HKPRO Forums banner

168gr HPBT in PTR91s and V51s

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  stubbicatt 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried to fire 168gr HPBT in PTR91s and V51s? Does this heavier bullet cause more wear and tear than the normal 147 gr? Will these weapons cycle 168 gr properly?

#2 ·
The round will work in both. It's a waste in the 51. Shoot it, all will be fine.
Q: Why would you want to shoot such an expensive round in a 51?

#8 ·
Yup. And buying new brass everytime to load 308 would add even more cost. Most of the G3 types I've fired mangle the brass to badly to make it reloadable.

#9 · (Edited)
Buying in bulk of 1000 bullets saves a good bit over 100 at a time. I guess when you reload and go to public ranges, you become a brass rat. I have over 500pcs of 308 and near 1000pcs of 30'06.

When I go shoot, it's mainly my GM45 with hard cast bullets $90 shipped for 1000. The last time I bought 168gr HPBT, they were just under $200 for 1000 from Midway. I would get about 160 loads out of 1 pound of powder for 308s and only 96 for my 300WM.

Most of the G3 types I've fired mangle the brass to badly to make it reloadable
Can you flair the ejector port like those done to the 1911s? Makes a big difference in a pistol, went from dinging the mouth of the case to the brass not touching the slide at all upon ejection.

#10 ·
The port buffer is indispensible for the reloader. Other than the striations on the brass caused by the flutes in the chamber, and sometimes a nick in the rim from the extractor, no issues to report. Cases are readily reloadable, and don't require a whole lot of effort to full length resize, either. BTW, the RCBS X die is a great tool.

#12 ·
Stubbicatt are you speaking of a brass deflector or a buffer ?? if it saves brass what is it and were can I find one ?
Yes. That's it. There's one for sale in the "Parts and Accessories" portion of this BBS right now for $110, which is right reasonable. I think I saw one at sturmgewehr dot com also.

They are a good catch if you can find one. It marked up my receiver, but I don't care as it isn't coming off of there until I rebarrel, which is hopefully many thousands of rounds down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.