HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I took my new USP 45 to the range last night, along with a Kimber I enjoy shooting - both guns have different purposes so I expected each to shoot differently.

The Kimber did as it alway does, 2" groups at 50' single handed bullseye practice.

The USP f 45 did about 5" groups at 50' single handed bullseye practice. I wasn't horribly disappointed, but concerned that all shots were low/left with the USP and right in the bull with the Kimber. I was shooting 200 grain LSWC in both guns with absolutely no problem.

What did concern me was my second box of reloaded ammo. This was 230 grain TC lead that had all gone through my RCBS 2000 press and each cartridge then went into my Wilson gauge with no problem. The Kimber ate them up with no problem, the USP would load the first round, shoot it just fine, but the second round would not go into battery. Tried this a few times and gave up with this load. Again, first round - no problem, follow up rounds all failed to go into battery - and I had to apply some real pressure to move the slide to eject this round each time. I was shooting these two handed - defensive position.

I gues my question is this, is the chamber on the USP f 45 that tight?

·
Registered
408 Posts
My Kimber chamber is loose, reloads that fit it didn't work in a scandium SW.
They all fit in my USPC 45 though, these are all jacketed bullets, round nose and truncated flat nose.

Are you running lead thru the HK ? is there a friction issue when they hit the feed ramp ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Kimber chamber is loose, reloads that fit it didn't work in a scandium SW.
They all fit in my USPC 45 though, these are all jacketed bullets, round nose and truncated flat nose.

Are you running lead thru the HK ? is there a friction issue when they hit the feed ramp ?
They are lead, but 200 Grain SWC worked well and 230 Grain Truncated Cone didn't. I don't think it's a feeding problem though, at least not from the feed ramp.

Brings up a good point though - should lead bullets not be used in the HK USP 45?

·
Registered
506 Posts
They are lead, but 200 Grain SWC worked well and 230 Grain Truncated Cone didn't. I don't think it's a feeding problem though, at least not from the feed ramp.

Brings up a good point though - should lead bullets not be used in the HK USP 45?
I'm no expert and don't know a thing about reloading, but everything I've read here is that lead bullets are not recommended for hexagonal bore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been having pretty much the same experience with my USP 45. My 230 gr Precision RNBB will chamber, fire then fail to return to battery. Takes a little effort to rack them out too. These are polymer coated bullets, not lead. The same size and shape in Blazer Brass function 100%. My Ranier SWC's feed and function just fine. All are loaded at 1.25" OAL. I'm thinking the reloads don't have quite enough pop? Maybe a break in question too.

I've only got 300 rounds or so through the HK so far, but it shoots like a frickin' laser. Steel Plates at 30 yards are no problem. Just have to get used to that trigger, transitioning from a Colt Gold Cup single action.

Shot one of my best IDPA scores yet this month with my HK, first time out. This gun just points so naturally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been having pretty much the same experience with my USP 45. My 230 gr Precision RNBB will chamber, fire then fail to return to battery. Takes a little effort to rack them out too. These are polymer coated bullets, not lead. The same size and shape in Blazer Brass function 100%. My Ranier SWC's feed and function just fine. All are loaded at 1.25" OAL. I'm thinking the reloads don't have quite enough pop? Maybe a break in question too.

I've only got 300 rounds or so through the HK so far, but it shoots like a frickin' laser. Steel Plates at 30 yards are no problem. Just have to get used to that trigger, transitioning from a Colt Gold Cup single action.

Shot one of my best IDPA scores yet this month with my HK, first time out. This gun just points so naturally.

Yep, sounds like the same problem. I only have 100 or so of the TC bullets loaded, so I'm just going to shoot them through my Kimber Gold Match. Everything else so far feeds perfectly through this HK. This is my second USP 45 and it shoots as good as my first one did! Especially once you get used to the trigger...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts