HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at MR556s on GB, someone has a 14.5" model. What's the point of making it only 1.5" inches shorter?

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
CDI factor... if I have to explain that, you're in trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I don't see it either. I don't have a problem with wanting a 14.5" barrel, but it's easier and cheaper to just permanently attach a flash hider on it to get it up to 16", especially if you plan to have a flash hider on it anyway.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I don't see it either. I don't have a problem with wanting a 14.5" barrel, but it's easier and cheaper to just permanently attach a flash hider on it to get it up to 16", especially if you plan to have a flash hider on it anyway.
Personally I hate the permanent attached flash hiders as they make it difficult (or impossible) most of the time to use a can with it. Just my 2 cents but I see your point if you don't care about limiting suppressor options.

I love my 14.5'' Colt M4 (coolness factor over 16'') and if I had the cash to spend I would get a 14.5 416 upper to join it. But I guess for most people 16'' or attached flashhider is just simpler than dealing with the paperwork.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Personally I hate the permanent attached flash hiders as they make it difficult (or impossible) most of the time to use a can with it. Just my 2 cents but I see your point if you don't care about limiting suppressor options.

I love my 14.5'' Colt M4 (coolness factor over 16'') and if I had the cash to spend I would get a 14.5 416 upper to join it. But I guess for most people 16'' or attached flashhider is just simpler than dealing with the paperwork.
In my homestate of Iowa its not possible to get Form 4 exemptions...you'd have to go through and get a Class III LLC and an FFL...so I definately see the point and validity for some non NFA friendly states where we can't get these awesome toys for a reasonable tax stamp

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Purists for the win.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Kinda retarded to me as well. 12"? 10.5"? 9"? Great. 14.5" and a flash suppressor that makes it 16" anyway? Meh.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Why would you ever perm a muzzle device?
And why are you stuck on 16"?

A stamp costs $200 and all AR lowers should be SBR'd.

14.5 is the perfect length for an all around carbine.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
In my homestate of Iowa its not possible to get Form 4 exemptions...you'd have to go through and get a Class III LLC and an FFL...so I definately see the point and validity for some non NFA friendly states where we can't get these awesome toys for a reasonable tax stamp
Good point there. No Mgs no SBR, Iowa is really standing out for a mid-western state. I am feeling sorry for you guys

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're already paying the tax stamp to make it an sbr. You can always swap the 14.5" out for a different length.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Good point there. No Mgs no SBR, Iowa is really standing out for a mid-western state. I am feeling sorry for you guys
It is being addressed...just need to give the Iowa Firearms Coalition time to work its magic--they got Shall Issue passed...they have Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground on its way... in the meantime the list of "Can't wait for" items grows and grows

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
While the gains on a 14.5" is marginal, do run one on the M16 (no extra stamp needed), for the HK93 to run the G33 15.5" barrel one also needs to get a stamp for the extra 1/2 inch (hate permanent muzzle attachments as like being able to clean and use with suppressors).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Us poor suckers that live in NY must perm attach muzzle devices unless the gun is a pre ban. There is no such thing as SBR, Suppressor or full auto here in this part of the country unless your last name is Kennedy.

A lot of guys have 14.5" barrels with perm attached muzzle brakes to make it 16" overall considering it legal here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts