HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is sure to be the first of many (hopefully not annoying questions) about HK MGs. I am NOT new to the class 3 world; I have a few Colt M16s, Vector UZI, Ruger AC556 and a sweet Norrell 10/22 trigger pack.

But I am new to the HK transferable MG world. I've already figured out I probably want a Fleming or Qualified sear for the quality of the material and heat treatment. I also probably want a gun that is already built, because I don't want to wait a year or two on top of BATFE paperwork to get a gun.

I will eventually plan to do an MP5, MP5K, HK53 and maybe even an HK51 for giggles. But I need to start with a 9mm. At my local range, I can run it suppressed (thinking Gemtech Raptor). And with the M16s, I can already have 5.5 and 6.8SPC fun.

My question is should I start out with an MP5 or an MP5K? I understand quality of the conversion is paramount - but assuming a top quality build for either gun, does a K gun function as reliable as a full size?? This is important to me, because I hate MGs that jam. OK, with the Norrell, you have to settle for some jams.

Sorry for the long post - but again, does a K run as good as a full size MP5?? Any other considerations or things to think about??

Input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you get a quality build to put the sear in they should both run equally as good.It would simply be a choice of which you want.You cant go wrong either way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As rext said, it boils down to whatever you want. I started with the MP5K-PDW with a Fleming sear because of the pure cool factor of the more compact gun. Then I had Ralph at RDTS build one of my 94's into an MP5 SD-SBR. I just move the trigger pack between the guns. I also picked up a V53-SBR to move the trigger pack to also. The MP5K functions flawlessly. You can't go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
They both will run equally well. Only comment Id have is the MP5K has a much faster rate of fire and takes some practice to control. If I only had one it would be a standard MP5.

·
Registered
200 Posts
An MP5 by Vollmer was my 1st subgun, and still my favorite to shoot.
I have a number of H&K subguns, including 2- MP5K-PDWs and they shoot great, but not as well as the full size MP5.
JMHO, and my preference of the 2 weapons.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
One thing to consider is the SP89's legal status as a pistol. The sear can be removed without any NFA requirements. As we know, the sear removal (to use in another host) from an MP5 would require it's prior SBR registration. Like others have said it boils down to personal preference. However, this is one important legal distinction to consider.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would get MP5... MP5K has cool factor and indeed excellent choice but MP5 handles a little better for me.
To me ROF seems the same, I have seen somewhere that their ROF is identical... but I could be wrong.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,949 Posts
Actually a great question. I'd start with the MP5. The reduced rate of fire (it's still dang fast) will allow you to get much more familiar with the operation and deployment of the weapon. Assuming that you don't have a burst pack, you can learn how to do do singles, doubles, and triples without the gun running away from you. You can do it with a K, but it's easier to learn on the regular model.

Very quickly, especially if you do one of Pro's sub-gun classes, you will be able to control it like a fine surgical instrument. Just my 2 Kopeks...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Surprised I did not see this answer, but just find the best deal you can on a sear gun in either configuration (IMHO the way sears are priced, it does not really make sence to buy just a sear) and just get the other when ever you can save a little more money. Obviously, the sear is the expensive part these days. Hosts are out there and easy to find.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It depends on how you intend to use it. For fun shooting they are about the same. The "K" has the higher cool factor.

For subgun matches the full size gun has advantages.
The "K" runs about 100 RPM faster. Much harder to get 2 round bursts. If you mount optics the cocking lever is tight clearance. Beta drum gets close to the front grip. The MP5 just has more room making it easier to operate and control.

When all is said and done you will likely want one of each.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I started with a k-pdw for my sear. I added a #28 locking piece since I almost always run it with a can and found that it slowed the rate significantly and did not affect reliability when shooting unsuppressed. Unless you like the high ROF, I'd recommend the stiffer LP to anyone.

I now have a full size MP5 and MP5SD. I like each one for different reasons and I'd have a very hard time picking a favorite. I will say that of my entire gun collection, my sear and hosts are the absolute last that I will ever part with. I have the same MGs you have (minus the Ruger) and the Flemming sear is my hands down favorite. After becoming comfortable with the MP5, I find the Uzi and even the AR (with an assortment of 9mm uppers) less ergonomic and neither feel as good as the MP5s when firing. I also find that no subgun I have ever fired is as quiet as the MP5SD, and you can feed it any ammo you can find rather than having to hold out for subsonic. All of the MP5s are excellent silencer hosts, though.

Short answer, you will be fine with a k to start with. Just make sure that you budget for the other hosts, since you will want them anyway.

HTH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts