HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my HK45 and replaced it with a P30L. I loved the 45 - super accurate, 100% reliable, just didn't fit my hands very well. After a little mountain biking, my wife and I hit the range and shot 215rds through the P30L yesterday. 100 was WWB, 100 was my reload, and 15 was Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. My reloads are an attempt to match the WWB - FMJ 115gr, 5.0gr of Win231, 1.145 - 1.15 OAL. I had 5 issues: Stovepipe, 2 FTE, Double feed, FTF. Happened with both the WWB and reloads. I will say that even with 5.0gr of 231, they seemed just a TAD softer than the WWB; the brass was landing damn near at my feet. So it looks like I will have to either stock up on some Winchester NATO 124 gr, or up my reload strength a bit to break the mainspring in.

Other than that, it didn't seem quite as accurate for me as the HK45, which was a bit disappointing - I shot laser beams with the 45 right out of the box...but I also haven't shot in a couple of months, so more range time and practice is definitely needed. It does fit my hands great, and my wife shot it extremely well. Hope to update with positive progress-

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Congratulations on the acquire. I know what you mean about the HK45 being scary accurate, and I do beleive that the O ring has something to do with that. I never owned a P30 but I owned a P2000 and there was some "play" in the slide/barrell lockup but the barrel/slide lockup (at the muzzle) on my HK45c was non existent. It was as if my HK45c was had tolerances as tight as a 1911.

Stovepipes and FTE's have been known to happen with new P30's because of the stiff recoil spring. Some folks never have problems with 115 grain and some need a couple boxes of 124 grain to break it in. As far as the double feeds and FTF I cant say I heard about that happening with any HK's especially the new P30. Maybe those are problems stemming from your reloads? I don't know anything about reloading but can I ask if you're using quality primers? Maybe that's where your FTF's came from. Take that question with a grain of salt, cause like I said I really don't know much about reloading. Just asking.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
If the brass was landing at your feet, the loads might be to soft. I roll my own too and intentionally load soft ones for suppressed fire. I have worked up a load that is very soft. If I go too soft, the rounds do not cycle reliably and the brass just tumbles out of the ejection port. Maybe the problem is a combination of a new gun and soft loads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised that the HK45's O ring makes that big of a difference, but I seem to remember LAV being surprised by it as well. I am using CCI primers. I'm pretty sure the double feed was with WWB. From what I've read, I would have expected 5.0gr of 231 to be pretty stout for the 9mm. I will probably try seating it a little deeper and/or upping the powder to 5.2gr. Will also acquire some 124gr ammo. Anxious to try it again - was missing my 45. Just too bad it didn't fit my hand better.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Watarski,

I haven't checked my reloading manual for your powder but was does your manual say?

Try some quality 124 gr loads or get some plated heads and load them up to specs. As always, be careful loading your own.

Also, try leaving the slide locked to the rear overnight....or 2. YMMV

If you loved the accuracy but not the fit of the HK45, try the HK45compact. All the accuracy (IMHO) in a much more comfortable to hold/carry package.

Congrats on your trade!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I used two boxes of 124 gr. Winchester NATO Q4318 ammo and one box of 124 gr. +P Speer Gold Dot to break my P30 L in with zero malfunctions.

It devours any ammo now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The recoil spring issue is in the category of "well known."

O-ring enhancements to accuracy I have not seen documented anywhere. There are statements, but no data that I know of. Vickers and Hackathorn opted for O-rings on their recommendations for the HK45 and HK45c because, "There is no down side to the O-ring." They were not willing to assert that they could demonstrate any difference in accuracy w/ or w/out.

Any difference is likely only to be demonstrable from a fully controlled, no hands-on, bench rest test rig. No one's hands and hold, no matter how skilled, have zero shake.

If someone can show HK or some USG/SEAL or otherwise test results w/ and w/out O-rings, I would be delighted to see them. One hint lies w/ the USP, in that the standard barrels have no O-ring, while the tactical and other longer barreled models do. But there are other reasons that a longer-barreled version may have ever so slightly greater accuracy than what may be contributed by an O-ring.

In other words, there is no reason to buy or not buy any HK because of an O-ring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. Manual says max is 5.2gr, that's why I would have thought 5.0gr would have been decent. Will try the slide locked back overnight trick.

I also ordered a few boxes of Win NATO. Will head back out once that arrives. Also plan to bring my chrono so I can actually compare my reloads with the WWB.

I actually had a 45c prior to the 45 full size. I sold it to Rhino here on the boards. While I liked it, my finger got stung in the trigger trough, and with the decocking lever in place, my big hands were mighty cramped. If only I liked LEM...
Brings me to another question - Why can't HK bring a 45 to market with the decocker on the back of the slide like the 9mm pistols?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Brings me to another question - Why can't HK bring a 45 to market with the decocker on the back of the slide like the 9mm pistols?
OMG!!!! My long lost Brother!!

I thought I was the only one asking that question! I would trade my HK45 and HK45c for those versions in a NY minute!!!!

Ps...I use 5.3gr Unique. It's a middle ground load.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahaha! I was wondering if I was the only one. I would never have sold the 45 if it wasn't for that...I can deal with a narrow grip. There has to be a reason as to why HK doesn't offer that feature on the 45's.

I might try Unique powder next time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For the first time in my life, my chosen carry gun is NOT a .45. Putting a rear decocker on the 45c would cause me to buy two of them! And yes, I had a 45ct when they first came out but my big thumbs caused me to sell it for the P30 series.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
I feel like the accuracy issue is trigger related only in the sense that the trigger travel is longer for the P30. May need to get another HK45 so you can have the accuracy back.....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Congrats. Break her in a little more and she'll run flawlessly. Enjoy bud

1 - 13 of 13 Posts