will build guns using contract parts ? Kind of funny if you ask me.
    Maybe Ghillie has experience rebarrelling one of theirs and will not make that mistake again? When an experienced Smith will not touch something by someone that is standard smith work it does send a message. Wondering if their bolt and locking peice spec issues might extend to trunnions? That would be disappointing.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll try RDTS.

Barrel came out of a 2005 inter ordnance surplus kit... barrel and trunnion both marked RSAF with -->S<-- stampings.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    Maybe Ghillie has experience rebarrelling one of theirs and will not make that mistake again? When an experienced Smith will not touch something by someone that is standard smith work it does send a message. Wondering if their bolt and locking peice spec issues might extend to trunnions? That would be disappointing.
    he believes that the trunnions are soft...softer than German or HK contract. He will swap out a barrel with the trunnion attached.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    --Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links