HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep seeing peopl posting about their 16 inch MRs but I can't find anything on the little big brothers. Anyone have any AARs on them at 400m and in?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've shot my 11" MR223 with iron sights @100m and it's as accurate as my SIG551 which has a 14ish inch barrel.

Tried the MR also with a 4x Elcan and could squeeze further accuracy out of it, with cheap ammo btw. I'm sure you can challenge traditional longer guns also at 300m.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
In the lot acceptance testing of the first batch of series production HK416D's with 10.5" heavy barrels (first model) firing 55 grain IMI BTHP ammo the one sample gun selected at random off an assembly cart shot 1MOA 5-shot groups at 100 meters from a firing fixture AFTER firing 12,000 and 15,000 rounds.
G3Kurz

·
Registered
430 Posts
1 MOA is very realistic for this gun at 100m, anything below would ultimately not justify the monetary premium and prestige it comes with.

Still curious for the performance at 300m though.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
I get about I MOA at 100 meters with mine, that is if I'm doing my part. I've not shot her out to 400 meters, but I have shot her to 200 and just short of 300. However, I've only shot a steel gong target at those ranges, for what it is worth, I can ring the gong (8" circle of steel) at will. I know that is not very exact, as and 8" inch steel plate is huge in comparison to the 1 MOA I get at 100.

Oh, mine has the heavy full profile barrel from Germany. And that is shooting from a rest with a EoTech XPS (I don't want to hear it, I already know, EoTech......).

Anyway, I know it is not the exact numbers you are looking for, but I hope it helps some.....

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
Back before I got hurt, I used one of our department 10.4" HK416s (AF model with heavy barrel) at a patrol rifle training class. With iron sights I was banging steel and shooting tight groups out to 200yards--EASILY. Everything I shot in that class was 55gr.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
I shot my AF 416 10.4" out to 300 yards last weekend at a Teufelhound Tactical Carbine Class. Dead on steal with Elcan SpectreDR 1-4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
HKPro Professional
733 Posts
Keep seeing peopl posting about their 16 inch MRs but I can't find anything on the little big brothers. Anyone have any AARs on them at 400m and in?
You probably won't see much feedback for 10.5" guns at 400m because most folks aren't shooting them for groups at that distance. We found Speer's 75 gr Gold Dot to be a consistent sub minute load at 100m from 10.5" 416's. Haven't tried it further, but I suspect the performance would still be acceptable.

Tspeis

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Black Hills 68gr HP.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
As Tspeis states, not shooting for groups at 300yrds but just for hits on steel. I was shooting 55gr NATO issue Federeal ammo. With that small of a barrel I'm not sniping, just listening for that wonderful "DING" and smiling when I hear it.

Steel was a torso and head steel target.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
It's Sunday morning, let's make this interesting....

Groups at 100y do not tell the complete tale of how a gun will shoot at distance.

As I said in another thread, you want to push a better (higher BC) bullet and faster if you can. 5.56 bullets aren't great in the BC department, so their speed is what helps save them. Out of a 10.4" gun you're losing that advantage. Can one hit at 400y...sure, but you've lost a lot of ballistic performance and are more at the mercy of the shooter and the external factors. If it were me, I would want to run something like Mk262 that has a good, predictable bullet and is loaded a little hotter, and I would want to have a can if possible.

I get that sometimes you have no other choice to use what you've got, but the rest of the time there's usually a better way...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts