HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this USP 45 fullsize in my local gun shop's counter the other day and upon running the date code it was made in 1995. KF date code IIRC. Variant 1.

The finish on it is perfect. I don't think it's ever been holstered.

However, the sights on it are weird white dots with the front of the sights hollowed out. Kinda odd but no biggy, as I always switch to Trijicons.

The barrel on the other hand is the kicker. ALL of the black finish on top of the barrel is wore off, so it's been shot. A lot from what I can tell.

A new barrel is a must. Even the polygonal bore kinda looks worn down a bit but that could just be me.

They want $609 for it, but there's no effin way since a new barrel is $200.

Even at $500 + $200 barrel I'm at $130 less than a brand new one. Not sure if anything else would need to be replace in it (springs, etc..).

What do you all think.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
if the barrel is really that worn, what's to say that the internals are doing any better. I'd say get the new one.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Do you know what you're looking for in a polygonal barrel as far as wear? How much experience have you had with HK's and have you ever seen the inside of a brand new HK barrel?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Keep in mind that Todd G's testing at pistol-training.com ran 50K+ and 90K+ through an HK45 and a P30 respectively, I would doubt that that pistol needs a new barrel. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd get a new one or a better condition one off Gun Broker

·
Banned
188 Posts
I'd get a new one or a better condition one in 9mm off Gun Broker

·
Registered
866 Posts
The USP pistols back then (first year they came out plus a few after that) had the barrel hoods polished stainless. I had a 9mm & 40 S&W back around 1994-95 that had this from the factory.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If the owner is saying its new, I would believe him. When I bought my KE date code USP 9mm, my gun sounded a lot like yours and I dug through this site and the internet to try and learn more about it.

The older USP's stock sights were designed like that so that you could send them off to have tritium put in. All they would have to do is pop out the white filling and replace it.

Also a lot of barrels did not have the top of their locking blocks finished. It still has the protective coating, it is just not blued. I never found a real answer for this but I guess that HK figured it would wear eventually so why bother. They have changed their minds since then.

The old USP's shoot just as good as the newer ones, but the only problem is that if you want to put a match trigger or LEM kit in you will need to buy a few extra parts to bring it up to date.

As for the price, I paid $500 for mine about a year ago and it was like new(only had 100 rounds through it). $600 seems fair for what it is. Maybe go back and try to talk them down a bit or get them to throw something in to sweeten the deal. It couldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know what you're looking for in a polygonal barrel as far as wear? How much experience have you had with HK's and have you ever seen the inside of a brand new HK barrel?
Yeah I can look down the barrel of my USP-C .357sig and see crisp polygonal bore. Maybe this one was dirty to the point it made the bore look worn.

Still, for used ones going around $640 on here, might just wait unless I can talk him down $150 but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Get a used one from cdnn......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts